What's new

Rubicon talk in Chit chat

This sounds like it's time to look into getting a full size Bronco or a K5 I can't see how a 4runner has much room with 5 in there and camping gear and supplies for a 3 day trip.

This sounds like it's time to look into getting a full size Bronco or a K5 I can't see how a 4runner has much room with 5 in there and camping gear and supplies for a 3 day trip.

It doesn't, that's why we take 2 rigs. Notice the giant roof bag on the 4runner? :laughing: Even a bronco or a K5 will run out of room, they're wider, but not really much more cargo room.

2 rigs has downsides, but also has a lot of benefits, especially when it's always hard to get a group to go.
​​​​​​

If you go in as the last jeep is coming out of JJ it'll still be stacked:flipoff2:

Seriously though I watched a group of IFS yotas coming up to soup bowl a few years back and those are the worst 2 rocks on the trail.

They weren't having any problems and were as straight as Ted is gay.

When is the last time you ran it?

been a few years. buddy went last year in his tacoma and didnt have any issues. just need to have sliders and a rear bumper.

AE402720-DFCB-4264-A59C-E69E163E8240.jpeg

0F009A40-6682-4815-BAD4-9D503AB66C01.jpeg

How busy or crowded does it get? What would be the best vs the worse time of the year to run it?

I don't care about the value, it's got 310k on it, that's out the window, the point is that it's the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I have had plenty of beaters and don't want this to be one of them.

Then run it. Sheet metal does nothing for reliability :flipoff2:

Fwiw
On tire size, the last 8 times my 83 went thru was on 31" no sheetmetal damaged .
It is doubled and locked tho!

Went thru last year on 37" in this (second pic) and it seemed paved ( again).
Save the dd, unless you are ok with driving a crawler daily to save on rolling stock.
I am going from 5 trucks down to 3.
Dd this again
20191004_142552.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	20191004_142552.jpg Views:	0 Size:	348.0 KB ID:	68555

20200213_163352.jpg

Last edited:
How busy or crowded does it get? What would be the best vs the worse time of the year to run it?

Of course timing being everything, weekends will always be worse. And holiday weekends worse still.

Monday through Thursday are the best as far as I am concerned. No traffic and no searching for a nice camping spot.

If you do find yourself there make sure you have some cash so that you do make it all the way to the Springs and want to camp there it is a small fee. The "Host" will generally walk around and collect in the evenings (It's like 10 or 15 bucks a night).

Rubithon and Jeepers Jamboree are stoopid busy and if I am not mistaken you need a pass for the JJ event. as the trail is closed to the public for these events. Rubithon not so much I have slipped in on Rubithon once and paid for food and raffle stuff once at the springs.

One year we went up for Fathers day weekend and it was a ghost town. I don't know or remember if we went in a day early or if it was just luck but the following years we found ourselves hung up in traffic for a poker run that started at Loon and went to Went-worth springs.

Somewhere there is likely some sort of schedule, on the old board there was a little something but never was it complete nor accurate.

As already noted, weekdays are best, weekends can get bad, holiday weekends bad, and scheduled events are horrible.

I already commented on two events being canceled this year:
FWIW, one of the large Jeep runs was canceled. I forget if it is Jeep Jamborie or the other. Plus TLCA's Rubithon was canceled :(

Several years ago, the ox locker people were up from Florida. We got their white jeep cherokee,bone stock, through gatekeeper without a scratch. Before they destroyed the rocks. That area gives trucks the most damage until you hit walker hill.

If you are trying to keep it nice, I wouldn't take it. It is still a way easier trail than fordyce, so I trust you should be just fine. But again, nice truck should stay nice.

The traffic is probably the biggest concern. I don't want to be plugging the trail on every little obstacle.

I'm thinking it would be pretty fun to take these 2 rigs through.

Like someone mentioned, if there a schedule for all runs on the Rubicon? I couldn't find anything on the Google?

I went through with a pretty much stock 1st gen pickup. It had sliders, rear bumper and 4.7 gears and 33s and did fine. I would just take dingmans shitbox truck through there. haha

Was there Friday and Saturday, busy from both sides. Met some guys coming in from Georgetown and it took them 5 hours to hit little sluice. We left Reno at the same time and I ran the Tahoe side to buck, spent 3 hours there and went to find them at the Spider. I would highly recommend some big stout sliders. It's not a 3/10 right now. We did have a Cheerokee on 35's with open front welded rear and he made it thru slow with lots of spotting but he was beat to shit when he came out on the body. Hood was fucked, bottom of driver door was dented in, rear hatch needed some hammer love to operate, dented doors and panels.

