What's new

Savage Axis line?

Never Monday

Resistor
Member Number
Thoughts?
Seem cheap, but hard to pass up at $400 with a scope.

I wouldnt put much faith in that scope:laughing:

I know a few folks that have them. Decent enough rifle for their standards

My boss bought 3 for his kids in .350 legend. They work well enough. They’re cheap enough not to cry when your kid drops it.

My son bought one from a friend of mine in .308.

Hits 12” steel at 350 yds., it’s his first rifle. Don’t think he’s shot 100 rds. total in his life with a rifle other than a couple thousand rds of .22 in Boy Scouts.

Personally I’m going with a Ruger American. I don’t hunt yet, always thinking about deer season and giving it a try. but need something to harvest food.

My son bought one from a friend of mine in .308.

Hits 12” steel at 350 yds., it’s his first rifle. Don’t think he’s shot 100 rds. total in his life with a rifle other than a couple thousand rds of .22 in Boy Scouts.

Personally I’m going with a Ruger American. I don’t hunt yet, always thinking about deer season and giving it a try. but need something to harvest food.
I often say that everything is better now, better materials, better machining, better ammo, MUCH better optics, ballistic apps, etc., but that doesn't mean that there are not some great vintage rifles out there for a song. If you're looking for a deer rifle, there are many, many options. .243, .308, 30-06, shit even 30-30 which has probably put more meat in the freezer than any other cartridge, except maybe 12ga BS. Not trying to talk you out of an American, it would be my first choice in a budget new rifle, but there's some damn fine walnut stock options out there.

I often say that everything is better now, better materials, better machining, better ammo, MUCH better optics, ballistic apps, etc., but that doesn't mean that there are not some great vintage rifles out there for a song. If you're looking for a deer rifle, there are many, many options. .243, .308, 30-06, shit even 30-30 which has probably put more meat in the freezer than any other cartridge, except maybe 12ga BS. Not trying to talk you out of an American, it would be my first choice in a budget new rifle, but there's some damn fine walnut stock options out there.
Our gun store is owned by my son’s Scoutmaster that he got his Eagle from and on Fathers Day weekend has a MASSIVE sale on hundreds of new, consignment, and new, and Miwall is open to the public.

Also my neighbor and a really cool ol’ guy.

I’m starting there for used and then if that doesn’t pan out I’m going new Ruger.

I bought a 1911 and a Buckmark in the last 2 months I need to tone it down a little the rest of the Spring anyway.

Props to your kid for getting his ES. I got mine in one troupe where me and another kid were in kind of a race to get our badges, and we finally came together and helped each other and decided it didn't matter who got there first. Taught me a good lesson.

Cheap bore scopes are out there and a godsend for checking used rifles. Being in GV, you're probably not dealing with a lot of rust issues unless some dipshit has not taken care of the gun, but it's good to look before buying. I use this one.

Caliber? Intended use?
I don’t have anything in mind right now. Perusing the racks at my local shop. I was drawn by the price tag and extras to look at it more closely. Like I said, it seemed cheap on first feels.
IBB has better reviews than random search results. 👍

As far as cheap rifles go, I have a...22:confused: year old Remington 710 in 30-06. I have dragged that thing through hell and back (cause it's too damn heavy to carry:laughing:), and it keeps going bang, and animals keep falling over dead. I can reliably shoot 1.5moa with it, using good ammo.

Dad gave it to me for my 16th birthday, and every year I look at a few other guns, go though a period of fantasy building rifles, then grab the old rusty 710 and go fill tags.

Also, I haven't enjoyed my savage centerfires. My .22mag is a hoot though.

As far as cheap rifles go, I have a...22:confused: year old Remington 710 in 30-06. I have dragged that thing through hell and back (cause it's too damn heavy to carry:laughing:), and it keeps going bang, and animals keep falling over dead. I can reliably shoot 1.5moa with it, using good ammo.

Dad gave it to me for my 16th birthday, and every year I look at a few other guns, go though a period of fantasy building rifles, then grab the old rusty 710 and go fill tags.

Also, I haven't enjoyed my savage centerfires. My .22mag is a hoot though.
710s had an absolutely horrid reputation and you couldn’t hardly give them away but I had the same luck as you with mine . 710 was onto made for 01-06 .

710s had an absolutely horrid reputation and you couldn’t hardly give them away but I had the same luck as you with mine . 710 was onto made for 01-06 .

Dad won it the night before my 16th birthday at a wildlife federation dinner. I've spent more of my life hunting with it than I spent not hunting with it. Been a great rifle.

Dad won it the night before my 16th birthday at a wildlife federation dinner. I've spent more of my life hunting with it than I spent not hunting with it. Been a great rifle.
I traded for mine and it was great it was a .270. Don’t remember what I did with it but I need to pick up another .270 it’s my favorite whitetail round .

I had one back when it was called the edge and didn’t have the accutrigger. Mine was a 223 and I went 4/5 on steel plate beyond 200 off a bipod at the range my first try and I didn’t grow up shooting. Great gun. Reliable just like it should be. It will do everything you ask of it. Just put some excellent glass on it and go for it.

The trigger will suck ass unless you get the accutrigger. It is a good basic rifle though.

I have one in 223 that works well... but that trigger...ugh. I cannot complain for the price I paid.

Top Back Refresh