What's new

Rubicon talk in Chit chat

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
photo13035.jpg
Couldn't bring myself to post such a lame question in a tech or land used sub forum.

How dumb would I be to bring a nice 96 4runner on 33-35s to the Rubicon? I'm not worried about making it through, it has a rear locker and winch, I know for a fact that I can get through. I plan on rock Sliders with kick out bars and a full rear bumper before/if we go.

I'm just wondering if I can do it without smashing the thing up. Last time I was there was 2017 and I was in my beat up rig on 39s, so I wasn't looking at it through the eyes on a "stock" 4runner.

I also don't want to be that guy on the trail that takes an hour to get through a spot because a rock might touch the body.

My dilemma is that I have 1 rig that I know can make it and don't care about dents and scrapes (small samurai) but it can't fit my family of 5 much less everything to camp for 3 days. Last trip we took both, but didn't do anything to hard core at all. This works well for packing reasons.

Since everyone likes pics.

Last edited:
little disappointed.:flipoff2:

That's what she said! Wait :flipoff2:​​​​​​

Sorry to disappoint you, I'm sure now that you mentioned that, everyone will ignore my question and start post pics of stupid Jk's :laughing:

Also, when I use the "upload from archive" option, it doesn't give me the option to make the Pic large and not just a thumbnail. When I go back to edit the post, the non thumbnail option is there? Wtf

Are they doing the jamboree this year? If you go on the trail the week after that it's basically paved.

I was trying to explain that to someone :laughing:

After a big Jeep run, it's like a 3/10

After a bunch of beaters go through it can be a 5-6/10

Ill have to check the schedule

You should be fine as long as you somewhat baby both vehicles. If you end up catastrophically breaking something on the sami I could see the runner also getting hammered trying to drag it out. About 2 years ago I rode passenger in a newer land cruiser with 35s stuffed under it, No lift or mods, just 35s and it did fine.

You should be fine as long as you somewhat baby both vehicles. If you end up catastrophically breaking something on the sami I could see the runner also getting hammered trying to drag it out. About 2 years ago I rode passenger in a newer land cruiser with 35s stuffed under it, No lift or mods, just 35s and it did fine.

80, 100 or 200 series?

That's a good point. I think we'll be going with at least 1 other built rig. If something breaks that bad that it can't move under its own power, I'd probably go out, get the parts and bring them back.

That's a good point too, I remember BoogerWeldz rocking a basically stock FJ80 on 35s through the Rubicon.

FWIW, one of the large Jeep runs was canceled. I forget if it is Jeep Jamborie or the other. Plus TLCA's Rubithon was canceled :(

Seriously, you'll love yourself more for going for it and bending the shit out of your 4 runner. You get one shot, go for it. Who's gonna be worried about paint, sheet metal or money when you play it back. The only person that's gonna disagree with me is faggot ass SDCJ.

Seriously, you'll love yourself more for going for it and bending the shit out of your 4 runner. You get one shot, go for it. Who's gonna be worried about paint, sheet metal or money when you play it back. The only person that's gonna disagree with me is faggot ass SDCJ.

:laughing:

It's just a good dd mild rig, we've had it for ~6 years with basically no issues. I'm worried it will get one dent and be "oh fuck it, it's a beater now" :laughing:

It would be pretty awesome to say we did the Rubicon in a rig that fits right in at a grocery store.

Beat it and bend it then son. Seriously, do you. Fuck the value of your junk. You will love yourself for it later

I don't care about the value, it's got 310k on it, that's out the window, the point is that it's the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I have had plenty of beaters and don't want this to be one of them.

I don't care about the value, it's got 310k on it, that's out the window, the point is that it's the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I have had plenty of beaters and don't want this to be one of them.

But think of the bright side..... If it gets fucked up and your wife won't drive it anymore you'll get a reliable yota to build into a dedicated trail rig.:grinpimp:

So appearance makes it a beater? Lol, you're a ****. Your wife owns your nuts.

Then why bring it?
Seriously

That's what I'm trying to decide :flipoff2:

But think of the bright side..... If it gets fucked up and your wife won't drive it anymore you'll get a reliable yota to build into a dedicated trail rig.:grinpimp:

I don't want another big 4 door trail rig. It's my dd BTW, she has a fancy newer truck.

So appearance makes it a beater? Lol, you're a ****. Your wife owns your nuts.

Your a **** with no **** ****!!! 1!:homer:

i think you'll be fine. i ran a whole bunch of it when i was still on 31" tires and just a locked rear in my 87. did have to get a tug a time or two.

of course that was a long time ago, but it is probably still pretty doable.

side note: is that gold lake/lakes basin outside graeagle in the first picture? the ridge in the background looks familiar, but could well be about 100 different sierra lakes :rasta:

I know nothing about Cali laws.... That was street legal there?

Street legal or street registered? :laughing:​​​​​​

Registered and insured, yes.

Legal? Not really, where I live we get away with a lot since it's just a small town and the wheelin is up the hill. If you run mud flaps, your usually good. Head down to the valley and the highways, chp could bend you over.

Really all they seem to really go after is tire coverage. But I know guys with 3/4 of a 44x18 sticking out and running mud flaps keeps the cops happy.

​​​​​​

https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/dirt-miles-the-same-old-rubicon-again.1796114/

https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/dirt-miles-the-rubicon.1382569/

the rubicon is as easy and as hard as you want it to be. ive ran it 3 times. all ifs and all in a tacoma. first time was bald 31s, welded rear. other two times was dual cases, rear arb and 33s.

i see reason a 4runner on 33s with sliders and a rear locker can make it through without incident.

When is the last time you ran it?

Top Back Refresh