What's new

Rodent resistant, proof, etc. wiring

Aggie06

I ain't the one to blame.
Member Number
Loc
Balls Deep South Texas
This may be a newbie type question, and I’m guessing the answer is no, but does any wiring exist that will keep/deter rodents from chewing on it? Something else that can be done?

This is specifically for the wiring on a older tractor that stays parked in a shed. We put out rat poison, but it doesn’t seem to help.

This may be a newbie type question, and I’m guessing the answer is no, but does any wiring exist that will keep/deter rodents from chewing on it? Something else that can be done?

This is specifically for the wiring on a older tractor that stays parked in a shed. We put out rat poison, but it doesn’t seem to help.
Find some of the rodent blocks with the hole in the middle like these and wire tie them in your equipment.

Right at the source they go for the easy bait rather than your equipments internals.

Fuck mice!!:flipoff:

ayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fg%2FPJMAAOSwVH1fZTRw%2Fs-l400.jpg

When you buy replacement wire harnesses, ask how the harness was assembled. It is frequently assembled with peanut oil or palm oil as the lubricant to slide the wires into the loom. This attracts mice like crazy. If you can find a harness that was not assembled with edible oils, you are better off.

Once it is too late for that and the harness is already installed, you have to deter them by overriding the smell of the edible oils:

Rodents don't like Pine Sol. They also don't like hot peppers and moth balls. I dissolved dehydrated powdered hot peppers of various sorts from the dollar store and poured it into 50/50 Pinesol water mix in a 5 gallon bucket. I knew I went overboard with the peppers when I got done mixing: I took the nitrile gloves off, washed my hands-- and then later on touched my eye-- and it about swole shut on that side. Phew! Weeks later I found a few dead rodents. They had ripped their eye balls out and shat themselves liberally. I guess that repelled them alright... Since rodents clean themselves with their mouths when they get into smells they don't like-- they end up ingesting that mix and getting it in their face/eyes as well as getting the shits. They are then very unhappy critters at that point... I would paint the mix on the tractor frame where the wires are so they get a good dose of pain (as long as you don't have cats/dogs that could get into it). I would also paint it around the bottom of the shed, let the wood soak it in.

Also, when you re-roof the shed, consider using translucent plastic/fiberglass roofing sheets that lets light through and then keep the hood up on the tractor when in the shed-- rodents don't like being in daylight in the open. Makes them feel vulnerable.

Last, consider making a 5 gallon bucket mouse trap loaded with something like peanut butter. They can already smell the peanut oil on the harness... so consider it a lure to get them into a trap instead of your tractor.

If you use traps or bait stations, place them along the walls (especially on each side of doors and places where they can get in), rodents like to travel along the walls rather than in the open so they will find it them faster that way.

Aaron Z

red chili pepper powder and peppermint oil and cinnamon leaf oil - mixed with water in a spray bottle. spray your engine bay wiring and any access points your trying to secure. Repeat if it gets wet (dilutes or washes off oils) and repeat every 6? weeks (it lasts awhile but not thru a season).

This keeps squirrels and mice outta my engine compartments. So far.

Ive also used this stuff, nearly same ingredients, just costs more -- https://smile.amazon.com/Grandpa-Gu...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Top Back Refresh