What's new

Rover Engine Replacement

GGRR 4555

Member Number
Howdy Folks!

The engine in my Discovery 1is starting to have some concerning knock when its cold. I suspect its days are numbered. Here are two questions:

1) Any recommendations on keeping this alive longer? It sounds fine when warm but pretty wicked when cold.

2) Who makes the best reman/crate engines? Do you have any first hand experience with them?

FYI this is the Rover's second engine. the 4.0 died with the previous owner and he put a junkyard 4.6 in it. The 4.6 is the current motor.

I have worked with I.E. Rovers to build a raffle truck and know they do really good work on those and even up the displacement/power.

A few club members have bought long blocks from Rovers North/Atlantic British and had success.

Turner engineering in the UK does new/rebuilds and I have seen theirs in builds but I haven't personally purchased.

There are also kits to use LS engines and mate them to the drive train...

Hope that helps!

I have worked with I.E. Rovers to build a raffle truck and know they do really good work on those and even up the displacement/power.

A few club members have bought long blocks from Rovers North/Atlantic British and had success.

Turner engineering in the UK does new/rebuilds and I have seen theirs in builds but I haven't personally purchased.

There are also kits to use LS engines and mate them to the drive train...

Hope that helps!
Thank you!!

PS. I have followed you on instagram for ages. Keep living the Rover Dream!

Interesting thread...all the stock accessories are kept and the topic of CA emissions was brought up and from what he described, like using a GM OBDII along with using O2 sensors, CATs, etc. it should pass a CA referee test. From my experience, when I took my LS swapped rig (not a LR) to the referee they visually look for CATs and sensors and after that they want to plug in the OBDII port and have it show all systems are in the "ready" state for an 05 tahoe (or whatever you pull it out of)

then they give you the sticker that has a bar code and you can just go to any Smog shop in the future and they scan the barcode for how to test.

I am not saying this is the route to go....swapping a stock motor for another stocker is easier for sure. Just shedding light on the process from what I have read specific to the LR and what I went through dealing with the referee.

Top Back Refresh