What's new

Roomba ish vacuums

rockmup

El Hefe
Member Number
Loc
Greenwell Springs LA.
What works and what doesn't and why ? I do not have or want Alexa in my home. Would be great if I could run it through an app though and tell it what rooms to do.
I need it to do 2600+ sqft.

I've got a dumb Roomba, bought it refurbished from Woot! for cheap, before I knew they made dumb Roombas. I thought they all used an app for programing.

So ours isn't as convenient, but it's not hard to bend over and push a button.

We love the thing, we don't have pets, but Jewels sheds as bad as our friends golden retriever mutt. You'll learn to arrange furniture, and pick things up that it'll get caught on. First week we had ours, it found a skein of yarn that Jewels had left by her night stand, which created a Gordian knot on the beater brush. It likes to suck up phone charging cords too.

We've given smarter Roombas to both the brother/sitser-in-laws on both sides. They just use a phone app, and both were <$200. My sister refers to hers as her sister-wife. :laughing:

We named ours Johnny 5. :homer:

Last edited:
Have the Neato D6. Fucking awesome machine. I was not happy to spend that much on a fucking vacuum but it has been WELL worth it and I am single so its not like someone made me.

Mine is named Sharkbait

Get one that actually maps and remembers your floorplan. The ones that don't it relearns your floorplan every fucking time it vacuums! :mad3:

Kunta kinte has only managed to amuse me and make a bunch of noises. Its picked up some dog hair.

Guess I'll report back in a couple weeks if it figured out how to effectively clean the house

I'll be buying one of these for my girls place since it's all hardwood floors. There is a decent 1 1/4" step up into the kitchen, I have my doubts any of these robo vacuums can get up it?

AB125B0F-FBA9-4CF8-87CE-667F69F1311A.jpeg
I have an older Roomba that I put a new battery in and it works pretty well. I have had it a couple of years and it zigs and zags around with no pattern or mapping. I got a new Shark Robot with the self empty base. It has an app and maps out the house. You can tell it to just do 1-2 rooms or all of them. It does a pattern like when you mow the yard. Here is what my layout is.

F7DEE4C6-1D2F-4D6C-8648-88DDA7AC85C2.png

Last edited:
I'd love to get one for our unfinished basement. The kids play down there and it's a PITA to keep swept. Although as much as they leave small toys around, I'd fear for it's safety. Maybe if they came out with a small dozer blade attachment to push the action figures and such aside, that'd be the trick.

I'll be buying one of these for my girls place since it's all hardwood floors. There is a decent 1 1/4" step up into the kitchen, I have my doubts any of these robo vacuums can get up it?
The Shark could not handle that step = we have hardwood floors + fancy in-floor cast iron vent grates maybe 1/4” tall. There are several places the thing gets hung up on them.
It needs a limited slip at Least! Other than that, we really like the home base empty feature.
ours is very dumb tho 🙄

We have had a Roomba for several years. It is great for keeping up with the animal fur between weekly vacuuming. The wife runs Rosie daily since we have an Australian Shepherd that sheds year round and it keeps the tumble furs to a minimum. Ours shredded the tire treads on a 1/2-3/4" lip on the granite fireplace base so there is that perfect height that will screw them up trying to get over it.

We have a robotic vacuum that’s currently sitting in a closet unused. Our house is almost all tile or laminate flooring. It liked to get hung up on door and kitchen rugs. So, if we weren’t around it always seemed to get stuck. Now, with kids toys it sits unused. It’s quicker to run our big vacuum after picking up toys vs. waiting on the robotic one. Cool idea, just didn’t work well for us.

I have an older Roomba that I put a new battery in and it works pretty well. I have had it a couple of years and it zigs and zags around with no pattern or mapping. I got a new Shark Robot with the self empty base. It has an app and maps out the house. You can tell it to just do 1-2 rooms or all of them. It does a pattern like when you mow the yard. Here is what my layout is.

filedata/fetch?id=277272&d=1611040828

Thats what I'm after, we had a regular one that worked great except I had to lock it in a room to get it done or it'd never do anything except the same space.

We have a shark. It works good but loves to find cat toys

filedata/fetch?id=277272&d=1611040828

We have this same one but after i get the map all set up and tell it to do "the kitchen" it still just does the whole house again. And it seems to lose the map periodically. I may be doing something wrong but I don't think I am.

Anyone have one of the hard floor "mopping" cleaners? New place has about 3,500sf of polished concrete to deal with. A robot would be nice...

Deboot here. Use it in about 1500 sq ft, so our main floor in the house. We do carry it upstairs and let it roam.

Mainly use it to "maintain". We've got a couple animals and it does a decent job at keeping the level of hair down. Try to run it two or three times a week.

Biggest issue I have, it just hangs out in one room. So that room is pretty clean up it never gets out into the other rooms.

2nd issues: sometimes it gets stuck under low chairs. Also my wife loves these GD rope rugs. It does not do good on those. I have to close off one room because the vacuum will get high centered on the GD rug.

But overall yes for a big space, definitely helps. We just have to remember to pick up toys and run it. Close off bathrooms and closets (fucker will go in the closest and just bounces around for an hour in there).

We have a robotic vacuum that’s currently sitting in a closet unused. Our house is almost all tile or laminate flooring. It liked to get hung up on door and kitchen rugs. So, if we weren’t around it always seemed to get stuck. Now, with kids toys it sits unused. It’s quicker to run our big vacuum after picking up toys vs. waiting on the robotic one. Cool idea, just didn’t work well for us.

how much?

We've had a couple of them, in 3 different houses. The open floor plan I have now seems to be too much for the roomba. In the other houses we had it was easy to cordon off an area and let it eat. But in the current house there isn't a feasible way to limit its work zone. So it does a half assed job. We end up vacuuming because the battery dies before it can get the job done, the end.

I have a eufy 11s. Akai have an open floor plan on the ground level, probably around 1k sqft of I had to guess. All hardwood floor, no carpet. It runs for about 2hrs every day at 10am while I'm at work. We have 2 dogs, one of which is a husky/Shepard, and it keeps up with them and the kids just fine. I went with this one because it had a larger 600ml dust bin, and Amazon had one with box damage for just over 100$. I'm happy with it for the money. It's not a deep cleaner, but I will say.... I haven't used the swiffer in months, and the floors look great. I do have a tineco a10 something or other cordless mop, that think rocks too.

We've had a couple of them, in 3 different houses. The open floor plan I have now seems to be too much for the roomba. In the other houses we had it was easy to cordon off an area and let it eat. But in the current house there isn't a feasible way to limit its work zone. So it does a half assed job. We end up vacuuming because the battery dies before it can get the job done, the end.

Out roomba usually has to stop to charge before finishing our house, which wouldn't be a big deal if it actually recharged to 100%. Instead, it charges to like 40% and tries to finish, which isn't enough so then it has to charge again. I ended up setting ours up on a schedule to do half the house on one night and the other half on a different night.

Duane

I have a eufy 11s. Akai have an open floor plan on the ground level, probably around 1k sqft of I had to guess. All hardwood floor, no carpet. It runs for about 2hrs every day at 10am while I'm at work. We have 2 dogs, one of which is a husky/Shepard, and it keeps up with them and the kids just fine. I went with this one because it had a larger 600ml dust bin, and Amazon had one with box damage for just over 100$. I'm happy with it for the money. It's not a deep cleaner, but I will say.... I haven't used the swiffer in months, and the floors look great.

I've got the same one, would buy another one without a second thought.

Didn't need the room mapping or wifi connectivity, just wanted something to keep up on the dust and fur while I'm out of town. Not having to come home and sweep as soon as I get in makes it well worth the $200 or so.

Think it's gotten "lost" once and stuck maybe twice in 6 months or so of use. Dust bin will hold a few days of normal use, filters and brushes seem to last a decent length of time.

We have the roborock S6 maxv and that fucking thing is amazing. We only use it on our upstairs, but it has the capability to memorize 2 floor plans, it also has a mop feature. Has a dog shit AI that will go around dog shit, you can block off areas if it has trouble in them like it grabs my cords for my phone charger when it's under my nightstand. Just blocked that area off. It's small enough it gets under a lot of our furniture also. It has sensors that keep it from smashing the fuck into something and denting baseboards/furniture. It even recognizes when live stuff is in front of it and it will go to a different area and come back later. It does run through its own application also.

Top Back Refresh