What's new

School me on cheap snow machines, sleds, snowmobiles...?

VG SERE

Yellow Skull
Member Number
Toying with the thought of a sled. I've kinda ridden, mostly groomed trails. Off trail, I dug a lot, and lifted and dug and lifted, repeat.... 2 winters worth anyway. Never my sleds.

Maybe $2500 max? Under $2000 would be awesome.

I'm not a speed demon. 240lbs in my Bday suit. Tight (mostly groomed) FS mountain roads.

What should I be looking for? What should I avoid?

https://spokane.craigslist.org/search/sna?query=snowmobile

Thanks

Any M7 would be good. Or 700 RMKs. The 2000-01 Mtn Maxs were good, though a little heavier. The M7 would be my first pick, try to find one with a 162" track.

If you want to stay on the groomed trails (lame) anything will work.

If you want to go in the trees and climb hills, a dragon would work. Pretty much entry level price used. They go up from there (price and function)

Any thing newer like that will have electronic reverse, which you need.

Definitely get a 162/165 track.

The nicest leaf sprung
IMG_20201128_114308812_HDR.jpg
​​​​​​ yamaha you can afford and send it. I just picked up another one today.

I love snow, it can be very fun in a wheeler or sxs, but also very frustrating depending on conditions. I really want to try a snow bike, but have never had much interest in sleds. If I could pick something decent up for $2-2500, it might be worth a shot.

Are they like dirt bikes in the way that, a dude could buy an 02 and have no issues riding with buddies with bike that are only a few years old? Or would it be more like everyone is going to be waiting on you?

Power wise unless you buy the cream of the crop new shot, the 15 year old stuff is right there?

I love snow, it can be very fun in a wheeler or sxs, but also very frustrating depending on conditions. I really want to try a snow bike, but have never had much interest in sleds. If I could pick something decent up for $2-2500, it might be worth a shot.

Are they like dirt bikes in the way that, a dude could buy an 02 and have no issues riding with buddies with bike that are only a few years old? Or would it be more like everyone is going to be waiting on you?

Power wise unless you buy the cream of the crop new shot, the 15 year old stuff is right there?

Nope. Snow bikes need big money 450 bikes. $15k starting.

The nicest leaf sprung ​​​​​​ yamaha you can afford and send it. I just picked up another one today.

As much as you think this is a joke this guys speaks the truth. I have more fun flogging my 1980 exciter than any new sled. I laugh the entire time I’m riding. See my trail missile thread for details lol.

Sorry, I didn't word it correctly. I wasn't trying to derail to snow bikes. I was just curious if riding say an 06 M7 with a group of guys on brand new sleds would suck or not?

Fwiw, I've found plenty of newer EFI 450s with snow bike kits for $7-9k even a couple ktm 500s.

Half true.

You need a 450. EFI preferred.

But you can buy and older bike and a used track kit
Mine is a 2014 ktm 450 xcf. $4500
My track is a used (barely) timbersled ST $2000

As much as you think this is a joke this guys speaks the truth. I have more fun flogging my 1980 exciter than any new sled. I laugh the entire time I’m riding. See my trail missile thread for details lol.

It's a certain type of person. I have more fun "bombing" in my samurai at 25 mph than I do going 50 in my sxs. The sxs is fun, but the thrill wears off quickly. The character of older stuff just grows with time.

Where I used to ride, any decent mountain sled and beginner rider could make it most places. Usually we would ride into a large play area and spend a couple hours playing around, with stuff of all difficulty levels. There definitely were some areas that had a higher skill ceiling and needed good machines to get to.

Biggest thing for mountain riding IMO is having a machine that is in reliable condition. They really suck to pull out and helicopter rides when you get them blown up down in some hell-hole are not cheap.

Where I used to ride, any decent mountain sled and beginner rider could make it most places. Usually we would ride into a large play area and spend a couple hours playing around, with stuff of all difficulty levels. There definitely were some areas that had a higher skill ceiling and needed good machines to get to.

Biggest thing for mountain riding IMO is having a machine that is in reliable condition. They really suck to pull out and helicopter rides when you get them blown up down in some hell-hole are not cheap.

Gotcha, kinda what I figured. I guess it doesn't really matter, I don't know many people with sleds, and the few that have them, I really wouldn't want to go with anyway. :laughing:​​​​​​

The cost vs a snow bike sure is tempting. But, I want to get a dirt bike anyway since we are slowly getting the kids into it. I know most say it's a pain to switch from snow to dirt mode, but it would only be twice a year. If I really like it, I could probably justify a dedicated snow bike.

