What's new

Rockcrusher 60 rear axle - what rotors on the 6-lug version?

bgaidan

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Long story short, I have a rockcrusher 60 in the rear of my truck. Bought it like that from someone else. From what I understand, rock crusher is not longer around and I can't find much on them.

I need to do the brakes and I can't figure out what rotors they used. The calipers and brake hardware are from an Explorer 8.8. Not problem there. But the rotors are 6-lug so explorer rotors obviously won't work. I'm coming up empty on what they would have used....basically something 6-lug that would work on an 8.8.

Worst case I can probably re-drill the 5 lug rotors, but I really don't want to do that.

From what I've gathered while working on this thing, it has:
HP 60 center section
Ford 9" outers/bearings
Dutchman shafts
8.8 brakes
Unknown rotors? :laughing:

I really don't understand why someone would build an axle like this and spend that kind of money and leave it semi-float with 9" outers. Really weird.

Toyota/GM half ton? Picture of rotor?

Toyota/GM half ton? Picture of rotor?

I can get a pic of the actual ones tonight, but basically they look like a ford explorer rotor but with 6 lugs. I believe they're hub (shaft?) centric.
(Full disclosure: my dumbass actually ordered a set of explorer rotors off amazon because I have explorer brakes and I wasn't even thinking about lug patterns! :laughing:)

713KBSh6V9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I can get a pic of the actual ones tonight, but basically they look like a ford explorer rotor but with 6 lugs. I believe they're hub (shaft?) centric.
(Full disclosure: my dumbass actually ordered a set of explorer rotors off amazon because I have explorer brakes and I wasn't even thinking about lug patterns! :laughing:)

713KBSh6V9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Solid or vented rotor?

Have you looked at them closely to make sure they aren't just welded up and redrilled exploder rotors?

Welding up a cast iron rotor, getting it flat enough to not flex and crack when you bolt the wheel on and then re-drilling it is exactly the kind of thing I expect someone who builds a D60 from scratch and uses 1/2-ton semi-float outers to do. :laughing:

Solid or vented rotor?

Don't care. The truck see a few hundred miles a year at best....and that's only if I go on a long trip. Otherwise it's just trail use. I ordered the cheapest ones off Amazon before I remembered it was 6-lug. :rolleyes:

Have you looked at them closely to make sure they aren't just welded up and redrilled exploder rotors?

Doubt it. I found some pics on another site where someone had a similar setup and he just re-drilled them and there was a little overlap on one or two studs....but since they're centric to the boss on the shaft, it really shouldn't matter. That may be my fallback if I can't find something easy/cheap to match what I have.

Welding up a cast iron rotor, getting it flat enough to not flex and crack when you bolt the wheel on and then re-drilling it is exactly the kind of thing I expect someone who builds a D60 from scratch and uses 1/2-ton semi-float outers to do. :laughing:

No clue why the guy I bought the truck from went this route. Maybe it's why rockcrusher isn't around any more. It wasn't cheap either.....$2500 range. Definitely not the way I would go, but I also highly doubt the truck makes enough power to ever break them.

People like Currie and dynatrac have been building semi float 60s for a long time. Nothing wrong with them for the intended purpose. Great match for a D44 front on about 37s.

I'd probably want FF also, but I'd go bigger than a hp60 at the same time.

79 to 85 Toyota used 6 lug non vented rotors. I have a set if you need measurements. Let me know.

79 to 85 Toyota used 6 lug non vented rotors. I have a set if you need measurements. Let me know.

Yeah, that would be super helpful. I know they're 11.25" diameter, but I'll need to check the other dims.

Toyota rotors are just over 11.750” in diameter. Hat is 1.375” tall. Rotor thickness is .50”.

E96C9672-1622-4DCB-940F-7D775B798916.jpeg

C580491D-60E6-475E-AFB8-F834E54FBE1A.jpeg

They could have bought blank rotors and drilled to suit. Dynatrac does this

Not even close, explorer is drum in hat ebrake and slip on.

He didn’t mention anything about having an emergency brake.

Errr....yeah. They have the typical drum e-brake.

