What's new

Revolution belt grinder

AK_F250

Red Rocket
Member Number
Loc
Alaska
A buddy at work turned me on to these last week since he knows I have a plasma table and wants one, so I ordered a set of plans. I don't really NEED a giant belt grinder, but what the hell, I'll burn a couple out. I have a couple questions for those with bigger belt grinders.

First, he suggests a 3/16 high carbon steel for the platen face, 1095 or 80CRV2 specifically with a heat treat and quench afterwards over a 1/4" plate of equal size. For the occasional hobbyist use this thing is going to see, could I modify the parts a bit and polish up the face of a 2x12x3/8 chunk of hardox and call it good?

Belts, what and where?

1P or 3P and VFD? I've never used a belt grinder, and I won't be making knives or anything like that, is variable speed worth it?

3 phase with a VFD all the way.

I have a similar style grinder that I bought off CL for way cheaper than I could build it. It's got a 3hp 3p motor with a VFD and it's handy to be able to tune the speed. It's actually kind of terrifying at full speed.

it's actually kind of terrifying at full speed.

Quoted for truth. Mine only has full speed.

I have a 5hp Kalamazoo 4x90. Mine was modified to stand up like your drawing. I have noticed The vast majority are mounted like this one though.

It might be doing work doing some research on those 2x72 designs on how they fit for your purpose. I’ve never seen one of those in a working shop, again whats pictured below seems common.

99844AA6-9E0C-4A15-BEB7-0E50F962CEA0.jpeg

3 phase with a VFD all the way.

I have a similar style grinder that I bought off CL for way cheaper than I could build it. It's got a 3hp 3p motor with a VFD and it's handy to be able to tune the speed. It's actually kind of terrifying at full speed.
That makes sense, I could see that belt ripping at full speed on a homemade setup sketchy.
Quoted for truth. Mine only has full speed.

I have a 5hp Kalamazoo 4x90. Mine was modified to stand up like your drawing. I have noticed The vast majority are mounted like this one though.

It might be doing work doing some research on those 2x72 designs on how they fit for your purpose. I’ve never seen one of those in a working shop, again whats pictured below seems common.
The thing is this really doesn't have a purpose to me. I fully agree that it seems excessively large for what it is. The only thing I would like to do with it is a fixture to cope tubing with dedicated wheels.

I believe this guy came up with the rotating 2x72 belt grinder design 5 years ago or so. I have a set of these plans, but haven't gotten to cutting any out yet:

A few years ago I ended up buying a 10x72 3hp grinder and that's been so good that it took the wind out of my sails to build a 2x72.

As for what belts, mcmaster carr wet/dry belts have been good for me. Make sure to get belts that can handle wet and dry, you're going to want to cool smaller parts in water as you grind on them.

'Tru git' has decent belt selection, I like Norton blaze in a 36.

single phase 1 hp is enough for a 2x72. I have a 1.5 hp running at 55 MPH, plows though 1/4". Will remove fingers too. I have found no need for variable speed.

That design is way complicated for a 2x72. Popular but not for me. Rotation useless, take up a lot of horizontal space, floor space.

Last edited:
A few years ago I ended up buying a 10x72 3hp grinder and that's been so good that it took the wind out of my sails to build a 2x72.

10x72 has got to be a beast. I’ve seen a few videos of 2x72 to want one especially after seeing Fireball Tool’s grinder hog material.

3P and VFD, this is IRATE 4x4.:beer:

That 2x72 is on our list of things to build for our shop. Vice, tubing bender then the 2x72.

Top Back Refresh