Toying with the thought of a sled. I've kinda ridden, mostly groomed trails. Off trail, I dug a lot, and lifted and dug and lifted, repeat.... 2 winters worth anyway. Never my sleds.

Maybe $2500 max? Under $2000 would be awesome.

I'm not a speed demon. 240lbs in my Bday suit. Tight (mostly groomed) FS mountain roads.

What should I be looking for? What should I avoid?

https://spokane.craigslist.org/search/sna?query=snowmobile

Thanks

You should be able to get a good trail sled for $2500 or less. I have 4 sleds:
2000 ski doo mxz 700 that I paid $1800 for 4 years ago with about 5k miles. 126” track. It’s in great shape and runs strong

2002 mxz 700 with 2800 miles that I paid $2600 for, that included some spare parts and a lift. It’s a 136” and also runs strong.

2006 Arctic Cat CF7 that I bought a couple years ago for $2800. It had 1800 miles at the time, only has about 2500 on it now. This one is fuel injected. 136” track

2005 ski doo legend, four stroke 1000. I just bought this one for $2500 with 2500 miles. It’s in great shape with electric start and reverse.

I need to put scratchers on the 136” sleds before this season because they were running warm on the groomed trails last year when they were packed hard. I don’t have any seat time on the Legend yet, but the other 3 are quick enough to get you in trouble if you are not paying attention.

I would look for a twin 700 or 800 on your budget I’d also get a carb sled fuel pumps and computers are not cheap when they go out. Take a compression gage with you do a google search in what the numbers should be if there’s a split between the two or it’s low probably best too pass on that sled. The shocks and tracks get pricey also ask when the last shock rebuild or replacement was done. I usually check the track out really good too make sure there’s no rips or missing lugs and check for missing track guides there easy to replace but if a lot are missing it may be best to get a new track depending on the track size. If you look at a sled with studs check for ones missing or starting to pull thru and check the ski wear bars or carbides if it has them left

Its good to roll it over check track tension , give the As-arms good shake down , check the rear skid for damage and look over the belly pan . I’d also ask when the chain case oil or diamond drive oil was last changed also. The clutch’s can take a beating also look at the sheaves , rollers springs and helix also the belt condition bonus if it comes with a spare. If it has exhaust valves ask when they where last cleaned some have servos with cables that can wear.

If your going to be trail ridding a short track will be fine if you think you may be going off trail occasionally get something with at least a 136 track a good all around sled for some is a 141 -144 it really depends on skill level I take my snowhawk with a 136 places my friend takes his 151 snowhawk.

One thing to keep in mind is a mountain sled usually gets the pissed reamed out of it vs a trail sled a mountain cat 800 with 2500 miles may need a top end where as a zr800 with 2500 miles may have a lot of life left on a top end.

If find a sled your going to look at post it up someone or myself may be familiar with the model and no what to look out for. Good luck on your sled hunting

Last edited:
So what is the Irate sled site? I thought someone posted several sled sites to check out for learning and stuff. I want to buy another sled but I need educating on the subject. I checked the trail missle thread but I didnt see it there either. My sunday morning feeble mind cant remember where it was. Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

Looked again I must be mixi g threads up in my head. So what are some good sled sites with good info and without the normal my 2" penis is bigger than your 2" penis?

Last edited:

Yea, not totally a joke if OP wants to go where he's going to get stuck. Makes a big difference if he wants to go trail riding or bombing in the woods. My leafahas ride rough on whooped trails and are pretty much tapped out running 60-70 but when in deep snow they float and are so light they are easy to get out by myself. The 90's trail 121" sleds I've got are more comfortable on the trails and are suck in deep stuff and get stuck.

I don't know what to tell op to buy with that budget. Too much for a light weight leafer, but seems like too little for a mountain sled.
$200 exciter or $150 enticer is my answer for anyone wanting to start out. My $25 enticer is my favorite sled and I used to ride it a TON (then kids happened).

Don't get electric start, reverse, power steering, etc. Unless you are an old foge and will never get off a trail.

Last edited:
I have some ancient sleds but I don't ride them much. I was preparing to do exactly what you are earlier this fall. I was thinking about a $1500 -ish early 2000's RMK or something. The problem is that for "just a little bit more...." you can jump in years pretty quick. When I let off in my looking I was in the 4K area but was somewhere in the 2012 range.

Advice from my hot rod buddy who lives for this stuff was this. Always get the newest, least mileage sled you can for your money. That is probably some good advice.

