What's new

Sam I am

Just found a replacement crank pulley, fwiw an 89-94 metro 3cyl is 4 bolt like the Sami, but uses double serp belts :grinpimp:

FAKE NEWS! :homer:

It's so close, but not quite. It will bolt on, water pump and alt belt lines up, but is a 3 rib belt instead of a 4 rib and the power steering pulley is ~1/4" further out.

So I drilled the spot welds out of the Sami pulley and am welding it to the kick pulley.

That’s a badass rig. I thought my zuk already did awesome in the snow. Do yo keep the tracks on always or swap them back and forth? How do they wares do how much are replacements?

They do pretty good with decent tires. We get a pretty large amount of snowfall just up from me, sometime there is 20' of snow pack at ~6k feet. In those pics, there is probably 5', mostly fresh powder. My buddy on 47s could not even come close to following me :laughing:​​​​​​

Tracks are a new thing, but basically will be for powder season. Once the snow starts melting and firms up, I'll go back to tires, unless it's a rescue mission.

No idea on wear, with the limited use they get and mostly being in snow, they'll probably last a very long time. Haven't looked at replacement rubber yet.

Went up again and had a blast. The 'Rolla carb is a pretty amazing upgrade. It's not earth shattering power gains, but the low and mid range is pretty noticeable. Really helped since I was getting stuck between 1st and 2nd on almost any hill before, now it will lug 2nd a bit more. It was also a bitch to get it to idle when cold before, now, it's a little better. Still a cold blooded bitch.

Was putting in the rcv's and spartan locker. The tracker side gears I had to update to 26 spline were so close, but won't work. So I gotta pull a spare rear axle I have apart.

Sometimes I forget how small this stuff is :laughing:

Anyone know what the purpose of the super long splines is?

IMG_20210130_201146.jpg

Also that thing is awesome and is making think that I need a samurai in my driveway.

I'm not familiar with Sammy stuff but is it a straight axle? Maybe so you can shorten the tube then the shafts to match.

Basically all Sami axles are the same width. All are like 52" wms, so nobody is going to narrow one. If the made it longer and then cut down for stock, that would make more sense. But really the amount of people doing custom Sami axles is slim to none.

Also that thing is awesome and is making think that I need a samurai in my driveway.

Thanks, it definitely a hoot.

Driving it is what I can only imagine it's like to be a Kardashian in public, everyone has their phones out, all smiling, thumbs up, everyone has a comment. :laughing:

I'm not familiar with Sammy stuff but is it a straight axle? Maybe so you can shorten the tube then the shafts to match.

Are they able to use 1 length and spline process for both sides? Then just cut the short one to length after. Maybe there is some other application where they cut it down. Does seem odd to me.

Are they able to use 1 length and spline process for both sides? Then just cut the short one to length after. Maybe there is some other application where they cut it down. Does seem odd to me.

Nope, they're both that way. The long side splines definitely are long enough to be cut into a short side either.

I can email them, I actually curious.

Nope, they're both that way. The long side splines definitely are long enough to be cut into a short side either.

I can email them, I actually curious.

I know this isn’t it, but it kind of reminds me of Toyota e-locker splines for the 9.5” diffs

I know this isn’t it, but it kind of reminds me of Toyota e-locker splines for the 9.5” diffs

Ya, I was trying to think of some obscure elocker or something but came up blank. I really have no idea. I'll email dufus at rcv nd see if he knows.

You called it

"There is a locker that uses all 6" of spline on some Suzuki Samurai axles."

After you said that, I started remembering seeing some elocker overseas that requires a ton of mods, including custom axle shafts.

Went up last night. Literally spent 2 hours driving up ruts to get to the deep snow, which was fun, but man are the tracks terrible on anything but powder or groomed trail. :laughing:

This place does some weird shit sometimes, it won't let me add text after the last Pic, which I've done many times. Oh well.

Got a wild hair up my ass to go snow camping. Took my 8 yr old and headed up.

I decided to launch from a local snow mobile staging area instead of the typical spot that's just the place they quit plowing the road. I figured I may as well take advantage of the tracks. Mf'n road was groomed most of the way, it was a big upgrade :laughing:

Also tried a Swedish rocket stove or some shit I saw on you tube. Basically you split a ~12" diameter round into 6 or so pieces, chop the tips off and kinda reassemble it back into a round. I didn't really watch the whole video so I'm not sure what the correct way to secure it back together is, but we used pine branch, worked for a while. Then you obviously get the wood going from the center. Once it's going decent put your pot on and cook away. Worked surprisingly well and actually never tipped over despite 2 pieces falling out. We did the cheater version in the morning and just used the chainsaw for the same effect but didn't cut all the way through, so it held together.

All in, it was a great trip. Sami did awesome as always. I just need someone else to build one so I have someone to go with.

It’s amazing how much stuff you packed in on that little thing.

Holy crap do you guys have a lot of snow! No wonder you need tracks.

Looks like you guys had a good time. Good luck getting a buddy to build one. If your friends are like mine, you’ll be the only one driving one of these shitboxes. :laughing:

It’s amazing how much stuff you packed in on that little thing.

Holy crap do you guys have a lot of snow! No wonder you need tracks.

Looks like you guys had a good time. Good luck getting a buddy to build one. If your friends are like mine, you’ll be the only one driving one of these shitboxes. :laughing:

Ya, it was loaded down fore sure :laughing:​​​​​​

Snow pack is actually pretty low right now, double that or more is not uncommon. We usually get some good storms in March and even April, so hopefully we can get some more.

No kidding, I can't believe other people don't want to drop tons of money on shit like this :laughing:

$350 Sami + $4k in tracks.... let me jump right on that!

More like $5500 :laughing:​​​​​​

Still cheaper, by far, then a rig on 49s+

It’s a tough spot to be in; it sounds as if you are slower than a sxs on tracks but could be both faster and slower (on the same day) than a wheeled rig, depending upon snow conditions.

It’s a tough spot to be in; it sounds as if you are slower than a sxs on tracks but could be both faster and slower (on the same day) than a wheeled rig, depending upon snow conditions.

Well yes, if speed is what you're after, this ain't it :laughing:​​​​​​

My little bit of experience with the sxs's is that they all want to spin. So once the snow conditions get shitty, even with tracks, they can have issues.

As far as a rig on big tires, they can't compare as far as capability, but they are 100 times more versatile.

Nice build. If I lived there I would buy tracks for sure. We don’t get much winter anymore in Pa

Went back to your snow camping pics, I always love a fully packed gypsy wagon style rig. :dustin:

Oh and for the Swedish rocket stove, baling wire is what you need to tie it together.

Went back to your snow camping pics, I always love a fully packed gypsy wagon style rig. :dustin:

Oh and for the Swedish rocket stove, baling wire is what you need to tie it together.

Ya, bailing wire would defiantly make sense. I hadn't thought of it before we left. The chain saw version was way easier :laughing:

Well I got this thing fully registered for the road up here. Drove it to Mt havoc today and I am pretty impressed how well it drives at ~60 mph....... If it gets to 60 :laughing: seems to do OK up to about 52-55 but it doesn't like 60 unless it's down hill.

As usual, it got a bunch of comments from other wheelers.

IMG_20210612_120358.jpg

Trying to blend in :laughing:
IMG_20210612_131944.jpg

Repping the sticker.

Top Back Refresh