What's new

Rubicon 2022

Clb

another toyota from P.R.K
Member Number
Loc
First 50 club
Just about that time...
My buddy went into spider last weekend still a couple feet of snow on the trail, got me thinkin bout a early may run.
Too early?
Looks like Tahoma has around 6-7' at staging.

"This just in" :laughing:

newsflash over 200% of webwheelers have nuthin to say about 2022 spring con!:flipoff2:

Attachments

• stir_the_pot.gif
    stir_the_pot.gif
    18.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Headed here on the 21st of this month for 3 days, wondering how the trail is and what kinda water level to expect at buck island.

Thanks,
Jimbo

I'm heading in on the 24th...
Betting the lilly ponds will be big.
Buck should be no issue.
Guess we'll see.
Who's been thru recently?

I was supposed to go with my buddy this weekend. His club has a big even this weekend every year. I’m sure it’s filed with people wheelin before Father’s Day crowds show up. I’d expect no parking at the dam as of 8am Saturday.

I'm heading in on the 24th...
Betting the lilly ponds will be big.
Buck should be no issue.
Guess we'll see.
Who's been thru recently?
Went through the 2nd through the 5th of this month. Lots of standing water on the trail and that was before the rain on the 5th and last weekend too.

Trail seemed normal but wet, Bottom of big sluice is gnarly for lesser rigs as always.

Caretaker at RS said they had paved Cadillac, we did it in the rain and it was easier than when we went through during the fire in 2020 so they did some kind of work on it.

Had a serious break on the RTF property, never did see the good campsites that people were talking about, had to run a snapped drag link back home and weld it up so we did not see the whole property.

How young is too young to bring a kid into the rubicon? We have a 4 month old. Thinking about a 4 day trip into buck and chill.

Rig is a built lj v8, tons, coilovers, 42s

Is your wife a trooper?
She shouldn't have to worry and not have a good time.

Are you willing to take drunken idiots complaining about the crying baby?

Can you make the little one not get shook to death? (gotta GOOD infant carrier)
Let's think suspension seat here.

Some guys have successfully done so.

The wife said she wouldn't be opposed to getting a hiking backpack and carrying the little man. She said she could keep up with how slow and all the breaks we take. Fordyce was with our 3 year old. She loves being on the trail, and it would be her birthday weekend.

How young is too young to bring a kid into the rubicon? We have a 4 month old. Thinking about a 4 day trip into buck and chill.

Rig is a built lj v8, tons, coilovers, 42s

I think a lot depends on how smooth your rig rides. My buddy wheeled all over Sand Hollow with his 6 month old. They were in a well set up JL on 40. I wouldn't have done that in my old leaf sprung rig.

Assuming your LJ suspension rides like it should I'd probably do it if I were you. We started my son at 1.5, but that was the old rig that was on clapped 63" chevy leafs.

Camping near Buck is becoming more and more of a shit show. I'm all for you blasting music and banging rev limiter in the middle of the night, but that shit belongs on the bonus lines, NOT IN CAMP. I'd probably camp at Rubicon Springs, or try to get a bit off the trail if you'd prefer to be at Buck.

Edit: My buddy's daughter was 6 months at the last Sand Hollow trip, not 6 years. That makes it a bit more relevant.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you can have a wood fire in a fire ring at Rubicon Springs this weekend? I already reached out to the caretakers via email, but I expect they're swamped after 2 Jamborees in a row, and I may not hear back this week.

Per El Dorado National Forest Order No. 03-22-12, "Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, or stove fire, except within stoves, charcoal grills, or fire rings provided in the Developed Recreation Sites listed in Exhibit A. 36 C.F.R. § 261.52(a)."

Rubicon Springs is private property, so the forest order doesn't apply. It seems like Rubicon Springs typically mirrors the restrictions in the neighboring forest. So would it be a reasonable assumption that they are also allowing fires in the provided fire rings?

I need to decide if I'm bringing the propane fire pit, and being ok with a mediocre fire, or bringing fire wood, and potentially having to tell my 4 year old that there's no s'mores.

"Generally " the springs allows you to make a fire regardless...
that said

Best bet expect a no fires policy and bring the pit.

Bring the pit and the saw. Ready for both!
Who the fuck brings in firewood?

Update; no wood fires at Rubicon Springs.

Also, significant bear activity at the Rubicon. I had my small action packer with dry food snagged on Friday night at Rubicon Springs. It had tortillas, bagels, and individually wrapped snacks for the kids. The next night the group camped next to us had some food taken.

When we got back to the Tahoe staging area, there was a Super Duty that had a bear rip the driver window out and take the food that was sitting on the driver seat. His big Garmin GPS was on the dash still, so I’m pretty sure it was a bear not tweakers.

Reactions: Clb
Top Back Refresh