Also, do some Googlefoo before you buy. There are some great sleds, but then there is one year and one model that sucks. I kept seeing this 2005 RMK for cheap. I was tempted and then found out that year ate cranks or something.

Good luck, I am jealous, but not going to do anything this year.

Pre rider forward mountain sleds can be had within that budget, except for maybe the king cats.

Or build a long track phazer powder bomber.

I got a free off Craigslist 89 Arctic cat jag 440 and a free off craigslist 97 SkiDoo Summit X 670. I'm told the Ski Doo was one of the first Mountain sleds. I had to redo all the fuel lines and I took apart the carbs and cleaned them up and put on a new primer and then it became reliable and easy to start and it has 2 inch paddles on the track so it doesn't get stuck much. Its bars are low so riding it standing up is not very comfortable for me being above average height but it is pretty kickass for everything I tried to do with it last year. I had to tow a newer Polaris that ate it's crankshaft 20 Miles with it too and it did fine.

The old Arctic cat has reverse and the heated grips work good which is funny to me but even with a long track with no paddles it is a trail not powder machine. The 670 has enough power to make your eyes go big too. Now I have a free off Craigslist pair of 2005 Arctic Cat 900s to make into one complete one, they're long tracks with big lugs and the bars are way higher too so should be a whole new ballgame for hillclimbing. Thank you Craigslist. :laughing:

I bought a 1988 Polaris Indy 400 and a 2000 Polaris XC700 plus a newer 2-place trailer this week for $4900. The 400 should be a perfect starter sled for my 15 year old son. It's light but not too powerful. It should get up to speed quickly but top out at around 80mph. We don't have mountains or really deep soft snow here. Mostly forest and lake-crossing trails with some ditch-banging mixed in.

OP, what are you looking for? Trail, mountain, or utility/combo? The suggestions you are getting are all over the place as far as use. The way I read it you'll be riding trails that are mostly groomed. That's perfect for a 136" or shorter track, any twin from 600-800cc. There's tons of options out there for that in the $2500 or less target. If you are going to get in the deep fresh shit once in awhile get a 136" with deeper paddles.

Is it really as small as it looks in the picture? That looks like a kids size sled.....

That’s a full sized snowmobile lol. Phazers were never very big from the get go. It’s fun for side hilling the pit walls.

So what is the Irate sled site? I thought someone posted several sled sites to check out for learning and stuff. I want to buy another sled but I need educating on the subject. I checked the trail missle thread but I didnt see it there either. My sunday morning feeble mind cant remember where it was. Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

Looked again I must be mixi g threads up in my head. So what are some good sled sites with good info and without the normal my 2" penis is bigger than your 2" penis?

Here’s a few to check out Snowest , Hardcore sledder , and Back country rebals

My folks have Ski-Doo Legends. I used to ride them thinking nothing of it. I went a few years, now I can't do any more than 10m. I have to sit on the brake light I'm so damned tall. I don't know how I ever did it.

No. I bought a 15 pro chassis 800 rmk 163 and still struggle to keep up with my buddies on new sleds. I still have to work and sometimes bypass stuff my buddies shoot right up. Oh, that's because I didn't want to spend the $6k it takes to do a turbo setup correctly.
I spent $5k for a 5 year old sled. It came with a belt drive ($750), skinz vented panels ($700), and 200 mile old forged pistons ($1400, included new built and balanced clutches). I found many stock ones for about the same price, but this one was straight and the track and driver's were in perfect condition. A damn 2.6" 163 track is about $1400 by itself.

So one of those things that everyone mods, find one you like.

The late 90's sleds still hold value because they're aerodynamic top speed ice killers. They're also fast on the trails because you're sitting on the ground. They're not comfortable and they're getting harder and harder to find parts for.

The newer sleds you can actually stand up on, and sit comfortably. If you have something like a pro/axis/pro climb/alpha you can still go 90% of the speed on the trails, and you can go off trail anytime you like without getting stuck.

Suspension setup is key with boondocking. Get it right, learn to sidehill, and you'll rarely be stuck until you try.

On the flip side my buddies wouldn't call me when I was screwing around with the old Indy. I could keep up on the trails so long as they were fairly freshly groomed. Off trail I couldn't even move without poaching their tracks. Heavy snow days I'd be getting stuck in the drifts in the trail with the little 133 and only 1.25" paddles.

And if you're buying a sled to run trails don't waste your money. I've never known anyone that has fun on trails. They're simply a way to get to the playground everything turns into with 12' of snow cover.:flipoff2:

Hard core sledder, its is a much kinder version of Irate.
And fuck you.:flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh