What's new

Roll off.. travel trailer?

montrose818

Banned
Member Number
Loc
SoCal
Trailer trash idea of the day.

A travel trailer (minus axles) on a roll off flatbed (not tow truck kind). Can drop off and pick up like a regular roll off contrainer. Drop off at campsite, use truck for other purposes, etc. and still tow something with it loaded up. Like a toterhome.

Am I onto something here, or just losing brain cells?

Reactions: PAE
This is a local customer of mine.

It is based on a 4wd Fuso work truck that he created a system on the flatbed to pin his camp trailer into. Kind of a cool idea, although I probably would have selected a trailer that had a more square profile.

Here's a company that makes exactly what you are thinking:

I'd considered it in the past, but based on a rollback, for my purposes. The business pays for all the truck expenses. Sometimes I take my "guard shack" camping

With a jeep on the wheel lift:homer:

Edit: I've also heard about guys building different beds for a 1 ton truck

Welding bed, gets left on site, then grabs flat bed for remainder of job, cloud have a camper as well

Maybe look up Idasho? Builds sweet modular campers

well heres one poor mans version. I dig it.

Attachments

• ec2f1804cad5ffcfc1201276024b1c1b.jpg
    ec2f1804cad5ffcfc1201276024b1c1b.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 462
The issue you're gonna run into for personal use is that any truck with a roll off lift on it is going to be $$$ because they're so versatile and they didn't really come into fashion until fairly recently and are pretty much exclusively on MDTs or bigger which tend to get run into the ground then scrapped so unlike a rollback you're gonna have a much harder time finding a $2500clapped out 70s truck that comes with one. Unless you already own a fleet of roll off trucks for moving dumpsters it winds up being a better use of effort and money to just get a nice camper.

Roll off is way better than hook lift if you plan on actually using the truck anywhere near its capacity or don't have tons of wheelbase to work with.

Since you already spend stupid money on trucks you don't actually use to their potential I see no reason why you shouldn't give it a try. :flipoff2:

You all must do a good job securing shit in your travel trailers, because if I tried to pull mine up onto a roll back, I feel like all the dishes would fall out of the cabinets and the beer cans would fall on the eggs.

I have been thinking about doing this with a switch-n-go roll off setup and an old U-haul box turned camper. Planned on the switch-n-go style since you could buy them pretty cheap brand new and install yourself.

Here are few pics I have saved including 2 more of the topkick shown before.

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 202
  • download (2).jpg
    download (2).jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 123
  • camper.jpg
    camper.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 294
  • 2008_ford_f550_roll_off_truck-1362158407-139-e.jpg
    2008_ford_f550_roll_off_truck-1362158407-139-e.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 120
I just can't see a bunch of stapled together 1x2s holding up well on the back of a MDT to begin with even before you start yanking it on and off the back. I think the only way to over come that is to over build it and now you are talking custom, expensive, and heavy.

I just can't see a bunch of stapled together 1x2s holding up well on the back of a MDT to begin with even before you start yanking it on and off the back. I think the only way to over come that is to over build it and now you are talking custom, expensive, and heavy.

I agree.

Top Back Refresh