What's new

Rotisserie cooking!!

smurfblue40

Baconologyst
Member Number
Loc
Sloughhouse Ca
Lil’john’s thread inspired me to start this, and my folks gave me a rotisserie unit for the Weber today :grinpimp:

I had a rotisserie years ago but didn’t use it much. We recently did a beer can chicken that turned out pretty tasty, I’m looking forward to roasting one on a spit :homer:

I think I’ll pick up a food grade bucket when I run my errands Friday to use for brining (which I need to read up on :laughing: )

Leg of lamb, debone or deboned, lay open, cover in crushed garlic cloves and rosemary. Minced garlic and dried rosemary will work in a pinch. Skewer and use butcher twine to secure it to the spit. Add more garlic to the outside. Put on the rotisserie and let it ride until rare or medium rare if you prefer. Put a pan under it if you can to catch the drippings, add to couscous. Enjoy.

Alternatively, sprinkle garlic and salt over a whole chicken or two, secure to the spit, cook until the skin is golden brown and the juices run clear.

Leg of lamb, debone or deboned, lay open, cover in crushed garlic cloves and rosemary. Minced garlic and dried rosemary will work in a pinch. Skewer and use butcher twine to secure it to the spit. Add more garlic to the outside. Put on the rotisserie and let it ride until rare or medium rare if you prefer. Put a pan under it if you can to catch the drippings, add to couscous.

Now that’s what I’m talking about!!

2657A5E3-AAB7-4C10-8DE4-0A65A844B44C.jpeg

Last edited:
Yup, favorite way of cooking for the guy that doesn't want to monitor her vittles!
Too many quasi recipes to share now, just some decades worth of tips.
After much spinning and doing the drip pan/tinfoil dance a friend dropped of an Island grill stone
https://www.amazon.ca/Island-Grills...l+stone&qid=1612931818&sr=8-2&tag=googcana-20
Dream come true, no flare ups nor stinky/burnt drippings in a pan.
NEVER STUFF a BIRD! Sure throw a 1/4d up onion and a couple garlic inside with a couple radishes, but never tightly stuffed with bread/starchy shit.
If doing larger lean beef roasts cover with tinfoil for at least first half of recommended cooking time per minute.
Get a rotisserie basket, handy as a third hand at a titty feeling contest, put veggies, fish, pork chops in it....letter spin
The whole deal with spinning is to be able to set and forget, once you know your grill and sizes of meat, the rest is just what flavors you want/like.

We use a vintage electric farberware electric rotisserie to do pineapple now and then, but I bet it would be great over wood heat, too, Peel the pineapple, stick it on the spit, sprinkle it with cinnamon/sugar mix, and when it’s done, chop it and serve it over vanilla ice cream.

Last edited:
My first official rotisserie cook hit a snag :homer:

I spent an hour or so this morning cleaning up the Weber, it’s been used hard over the last year and needed a good scrubbing. After the grill was put back together it was time to install the rotisserie bracket. This is where the snag was found. The holes on the bracket didn’t line up with the holes on the bbq. Then I looked at the box... the rotisserie unit in the box is for a Weber Spirit II, I have a Genesis II. No big deal, my dad is going to exchange it for the correct unit.

The Turkey breast roast that I had thawed is going to be cooked in a slightly different way tonight, I’m going to totally wing it :grinpimp:

Finally!!

Correct gear installed... weather cooperative... I’m cooking my first whole bird on a spit! :homer:

Got home from work and prepped the bird. Dialed in the Weber at 325 deg and set the timer for an hour.

Click image for larger version Name:	0EB80706-D364-4EAF-BCFC-1DC0EE9DC9E2.jpeg Views:	8 Size:	378.0 KB ID:	327711
Checked the temp after an hour, bumped the heat to 350 and let it cook another half hour.

Click image for larger version Name:	22271CE2-3EB3-4576-BC26-920A904FBC8F.jpeg Views:	8 Size:	371.4 KB ID:	327712
Flavor was decent, but I’ve never been a huge fan of rotisserie chicken. I have a few ideas for the next one (Mrs really likes rotisserie chicken) :grinpimp:

Last edited:
I have a rotisserie for my gas grill. Years ago I put some time and effort into two chickens for my birthday party in which I invited friends.

I brined the birds for two days and put them on the spit. Seasoned and took it outside to put on the rotisserie motor. I got everything cranked up and cooking. Usually I watch it for a few minutes to make sure everything is balanced correctly. My daughter comes out and flashes the doe eyes at me asking if I could fix her bike. I go to the garage and perform the necessary repairs. She comes in and says "dad the grill is on fire". I explain that is normal grills are supposed to be on fire. She says "dad, it's on fire fire." I go into the backyard and find two flaming bowling balls on the grill. The rotisserie rod had fallen out of the motor. :homer:

I had the wife go to the store and we made some weak ass chicken legs.

imo letting it rest 20-30min after its done with no heat but still spinning on the rotisserie makes it better, brine it over night(longer for big birds) makes it that much better

I’ll have to try that next time, I still haven’t tried brining a bird yet either

Top Back Refresh