What's new

Rubicrawler issues

Allenwrench

Member Number
I have an 05 TJ. Trans goes into forward and reverse. Transfer case goes into all gears fine. But when I transfer my rubicrawler into low it’s like the vehicle is in neutral. Drives when rubicrawler is in high fine. Trans fluid is topped off and good. Not completely sure what’s going on looking for help. Thanks

Take the shift linkage off and shift it by hand into low and see what happens.

Agreed. One time my brothers JK had the linkage loosen up and it wouldn’t go into low. Check the linkage

x whatever on shift linkage adjustment. Buddies with Wranglers have to adjust that shit periodically. Top shift RF1A FTW:flipoff2:

Did you wheel it hard recently (and often)? One of our group swapped to the cable shifter setup on his TJ and quit having issues.

x whatever on shift linkage adjustment. Buddies with Wranglers have to adjust that shit periodically. Top shift RF1A FTW:flipoff2:

Did you wheel it hard recently (and often)? One of our group swapped to the cable shifter setup on his TJ and quit having issues.
This…. Once I saw the linkage on my 03, I couldn’t believe it’s held up as long as it has…
When I did the MM lift I had to redrill the holes in the tub to relocate it properly!!!!

Take the shift linkage off and shift it by hand into low and see what happens.
I took the linkage off and shifted it by hand. Pops into low easily with a little force but when you put it in drive still acts like it’s in neutral still.

It has cable shifters in it. Adjustment was tight. Took off linkage and shifted by hand and same thing. Acts like it’s in neutral when put into drive.

I took the linkage off and shifted it by hand. Pops into low easily with a little force but when you put it in drive still acts like it’s in neutral still.
Sounds like you have issues in the Rubicrawler then, and it is time to drop it and have a look inside. I assume some sort of issue with the shift fork.

I assume some sort of issue with the shift fork.

That's what I'm thinking it is. If it were a gear issue the oil would be full of glitter and he would probably be able to hear some kind of grinding at the very least.

I wonder if those have wear pads on the fork that may have fallen off or wore out due to a misadjusted cable?

Sounds like you have issues in the Rubicrawler then, and it is time to drop it and have a look inside. I assume some sort of issue with the shift fork.
IF there’s no glitter but the oil feels beat (rub it between your fingers, if it’s not gear oil slick it’s shot) you might get by changing it. Especially if you think it’s just hanging up at the end of its throw. Seen it fix stock NP/NV T-case shift issues on high mileage rigs… for a while anyway.

IF there’s no glitter but the oil feels beat (rub it between your fingers, if it’s not gear oil slick it’s shot) you might get by changing it. Especially if you think it’s just hanging up at the end of its throw. Seen it fix stock NP/NV T-case shift issues on high mileage rigs… for a while anyway.
Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the rubicrawler pulls trans fluid from the transmission. I didn’t install it cause I bought the Jeep with it already in there. But I think it just replaced the tail housing on the trans.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the rubicrawler pulls trans fluid from the transmission. I didn’t install it cause I bought the Jeep with it already in there. But I think it just replaced the tail housing on the trans.
It does. Have you drained the trans fluid to check for glitter and crap in the pan?

Certainly defer to these guys. No one I wheel with has an auto to use the rubicrawler though I like the idea of it. When I first responded I was thinking it was a “rubicon’ t-case, then I couldn’t remember the deets on the rubi.:homer: I’m sure it shares oil with the auto, though you could still have a fluid issue.
Other than your current issue, you like it?

Either it's not actually shifting into low as everyone has mentioned. Or you clean snapped a shaft. I'd be pretty surprised if it was the 2nd being as it's in front of the tcase and shouldn't see much stress at all, especially if you're only using it for double low like you should be.

I'm also trying to remember how all that works, and I'm thinking there isn't a shaft that would allow high range, but not low range. I could be wrong though.

I built a 1 ton LJ Rubicon for a guy using a rubicrawler behind the stock automatic transmission with a Rubicon T-case. The Jeep runs 42" red labels and he beats the dick off it and I've yet to hear of any problems in the 5+ years it's been in there.

Certainly defer to these guys. No one I wheel with has an auto to use the rubicrawler though I like the idea of it. When I first responded I was thinking it was a “rubicon’ t-case, then I couldn’t remember the deets on the rubi.:homer: I’m sure it shares oil with the auto, though you could still have a fluid issue.
It’s nice definitely helps get the 42 inch stickies rotating slower. Still have stock t case. Haven’t spent the money on upgrading that yet so the rubicrawler is a huge help getting the crawl ratio down.

I built a 1 ton LJ Rubicon for a guy using a rubicrawler behind the stock automatic transmission with a Rubicon T-case. The Jeep runs 42" red labels and he beats the dick off it and I've yet to hear of any problems in the 5+ years it's been in there.

2.7x4 with an auto? :laughing:

I'm guessing he probably uses either or and probably never both?

2.7x4 with an auto? :laughing:

I'm guessing he probably uses either or and probably never both?
Nope, he uses both and plays in big rocks....

IMG_12121.jpg

Accutune had a jk with a rubicrawler and 231. Double low was for nasty shit.

2.7x2.7 makes sense, although it's pretty low. 2.7x4 is Toyota type super double low :laughing:

I know of many ultra ridiculous low geared rigs. All big tired(49-54), low power Toyotas. Supposedly it was useful in deep snow?:confused: one was 5.0x5.7 dual toys with 7.17 r&p. Another was 2.28x4.7x4.3 duals
Toys to an atlas and the last was 2.28x5.0x5.7 triple toys. :lmao: I drove the first and 1st gear low low on the revlimiter was slower than a common dual case Toyota at an idle, even with 54" tires, absolutely stupid. :homer:

I have an 05 TJ. Trans goes into forward and reverse. Transfer case goes into all gears fine. But when I transfer my rubicrawler into low it’s like the vehicle is in neutral. Drives when rubicrawler is in high fine. Trans fluid is topped off and good. Not completely sure what’s going on looking for help. Thanks
For anyone wondering. I tore apart the box and found the 6 gear planetary was shifting back due to the snap ring holding it in place not being installed correctly from the previous owner. It was just hanging out inside the case. Luckily there was no real damage from it. Put it all back together properly and it works like a champ!

Top Back Refresh