What's new

Sam I am

How hard is it to steer it?

Pretty similar to the 32a aired down, moving isn't too bad, but pretty hard when stopped. The electric rack on the talon would just cut off if any other electrical item was on besides head lights.

I have a complete track kick power steering system waiting to go on.

I switched from manual hubs to drive flanges because the tracks don't have a through hole and I didn't want to run a 4" adapter. The stock flanges off the 2nd gen tracker are a perfect fit. The only thing is they don't use come washers. I was a little worried about just regular bolts coming loose or breaking so I went with some arp bolts. P# ARP 134-1002

On my last toyota axle, I drilled it all out to 7/16" and then used arp bolts, even though these hub locking hubs will interchange with the Toyota, the wheel hub and drive flange just didn't have the meat for that.

I have thought about getting some adapters to run cheap stock sxs takeoffs on a kick. Good to know the flanges solve the hub issue.

Pretty similar to the 32a aired down, moving isn't too bad, but pretty hard when stopped. The electric rack on the talon would just cut off if any other electrical item was on besides head lights.

I have a complete track kick power steering system waiting to go on.

Not sure what your pulley sizes are compared to the 8v kick. When I had my 8v, I recall the steering sucking at idle. IIRC there was a pressure sensor on the kick pump that raised the RPM when the pump was in demand. Mine was converted to lpg, so i didnt have that feature. Pump could have just been junk too, idk.

Not sure what your pulley sizes are compared to the 8v kick. When I had my 8v, I recall the steering sucking at idle. IIRC there was a pressure sensor on the kick pump that raised the RPM when the pump was in demand. Mine was converted to lpg, so i didnt have that feature. Pump could have just been junk too, idk.

It's full manual right now :laughing:​​​​​​

I'm hoping everything from the 8v bolts on. From what I read, it should, mostly, just need to possibly relocate the pump to clear the steering box.

I see what youre saying. It's been years since I had the psc full hydro on my 8v, but it makes sense since the 8v crank pulley is so small compared to most engines.

Last edited:
I have thought about getting some adapters to run cheap stock sxs takeoffs on a kick. Good to know the flanges solve the hub issue.

Should work well, the sxs wheels have a lot of back spacing, so ~2" spacers might work out. The nice thing is that brand new aluminum beadlocks are like $100 ea, but when you add the $400 for the adapters kinda ruins that.

Should work well, the sxs wheels have a lot of back spacing, so ~2" spacers might work out. The nice thing is that brand new aluminum beadlocks are like $100 ea, but when you add the $400 for the adapters kinda ruins that.

if it lets you get into the 14" wheel, it opens the door on UTV tire options.

On a similar topic. I was thinking about the yota/kick lockouts. How similar are the yota & kick hubs? could you swap kick hubs on a yota axle to get 5lug without redrilling? Would match a kick rear axle nicely.

if it lets you get into the 14" wheel, it opens the door on UTV tire options.

On a similar topic. I was thinking about the yota/kick lockouts. How similar are the yota & kick hubs? could you swap kick hubs on a yota axle to get 5lug without redrilling? Would match a kick rear axle nicely.

I used to think that too, but unless you want to run 28s, the 15" market is growing, more and more sxs's are coming with them. I guess the other option is to buy the adapters and try to score some stock rzr beadlocks and tires, but again the $400 adapters offset the savings quite a bit. At that point you could probably do the same circle track beadlock kit (~$160) and stock samurai wheels, then have money for brand new tires.

Wheel hubs aren't even close.

At that point, just do toyotas front and rear. The vitara 3rd is cool, but limited gear options and still the same size axle shafts as the samurai.

Last edited:
I used to think that too, but unless you want to run 28s, the 15" market is growing, more and more sxs's are coming with them. I guess the other option is to buy the adapters and try to score some stock rzr beadlocks and tires, but again the $400 adapters offset the savings quite a bit. At that point you could probably do the same circle track beadlock kit (~$160) and stock samurai wheels, then have money for brand new tires.

Wheel hubs aren't even close.

At that point, just do toyotas front and rear. The vitara 3rd is cool, but limited gear options and still the same size axle shafts as the samurai.

agreed.

I was more thinking about it since I have a yota front and kick leftovers. Looking for a cheap setup. I've also see yota side gears in a kick carrier. Weld it up and have a cheap geared rear or hybrid front.

agreed.

I was more thinking about it since I have a yota front and kick leftovers. Looking for a cheap setup. I've also see yota side gears in a kick carrier. Weld it up and have a cheap geared rear or hybrid front.

I've thought that, just seems like a lot of work for not much gain. I've yet to check and see if any thing much bigger than stock will fit though the carrier bearings.