OWxiPU7OnPkoFYA_0m-sBkTkK1W2q6GtI6341WVlqYqGx4wsp54_v3OYhEylGvZ6e2Z-tQvQiXJTSkGKi4jo8b4Nln_oLrxgdFYEBFphAGRyFc_YszBRjUCfI07tqCYt_rrI_7_dLGOCUKVGw_HdjDJbQkHMwQT8iBlFHH120FfQL9ykW7_CuABZ0QiNrfu5qN9bqNm54MCFVMUv16EXPSvnb8Z4I_Ct6nT-brMyMxu1cuiSXRbas3LOB0J5IbIfZy38zy2cKyUOMYLGRh9yOss54POgaEFiNGfzZtoMvHiOJHUZHhYncmQevtOfWjqL_jaPA0tJvuCpfNYaHXE2srV8Y_W-OQP-KRSBHCi3zyHQ3E9EmOQ9V3aMgh-mMOfR3WR-N7edgvyVOt3GH2NihIY07IVqgmoQQ5376NBX0mdfYy0_imgO2tQSsQhnqnAaN6L2Asl4QT3SX65EoFT43r0KgT-bo_b3pwlSqiXccc7hiNdmLgS4HfrWRBLEBZR3deIfNfN-EKimVfAsN0YfFuAUvdRoqPQy0gQlgaijjekXE1TknKs4xOsxqIPnOC7VyVXCyHfUfFEDcWMhT8euzc4iWD60UA5OPyGfMxK8G02tr7PQj4IioO85Odhbp41dDJeHoVVzeTgaz3VYRDGHq6eY5XuWZR4OpNmzvC6BmkUWljs8Rq7hT33BxRU2VEiq76K-hRrsnPVa0sSNvAR5tvGzLg=w1292-h970-no
izKiIqj58hhD82PvO6lwO_0BB1Wpc0bxe6F4sSYbG5tbJ-sQzWagwcHzNJAC3RBItM_JXKXlHTND1IhKUsr_YynTJD2VDWN-qNBiXhrbo6Zr-J29xO8GKaoO6dhjfYRTr8Jj3_tcUjvOrIUljyZmH5Ir5P17h13UWm1Kx9z2_C0p3cCrpBQEavbgo5MmXb2PZcuflIy5AcdenqyqxrPeDUwmsgR3_K0ouE56lWUTktjK44TlO5Y6qxRjuG5OIwRHEUz2gNgfIaxkpCPBsOkhBTMXXcTrM2zDRC5vLsMa9FfY27LT0uJEjQGKTzs9cLImLL9J1fNorvW56rErZBLExx6AM9jXTVl0Z_T9YASoSsL6rfrUX-qDweEuKbMjIG3XAB-A4vstCVwxdeZihPJSzcSPoOcWa6gjsTYTzxyY0J-LLHVcET58znSyQWWepv3WwOOIJ6_nqk6QJFyp5wdD2MU0LAFV4dWN7WcRk0RQrA9sE3-aGYB7Y4gJUPzaHBqNhNWn2b780jzXJRl9CD1PpIgm81Idnn2aVi11Dl9LTxT9uHI-0T2k2NlPL1RKZfJj7-Udd5YvleArKmEDs61UYPzJH2YG_a9ehvQPb-P2d4QjGEP46wge8zVEWXOdmt4dMO97LgtvVZue7bKr37nz5RNVbz_QNn79j7yL-KDIXm1HmjVj-NBJBE2RD6qoPGXofndDl4YlIy56v4FL10MKwBn8gg=w1292-h970-no

They're about 11.2" diameter, .5" thick and 2.5" overall height.

They could have bought blank rotors and drilled to suit. Dynatrac does this

I was going to say, maybe call Currie or dynatrac and ask what rotors to use. I believe they both use a similar set up all the time?

I need to call some of them I guess. I've looked at all the regulars' websites and none of them have a 6 lug or blank version. Seems like this would be at least common enough that SOMEBODY would have a solution on the shelf.

I'm probably going to just throw them back together and run them until I can source new ones. The one in the pic isn't bad, but the other one has two rock grooves that are probably 100 thou+ deep.

I found this on the "other" site :laughing:

I may end up going this route if all else fails.

0226111459a.jpg

Have you tried Currie? Their standard package is explorer brakes on the sf rears. They should have or could supply 6 lug rotors

Have you tried Currie? Their standard package is explorer brakes on the sf rears. They should have or could supply 6 lug rotors

I need to give them a calll....just need to find the time. They don't show anything on their site. This is one of about 300 projects I'm trying to knock at at the same time!

If you could....

Mine are ~11.2" dia, 1/2 thick disc and about 2.5" tall overall.

No go. My FZJ80 rotors are 13.190”. They are actually larger than the rear rotors on a new 4Runner.

Top Back Refresh