What's new

Roof rack mounting ??

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
Going to build a roof rack for my RZR. I have a Cagewrx cage and the roof is attached with Dzus fasteners. I am trying to figure out how to attach the rack to the top of the RZR. Axia Alloys makes some mounts but they are $60/pr which will get $$ in a hurry. Axia roof rack mounts

I see they also sell a kit which is just a spacer and drill the roof and bolt it on that way. While I don't intend on having more than 75-100# up there total I am a little nervous about relying on the 8-10 Dzus fasteners that hold the roof on to last with the added stress of the rack.

Another idea I had was to have 6 tabs or so, 3 on each side, come down on the outside of the cage and drill the cage and use nutserts and bolt the tabs in with 5/16" button head bolts. I am pretty confident that 6-5/16" bolts with be strong enough to hold the intended weight but what I am wondering is will drilling into the main hoop of my cage compromise it? I know that drilling and sleeving it would most likely be preferred If I do that then I will have to re-powdercoat the cage. Which at $500 I dont want to do.

I bought some closed cell neoprene and was going to just use that as a cushion and bolt it directly to the roof to keep it as tight to the cage as possible. I only have 4" or so clearance under the rear bed in my toyhauler. That is if I decide to just bolt it. I like the ease of the Axia Roof Rack mounts but I would prefer to keep the sides of the cage smooth so I don't lay it over in a ravine or something and catch it on a rock or root.

What say you guys? Will drilling my cage and using nutserts kill nuns and orphans?

Nutserts suck. They're glorified pop rivets. They have their place but this isn't it. Off road shenanigans loosen them up and then they spin when you go to remove the bolt. Just weld tabs onto your cage or if you want to be bling buy some split shaft collars and weld your roof rack to that.

I am gonna use some trick tabs and try some J bolts to clamp it to the roll cage. I don't want to drill my roof unless absolutely necessary. The roof rack is only going to be installed when I need the extra space for gear.

Can you post some pics of the Dzus to tab connection?

I if I am thinking right it would be easy to remove the pins in those locations and through bolt the rack feet at the corners and mid points, might be what you are describing.

here is a link to the Dzus fasteners.

You know that is actually not a bad idea. pull the pin out of them and bolt the rack and roof down together thru the same hole. that wire being in the way might pose an issue though. Not a lot of room between the tab and the wire that the Dzus pin locks onto.

Can you post some pics of the Dzus to tab connection?

I if I am thinking right it would be easy to remove the pins in those locations and through bolt the rack feet at the corners and mid points, might be what you are describing.
Thanks for the idea on this. This is what I ended up doing. I pulled the spring clips out of the rear 4 and the two at the front corners and thru bolted them with 3/8" bolts and stop nuts. I'll get some pics posted when I finish it. Ran out of tubing last night. Gonna get another 10' tomorrow after work to wrap it up.

Wish I saw this sooner. Rzr are prone to roll overs, it’s the #1 negative issue with them. In our riding group of 120 people I think there are 70-80 rzr and only one or two hasn’t been rolled. There was a while last year that out of 50+ rzr they had all been rolled, many guys on there second rzr rolling both of them.

Roof mounting anything is a questionable idea on a high cog vehicle known for rolling. As your obviously committed my advice is slow and steady. Don’t get excited and try fast corners or dognuts. If you can change course consider it.

You’ll see people moving anything that has weight as low as possible in the chassis.

Wish I saw this sooner. Rzr are prone to roll overs, it’s the #1 negative issue with them. In our riding group of 120 people I think there are 70-80 rzr and only one or two hasn’t been rolled. There was a while last year that out of 50+ rzr they had all been rolled, many guys on there second rzr rolling both of them.

Roof mounting anything is a questionable idea on a high cog vehicle known for rolling. As your obviously committed my advice is slow and steady. Don’t get excited and try fast corners or dognuts. If you can change course consider it.

You’ll see people moving anything that has weight as low as possible in the chassis.

In my "build thread" here I tried to make that point but some people don't bother considering weight up that high.

Those giant MDF speaker box's, spare tires, etc. on the roof is a lot of weight up high.

I think for someone like my wife who is actually trail riding not pushing the limits it can be ok, but even then shit gets REAL fast.

Thanks for the idea on this. This is what I ended up doing. I pulled the spring clips out of the rear 4 and the two at the front corners and thru bolted them with 3/8" bolts and stop nuts. I'll get some pics posted when I finish it. Ran out of tubing last night. Gonna get another 10' tomorrow after work to wrap it up.
Cool, hope it works out.
Looking forward to the pix.

yea I hear what you guys are saying and I agree totally. This is only going to be used once or twice a year for specific reasons. I will keep the lightweight stuff up there. Dry bag with clothes, that kind of thing.

yea I hear what you guys are saying and I agree totally. This is only going to be used once or twice a year for specific reasons. I will keep the lightweight stuff up there. Dry bag with clothes, that kind of thing.

I think it's perfect for that stuff. Fishing poles is another one if you have a 4 seater.

Got it all tacked up. Now my buddy is tig welding it up. I've only got a mig at the house.
IMG_20220131_184103115.jpg

The trick tabs that I'm using to bolt it to the roof using the dzus tab holes. I'm using 1/4" foam under between them to keep it from killing the powder coat.
IMG_20220131_184155167.jpg

Top Back Refresh