Was there Friday and Saturday, busy from both sides. Met some guys coming in from Georgetown and it took them 5 hours to hit little sluice. We left Reno at the same time and I ran the Tahoe side to buck, spent 3 hours there and went to find them at the Spider. I would highly recommend some big stout sliders. It's not a 3/10 right now. We did have a Cheerokee on 35's with open front welded rear and he made it thru slow with lots of spotting but he was beat to shit when he came out on the body. Hood was fucked, bottom of driver door was dented in, rear hatch needed some hammer love to operate, dented doors and panels.

This is kinda what I was picturing.

Last I was there in 2017, it wasn't the gravel road that everyone talks about. Big sluice was pretty decent, there was even a big dumb FJ40 on 46s that was having a ton of trouble on that first narrow spot after the bridge. He was a terrible driver and would not stop fucking with the rear steer though. :laughing: most of the Toyotas on 37s went through fine.

Maybe I'll just see if I can rent a new Rubicon :lmao:
​​​​​

I've been thinking about this too. My daughter comes during the summers making us a family of 5 but my YJ only seats 4 and my 100 series is too big and low for something like the Rubicon.

Been looking at a 3.0 2nd gen 4runner with an auto since it's the easiest way to get dual cases with an auto.

I hate wheeling a manual in the rocks. Call me a pussy if you must. :flipoff2:

I've been thinking about this too. My daughter comes during the summers making us a family of 5 but my YJ only seats 4 and my 100 series is too big and low for something like the Rubicon.

Been looking at a 3.0 2nd gen 4runner with an auto since it's the easiest way to get dual cases with an auto.

I hate wheeling a manual in the rocks. Call me a pussy if you must. :flipoff2:

Why not just go to a 3rd gen 4runner with a 3.4? They seem to be just as cheap for an OK one. Don't really need dual cases for the Rubicon with an auto.

I also think a cheap zj with some cheap 1 tons would probably be a lot of fun. The 90s dodge front axles almost "bolt in" since they use basically the same link set up.

Last edited:
Why not just go to a 3rd gen 4runner with a 3.4? They seem to be just as cheap for an OK one. Don't really need dual cases for the Rubicon with an auto.

I also think a cheap zj with some cheap 1 tons would probably be a lot of fun. The 90s dodge front axles almost "bolt in" since they use basically the same link set up.

3rd gen front suspension and engine are way nicer for sure. Maybe at Atlas is easier to adapt in one of those.

I like low gears. The YJ has a 4.3 atlas and the 100 has the 3.4:1 gears in it. I suck too much to have tall gears.

3rd gen front suspension and engine are way nicer for sure. Maybe at Atlas is easier to adapt in one of those.

I like low gears. The YJ has a 4.3 atlas and the 100 has the 3.4:1 gears in it. I suck too much to have tall gears.

Chain drive cases are ~2.7:1 we've done moderate wheelin with 33s and stock gears, I've never thought it needed much lower, 5.29s are the plan, which will probably be perfect.

You can adapt a gear drive crawl box, or an atlas easily.

Really, dual cases with the 95 and older autos suck because you hollow out the "crawl box" on the auto case, then adapter after that. So it's a crazy long set up.

So many options, such a short lifetime...
I went thru last fall.
Reading the above # scale stuff... so is the unpaving really getting good?

The only other thing you have to watch for out there is the JEEP Rubicon commercials...

Those Assholes fuck up the trail worse than the JJ...And honestly worse than anyone:mad3:

How big a difference iso the 100 series gears make? Btw, armor that thing, locker in the rear and take it through the Con.

The only other thing you have to watch for out there is the JEEP Rubicon commercials...

Those Assholes fuck up the trail worse than the JJ...And honestly worse than anyone:mad3:

For The Win
Oh Man!

How big a difference iso the 100 series gears make? Btw, armor that thing, locker in the rear and take it through the Con.

Huge difference in control. When I'm going down a moderate descent like the ones coming of Imogene or Black Bear pass my 1st gear is too low and 2nd is too tall. 1st world problems, I suppose.

Id love to wheel a 2016+ 200 series with the 8 speed auto. You probably always have the right gear.

Huge difference in control. When I'm going down a moderate descent like the ones coming of Imogene or Black Bear pass my 1st gear is too low and 2nd is too tall. 1st world problems, I suppose.

Id love to wheel a 2016+ 200 series with the 8 speed auto. You probably always have the right gear.

Those things are huge.

Top Back Refresh