What's new

Samantha Build - 2wd to 4wd

You need shafts from a coil sprung 4Runner rear axle. They are slightly longer than the pickup shafts. Without the correct shafts you run the risk of breaking side gears in the elocker. A guy went through 3 elockers before he realized the shafts were the incorrect length.

Then you still break the side gears, just not as easy.

The stock e locker is great in my 96 4runner, it cost me nothing. I will never retrofit another e locker again, huge waste of money.

It has been a while since my last post but #4wdsamantha is till happening, just a lot slower than I had ever planned, but here are a few things that I have completed.

20210522_151149.jpg

I started building the rear axle. I cut a chunk of the 1/16" stock housing out and added a piece of 3/16" plate in its place. During this process I also removed about 1/4 of the housing depth so I could get a little more ground clearance.

Check out the video of this process and the build here:

After I got the housing built the way that I wanted it it was time to insert the E-locker

02-Clearance-Elocker.jpg

The E-locker 3rd member was hitting the backside of the rear axle housing so I used a ball peen hammer head with a small sledge to make all the room that was required.

Once the Elocker fit into the housing I was able to start drilling out and making the new mounting stud holes.

03-New-holes_Elocker.jpg

This was a hell of a process since one of the new holes was slightly off the flat surface.

View the process in the video:

Once the axle was complete I tried a series of different leaf springs to try and figure out what best to run, I think I came to a good conclusion but I am curious what you think.

04-Rear-Suspension.jpg

Above are aftermarket tundra springs that are 62" long but have quite a lift to them so I have them set at a spring under configuration. The picture below is chevy 63" and they are sitting at spring over

05-Rear-Suspension.jpg

My goal is to have a low center of gravity build and when I run the Tundra springs my belly height is around 21" compared to the 25" of the chevy 63" Springs.

I ran through a few different sets of springs including ford 56s forwards and backward all trying to figure out how these Liquid Iron Industries Slider Box will fall, and the overall height of the vehicle.

I want to know what you think about the different belly heights, view the video where I go over everything:

My Tacoma is a low rider with around a 21" belly height on leafs and 37s and it's annoying. I wouldn't mind it being a few inches higher. Its really stable, but it drags on everything and I have dented the frame rails pretty bad in a few spots bumping over ledges. Never in my wheeling life I would have guessed I would be dealing with denting frame rails but here we are lol!!

My Tacoma is a low rider with around a 21" belly height on leafs and 37s and it's annoying. I wouldn't mind it being a few inches higher. Its really stable, but it drags on everything and I have dented the frame rails pretty bad in a few spots bumping over ledges. Never in my wheeling life I would have guessed I would be dealing with denting frame rails but here we are lol!!
Yeah, I'm aiming for 21, but it's going to be a bit higher maybe 23"

Go with the Chevy 63's spring over. I would be afraid the spring under would be too low for 37s. If its already at 21" on pretty much a bare frame, its gonna drop a little once its a complete truck again. (bed, cab, bumpers etc.) Not to mention when you load up for a weekend Rubicon trip its gonna drop a touch more. It's something to keep in mind. I've always liked spring under in the rear, but that usually with 14 bolts and 40" - 42" tires.

Top Back Refresh