What's new

Scar17 or ar 10?

Fullsize80cherokee

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
CO, USA
Looking at buying a 7.62 rifle. I like the scar 17, seems like a pretty good platform can I build a superior ar10 for less? If so what should I be looking at?

AR10. That will give you options to change barrels or furniture. Well, that and the Scar is ugly.

AR-10, Cheaper way way more options for barrels receivers, ect. I shoot my Ar-10 in 6.5 CM way more than my SCAR 17.

I like the Scar and it's lighter than my AR-10 the way its configured currently, but if you want to do a lightweight AR-10 build you could definitely get in the same weight ballpark.

Scar Mags are more spendy and not as common.

Scars like to eat optics and you need to be pretty selective on and spend a decent amount to get something that will hold up to it's unique recoil impulse. I am currently seeking out a new optic and mount that will work for my 17. About the only thing certain to hold up is an Elcan Specter.

What do you want to do with the rifle?

I went through a few optics on the 17 before I found one that worked for any length of time. Its an older (10-15 years old) Leupold LVPO. I like both, but the 10 works better for most folks. If you are ever up this way, you can try anything I have here to see if you prefer one over the other.

I had an AR10 and then got the SCAR 17. Sold the AR10 as it was just too damned nose heavy or unbalanced compared to the SCAR 17. I replaced the plastic lower with an aluminum one capable of handling AR10 mags. It’s by no means a cheap firearm but I like it much more then the AR10. I could buy my AR10 back easy enough but just not interested enough to do it.

looking back I’d still do the same thing that’s pretty much all that matters to me about it. What ever makes you happy go with it

20181028_135425.jpg

The thing with AR-10s, just like AR-15s is there are umteen million configurations that you could build an AR-10 in.

A long heavy barreled 6.5 CM gun with a big scope set up as a bench gun isn't going to be vey handy for run and gun.
A 16" bbl lightweight build isn't going to be very good for punching paper at long range.

Again it comes down to what you want to use the rifle for and how you build it to handle that use.

The SCAR 17 is a pretty good jack of all trades depending on what optic you run. The internet consensus is they generally shoot about 1 MOA. There's quite a few guys who shoot them out to 800 Yards. I haven't shot mine past 300 yards. Again if you want to shoot longer range a SCAR 20 would be better.

Until the OP says what he wants to do with it you can't really answer the question.
If you are looking for something to hold it's value the the SCAR will be better than any home built AR.

20181028_135425.jpg

Forgot to add, it isn't recommended to run a cantilever scope mount on a SCAR-17. With the monolithic top rail you don't need one anyway. I have since swapped the optic setup off of my SCAR -17 and onto a 20" 6.5 Grendel, where it can live a happier longer life.

I am currently evaluation the options vs my budget for a new optic and mount. Best mounts out there are supposed to be the Bobro scar mount:

SCAR/Monolithic Rail Mount-B17-187 (bobroengineering.com)
and the

AD-Delta Scope Mount - Black - No Offset-Titanium levers (admmfg.com)

Yeh, I know which is why I asked. I have one I'm going to put up for sale so I've been watching the market for the last 8 months and thats how its been, far from stupid prices

I was going to post about how heavy SCARs are, but I thought they were more than 8 lbs? Hard pass for me either way and AR 10 all day long.

I was going to post about how heavy SCARs are, but I thought they were more than 8 lbs? Hard pass for me either way and AR 10 all day long.

The rifle itself is lightweight, it's all the junk people usually have hanging off them that makes them heavy. I'd wager most AR-10s are heavier.
Then again it all depends on how the AR 10 is set up.

If you want lightweight you may want to check out the POF revolution.

Revolution - POF-USA - .308 WIN Gas Piston Operated Weapon Systems (pof-usa.com)

One thing to be aware of if building an AR-10 is there is no mill-spec standard and parts compatibility is all over the place.

The rifle itself is lightweight, it's all the junk people usually have hanging off them that makes them heavy. I'd wager most AR-10s are heavier.
Then again it all depends on how the AR 10 is set up.

If you want lightweight you may want to check out the POF revolution.

Revolution - POF-USA - .308 WIN Gas Piston Operated Weapon Systems (pof-usa.com)

One thing to be aware of if building an AR-10 is there is no mill-spec standard and parts compatibility is all over the place.

I just thought they weighted in the 10+ range. Maybe it was the balance? I dunno, it's been a few years since I've handled one.

When I was running the SIG 308 at night it was heavy as crap and opted for a much lighter AR pistol set up and never looked back. Scope, light, battery pack, DVR, 20-30 round mag.... you got that right, weight adds up quickly. I don't know what the OP intends to use it for so one of what I said matters. lol

Top Back Refresh