What's new

RZR Trans bearings

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
Anyone in here ever replaced the trans bearings on one of these? Getting what sounds like a bearing noise from the rear end on mine. i have greased the wheel bearings. They are factory bearings and have 23xx miles on them but I don't think that is the issue. I just replaced the driveshaft with a Rhino U series and the SATV carrier bearing. DS is phased correctly according to the SATV video on their site. I know Popo uses cheap Chicom bearings in the trans on these and the upper bearings have been known to starve for lubrication. I have always used Polaris fluids and trans and front diff fluid is changed yearly (100ish hours).

My question is there anything I need to be aware of before I attempt replacing the trans bearings. Am going to order SKF bearings from Sandcraft unless there is something better available? bearings and seals I will add the bearing retainer as well while I have it apart.

I've been through a few, nothing really all that special. You'll need a special tool if you're pulling the snorkel assembly out. Honestly don't have too many bearing noise complaints for transmissions (I've worked in Polaris dealers for a while now). I'd be tempted to toss wheel bearings at it first since it takes so much less time.

I've been through a few, nothing really all that special. You'll need a special tool if you're pulling the snorkel assembly out. Honestly don't have too many bearing noise complaints for transmissions (I've worked in Polaris dealers for a while now). I'd be tempted to toss wheel bearings at it first since it takes so much less time.
I'll try that. they are much easier and cheaper to replace than pulling the trains. it won't hurt anything to replace them early

I'll try that. they are much easier and cheaper to replace than pulling the trains. it won't hurt anything to replace them early
Polaris sells an "HD" bearing that a Japanese version of the chinese junk it comes with, but they're $75 a piece. All Balls is supposed to come out with a tapered HD bearing for them but I haven't seen them yet.

Polaris sells an "HD" bearing that a Japanese version of the chinese junk it comes with, but they're $75 a piece. All Balls is supposed to come out with a tapered HD bearing for them but I haven't seen them yet.
yeah i saw the HD version. I'll pick up some from the local dealer..

i think my rzr had a bearing issue, i'm hoping for better luck with can am.

BFAS_QwjD_pe6T4KqBztLZ_RFH=w926-h694-no?authuser=0.jpg

from what I have read it's an issue of Chicom bearings in teh trans and those upper bearings dont get enough oil at factory oil levels. one trick I have seen is people overfill the trans by 8-12oz.

That is what I was thinking my issue was.. the upper bearing was on it's way out.

well took it out for about a 40 mile cruise around the back roads.. I can still hear something. I am about to pull my damn hair out.

Buy chinese bearing, read part number off races, buy same part number from good source, return chinese bearing. :flipoff2:
the HD version that Popo sells is actually a Japanese made bearing. At least that is what is laser etched on the race when I took it out of the package.

the HD version that Popo sells is actually a Japanese made bearing. At least that is what is laser etched on the race when I took it out of the package.
Yeah but you're probably paying $50 for the privilege of having them source it for you.

shit mine pictured above had 14xx miles on it too. no joke, insurance covered it. i've never collected insurance on anything other than health coverage, and i didn't even think about calling them. but someone told my wife to, and she did.

then when the shop had it they noticed it had been rolled a couple times, long story short, they totaled it. i'm sure happy with the x3 turbo r i have now.

Mine is a '18 1K XP. I guess I forgot to mention that in the original post.

I talked to Kenny Bell and will have him replace the Chicom bearings in it after I get back from SD trip. He quoted me $560 parts and labor for bearings and hd bearing retainer for the output shaft. He lives about 10 minutes from my work so I can pull the trans and drop it off and pick it up later. Could I do it myself? Most likely but some things I feel better letting a pro do it and not have to worry about me screwing it up.

Finally getting around to doing this. Ordered the bearings and seals from Sandcraft and the HD bearing retainer from Rock Ready.
A buddy has done 4 trans rebuilds now for other friends. Fixing broken parts, and upgrading bearings. I am gonna go over to his place in a few weeks and we are gonna tear into mine. I think all in I will be into it for about $370 for bearings, seals and retainer.

Got the trans rebuilt this past weekend. Bearings were in good shape with the exception of one had a couple rough spots in it when turning by hand. Replaced all the bearings and seals. The four bolts holding the bearing retainer in place were all tweaked. Apparently Popo doesn't use hardened bolts and the constant pressure from the snorkel gear trying to push it apart bends the bolts. I installed a Rock Ready HD bearing retainer that is like 2.5 times thicker with hardened bolts.

Good thing I did this when I did. The trans to engine mount bolts were just past finger tight. There were marks from the cases moving around. I was getting some belt chatter last time out and I though it was the belt just worn out. Now I tend to believe that the belt chatter/grabby on take off was the trans moving and belt misalignment. Putting the trans back in we had a bolt gall and twist off in the mount. :mad3: Ended up pulling the mount off and drilling it out and chasing the threads. that was a MFer since it was such a deep hole that we had to weld the broken bolt onto the tap to reach it. All back together now and shifts nice and smooth.

:grinpimp:

Took the RZR out this past Saturday. Was the first time out since the trans rebuild. I think I was very close to having an issue and didn't know it. When we went to AR over Christmas break I was getting a growling sound in high gear. I also replaced the rear u joint which was dry as well. Everything was nice and quiet this weekend. :beer:

Top Back Refresh