What's new

Sandblast or Wet Sandblasting setup

Duc

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
ABQ NM
I have been looking into a setup for sand blasting large parts then what currently fits in my sandblasting cabinet. I have a nice skat blast cabinet for smaller parts but large parts such as truck frames or other things are to much for the cabinet. Living in NM means I can care less about adding more sand to my property since my 5 acres is mostly sand. Hopefully some people have some experience in the different setups. I have a 80 gallon IR 2 stage air compressor with additional 80 gallon air storage tank currently.

Pressure pot setup
-HF unit gets eh reviews

Wet blastiing kit - $200 from home depot
This setup would require decent pressure washer to run. Been looking at a dewalt pressure washer from home depot for $800. 4000 PSI and 3.5 GPM specs. I need a decent one for around the property anyways.

DIY setup
-Build a pressure pot setup for wet blasting or dry blasting

Laser
-Out of cost range

Any thoughts or experience with different setups for sand blasting large items?

One of my friends has a body shop. He built his own using a big old propane cylinder. Holds about 600# of sand. He runs it off a tow behind compressor.
IDK the specs on anything. It's been years since I've helped him blast. It is nice to have a 2nd guy to switch off or even just to load sand and help drag the hose around.

SV Seeker has some good videos of all the wet blasting stuff.

The Homeless Depot kit seems very expensive.

The one I have i paid maybe $50-60 I think.

I have that one, works well with the 4gpm 4400 psi power washer. It will suck down a 50lb bag of sand in about 5-10 minutes and go through a tip every hour or so.

No real complaints but I only have used it on smaller projects not a whole trailer or something large.

You can dry blast outdoors in the summer but it's miserable. You can't wet blast outdoors in the winter. Well you can but you gotta wait for it to be not winter to get the frozen silt off of everything. That might force your hand depending on where in NM you live.

The small HF pressure pot holds exactly one bag which IMO makes it pretty perfect for dragging out to blast one singular large object (axle, bumper, pair of fenders, etc). For the price I'd just start there. You can always add wet blasting to it later.

Last edited:
I did end up purchasing the dewalt 4000 psi pressure washer and wet blasting kit from Home depot. The sandblaster is actually from www.velociperformance.com, kit 16.0117 but includes the Nozzle holder 1/4 QC inlet x 1/4 fpt outlet, 0 degree nozzles for .035, .040 and .045 for home depot.

Tube has a OD of 1in with a inner sleeve for the sand pickup. Hose is 1in ID
1713575581200.png

Also picked up 6 50lbs bags of Black Diamond fine blasting media for 12.99each at Tractor Supply. Alot cheaper than HF or other places
1713575984618.png

Small section of the NM frame from a junkyard
1713576022688.png

Roughly a minute of blasting
1713576087563.png

To me it worked fucking amazing. Tomorrow when the Gopro is charged I will try to get a video recorded of a section.

Top Back Refresh