Well RCV has been disappointing :(

They told Austin they had 3 sets in stock when I ordered just before Thanksgiving. I wasn't in a rush, but figured I'd see what was up around the middle of December. He called and they said 3 weeks :homer: He obviously offered to refund me money or put it towards another brand.

OK, fine, I'll wait for the good shit. He calls again about 4 weeks later and they say 3 weeks :mad3: wtf?

Trying to decide if I should just go with TG or not. I'm not planning on hammering this thing, but I really wanted the best shafts.

Are there any other companies making Sami chromos? Double tough shafts are discontinued and the only other ones I can find are nitro, but heard they are always out of stock.

I don’t know about now, but Nitro used to be Rcv’s. My fj80 set arrived direct from Rcv, in an Rcv box.

Rcv said that they should ship today :grinpimp:​​​​​​

Got the power steering on yesterday. Its funny how well standard power steering works on a Sami since it's so light. It will steer the tracks no problem, even not moving, as long as I tap the throttle up a hair.

I used all stock track kick stuff, with the trail Tough bracket to move the pump up since it won't clear the box. I might do a mini write up since there isn't much info out there. You have to swap everything over, if you want to use the crank pulley, since it's serp. The alt and water pump pulley, just swap, the crank pulley has the same pilot and key way, but has 5 holes instead of 4 on the Sami. It's pretty simple to redrill since the holes don't have to be perfect. Just don't make the mistake I made and put the pulleys back to back for a template. The keyway is offset of the 4 bolts and none of the holes will line up :homer: I flipped it and redrill Ed, but now have basically 13 holes in that tiny space. I'm worried it might crack. I need to source another stock pulley which are anywhere from $65-200 online :laughing:

No work untill 7pm, so I'm working on the 6.4 case. I have an extra stock case, so I can keep the 4.16 case complete.

It's not wanting to cooperate. Speedo gear deal was stuck AF and took a few hours, some ruined tools, plus Google to get out. Broke a few bolts getting the halfs apart, then I find rust in the case :homer:

Jesus give me patience :laughing:

Well for $60, I don't know why I didn't order the bearing kit. Saves time and then you know it's all new. One of the out put bearings has a bit of rust in it. So I'm stuck.

I did pull the 4.88 diff out of the spare pos to make sure it had 4.88s, it does.

Well this is snowballing lately :laughing:​​​​​​

Pressed the bearings off the output shaft and found pretty bad wear on the shift gear teeth. Low range has new replacements for $180, may as well get the HD front out put as well.

Ordered a tcase bearing kit and front axle rebuild kit from roadless gear, then proceeded to find a bunch of little shit on their website to add on. :laughing:

Figured while I was in the mood, I'd order the 'Rolla 3k carb kit from certified machine. Wilson has it on his, I've driven it a fair amount and it's definitely the best running carb Sami I've driven or been around.

Thats good to know. Did you swap a stock kick pump in, or an aftermarket pump with kick pulley?

All stock kick stuff.

I did have a tc pump bracket I could have used, but this seemed easier. I know buddies who have had issues trying to feed a stock box too much fluid. The pump is constantly bypassing.

To update on the rcv's, apparently they shipped on the 22nd and are due tomorrow. So now I might be waiting on the axle bearing kit :laughing:

Feeling like this is way too accurate lately :homer::laughing:
IMG_20210127_091001.jpg

​​​​​

But it feels better than spending thousands on a car that cost 10s of thousands, like a sxs or JK

Meh, I’m pretty happy with my jk purchase. I bought it built and haven’t really had to touch it in two years.

randomly click on this thread and it doesnt matter. you have a vehicle with tracks, worth every penny.

all the jks ive been in make me feel claustrophobic.

Lol, I’m an average sized guy and was always amazed at how big I looked sitting in my LJ, from other’s pictures. The Jk is an improvement, with two kids, but it’s tight with the dog in the mix and loaded down for a weekend. “Jeep’s” are just smaller, in general.

Was a great time, power steering worked great, for like 20 mins :laughing: blew the pressure line that I knew I should replace :laughing: wasn't a huge deal, just pulled the belt and was back to how it was before.

Side note, does anyone know if I can rotate the pitman arm a spline or 2? It's a little different than the Sami one and my drag link is too short. I tried beating it off, with no luck. Have to get a puller.

As far as the tracks, it was a blast. My buddy on 47s couldn't follow me, and the other guys on smaller tires weren't even close.

Definitely need the front locker in, should have everything by Saturday., so hoping to do a real test sat night or Sunday.

That’s a badass rig. I thought my zuk already did awesome in the snow. Do yo keep the tracks on always or swap them back and forth? How do they wares do how much are replacements?

Top Back Refresh