What's new

Salting rice

Provience

Kill!
Member Number
Loc
Gatesville, TX
Seems the internet is not too much help. Do you salt your rice? If so, how?

Never made rice before about a month ago. Turns out, it's easy.

Also, I've found that 15 cranks on the sea salt grinder, generic from the store, was too much. 12 cranks while boiling seems to be good. Plus about 6 or 8 cranks of black pepper.

Am I gonna die of heart failure? It's been an hour and I've got a good nasal salt drip going on still:lmao:

Cheap white rice: just under 2x water to rice, coffee cup measure just fine.
Water in pot, bring to boil, add salt, stir.
Add rice, let it boil again, cover and reduce heat to simmer for 15-20 minutes or whatever.
Leave covered off heat for 10-15 minutes, fluff with fork.
Add in whatever protein or veggies was being cooked while it stood and eat. Can of tuna works good

Also, I've found that 15 cranks on the sea salt grinder, generic from the store, was too much. 12 cranks while boiling seems to be good. Plus about 6 or 8 cranks of black pepper.

Am I gonna die of heart failure? It's been an hour and I've got a good nasal salt drip going on still:lmao:

Add rice, let it boil again, cover and reduce heat to simmer for 15-20 minutes or whatever.
Add in whatever protein or veggies was being cooked while it stood and eat. Can of tuna works good

Rinse rice until waters clear

Toss 1 cup rice to 2 cups water, a 1/2tsp salt , 1 tbsp butter in the insta pot and hit the rice button. Perfect rice everytime. This ratio can be multiplied. We make this at least 2 times a week if not more.

Just made some kickass Spanish rice in the insta pot tonight in fact.

Did butter once, didn't notice the difference so I've left it out since.

The same amount of butter, but in a pan and hot is a great way to reheat rice though

Instapot Spanish rice

1.5 cups rice
1/4 cup oil

1/4 medium oinion Finely diced
1tsp minced garlic
1tsp ground tomato bullion (picture of a chicken on it)
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1.5 cups chicken broth

Optional
chopped carrot
1/3 cup frozen peas

Rinse the rice
Turn insta pot to sauté. Heat up oil when hot toss rice in and sauté till it’s light brown. 5-10 mins

After rice is brown toss everything else in. Make sure bullion is dissolved. Hit manual 4 minutes. Let it naturally release for 10 mins take cover off and set on top to let it rest for a few minutes.

The perfect Spanish rice like you get from the Mexican restaurants.

Took like 10 tries to get the right recipe.

Last edited:
I put oil in my rice.

Soak rice overnight (can be less)
Drain then rinse
Add water to rice (I way overdue the 1/2 ratio)
Add tablespoon or 2 of oil (sesame oil if making chinese)
Bring to boil then let simmer until tender

No instant pot, no minute rice, just good ol' fashion stove top rice.

I asked my wife about Salt in rice, this was her response :lmao: . She is Chinese.
This is what you cook rice in. No Transgender Insta pot, No uncle Ben. No stove top.

9BAEB195-1B85-4A25-B4F4-6C53F47E7040.jpeg

I asked my wife about Salt in rice, this was her response :lmao: . She is Chinese.
This is what you cook rice in. No Transgender Insta pot, No uncle Ben. No stove top.

9BAEB195-1B85-4A25-B4F4-6C53F47E7040.jpeg

How long does it take to make rice is one of those things? Seems more complicated than The stove :laughing:

A rice cooker or insta pot takes like 15-20mins to cook a batch.

Rice cooker is the best but can basically only make rice. We have run out of cabinet space in the kitchen so we use the next best thing the insta pot. We use the insta pot a ton to help make quick meals after work.

Salt n butter

lessn yer a sloap

Eta
Like the above posts I make a vegggie stock and use it for the water...:beer:

Last edited:
I boil meats & save the water for rice later. It is already flavored, greasy & ready to use.
No fancy cooking gadgets; just the microwave & plastic bowl...
~Put rice in bowl, add the flavored water & sprinkle salt. Mix & place in microwave on high (depending) for 6 1/2 mins, stir a bit & nuke it again for extra 3-4 mins. Let sit until it becomes al dente.
Add whatever suits your fancy.

Pretty much the same routine w/pasta-

2:1 water to rice, a little salt, up to a tablespoon of butter per cup of rice, bring to a boil (stirring at least once), stir once after it starts to boil, reduce heat to ~20%, cover and let simmer for 10-15 minutes (until its soft enough and most of the water has boiled away), remove from heat and let sit covered for 5-10 minutes while you get everything else ready.
Sometimes we use bullion or chicken/beef broth to replace some or all of the water (especially when having with chicken or beef)
Spanish rice is also good, seems to cook faster when you brown the rice first.
Our oldest will eat bowl after bowl of plain white rice with soy sauce on it...

Aaron Z

How long does it take to make rice is one of those things? Seems more complicated than The stove :laughing:
We had one like that and GF couldn't figure it out. We picked up a really basic one and it does what it needs to do very well. Add rice and liquid turn it on and walk away, it flips to a keep warm mode when the rice is done.

As far as rice goes we don't use Minute rice or Uncle Bens etc. we will go with a little better quality, like Kohoku Rose and we keep both the sticky and regular in the pantry. I'll prepare it like everyone else has said above but without butter or oil if I am gonna sauce it later. If you really want to go quick and dirty those sides in a bag like dirty rice or black beans and rice cook up the same way in that cheap pot.

Sauces are a whole other topic, we have around a dozen on hand. I find myself reaching for Kikkoman Teriyaki most often the baste type not the sauce. It works damn well on any meat and if a person really wanted to you can thin it out a bit with water and sauce the rice with it as well.

If ya wanna try something really different get yourself some everything bagel seasoning and shake on a bunch on your white rice and fry it up with some scrambled hamburger. Nom nom nom.

Rice Vinegar, to make Rice whiter. Oil to make the rice more moist. That’s it.
This, rice vinegar in some sticky rice is the shit!! No salt.

Try sticky sushi rice next, once you make that you won't go back that white long grain animal food:flipoff2:

In all seriousness that shits good as hell.

Last edited:
Is sticky rice and sushi rice different than the white food lion brand rice? I'm not eating rice with salt to spend a bunch of money :flipoff2:

As an official gook/Charlie-squat-in-the-bush/riceball Pacific Islander;

I only salt the rice when rice is the main focus of the dish.

When I put stuff like General Mao's chicken/Orange chicken/beef & broccoli, etc on top of rice; no salt.

FYI:
Eating lots of white rice can cause constipation!

Top Back Refresh