What's new

RIP Bonhomme Richard

I remember when I worked on the USS Fife; I was surprised they had armed MPs at the entrances to the reduction gear when they were working on it.

I asked a chief why that was.

He said in case a sailor didn't want to go to sea, he/she couldn't sabotage said reduction gear.

Wow! :eek: :shocked:
When I was stationed on the U.S.S. Ranger out of N.A.S. Alameda the reduction gear was sabotaged. It took months in the shipyard at Hunter's Point to fix it. They had to cut a huge hole from the hanger deck all the way down to get at the gear. This involved rerouting electrical, water, fuel, hydraulic, etc. They then had to use a crane to replace the gears. Those things are MASSIVE.

On 27 May 1972, she returned to West Coast operation until 16 November, when she embarked upon her seventh WestPac deployment. This had been delayed four months when one of the engines was disabled after Navy fireman E-3 Patrick Chenoweth dropped a heavy paint scraper into a main reduction gear, one of around two dozen acts of sabotage Ranger suffered between 7 June 1972 and 16 October 1972.[9] Chenoweth was charged with "sabotage in time of war", and faced 30 years imprisonment, but was acquitted by a general court-martial.[10

kNS3v0V.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like it'll get towed here. Bremerton, aka, Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, premier naval repair facility on the west coast, and also home to the largest decommissioned ship station. The Missouri was here for decades, between Viet Nam and re-entering the fleet for a few years. I had the chance to tour it as a tourist trap when I was a kid. They've scrapped an absolute crap-ton of ships and boats here over the decades. My go-to source for scrapping AMC cars after I pick them clean of jeep parts is Navy City Metals, and they've got a rail car direct from the shipyard, which is then broken down further prior to reselling yet again.
Thankfully it went to the Gulf. That thing would have been a pain in the ass to scrap. We only do the NUC boats here.

When I was stationed on the U.S.S. Ranger out of N.A.S. Alameda the reduction gear was sabotaged. It took months in the shipyard at Hunter's Point to fix it. They had to cut a huge hole from the hanger deck all the way down to get at the gear. This involved rerouting electrical, water, fuel, hydraulic, etc. They then had to use a crane to replace the gears. Those things are MASSIVE.

On 27 May 1972, she returned to West Coast operation until 16 November, when she embarked upon her seventh WestPac deployment. This had been delayed four months when one of the engines was disabled after Navy fireman E-3 Patrick Chenoweth dropped a heavy paint scraper into a main reduction gear, one of around two dozen acts of sabotage Ranger suffered between 7 June 1972 and 16 October 1972.[9] Chenoweth was charged with "sabotage in time of war", and faced 30 years imprisonment, but was acquitted by a general court-martial.[10

kNS3v0V.jpg
How do you run a pattern on that? Are all of the tolerances that precise?

He probably is a protected ethnicity. Same/similar reason they wouldn’t release the name of the cop that shot Ashli Babbit and why they don’t give a description of most criminals.
Not very protected…most criminals are not protected at all.

Double helical, the two shafts center on those gears.

Yes, although you still do blue checks and backlash to verify similarly to a rear end. The tolerances are pretty insane for that large of a structure.

Axle gearing is a pain because the geometry has to be right in several different directions and it's impractical to machine the gears, bearings and housings to the precision needed to have it always be perfect - so instead it's designed to allow adjustment during assembly to compensate. With a parallel shaft gearbox there's only one critical dimension and it's much more practical to hold that tolerance.

Top Back Refresh