What's new

Replacing rotten floor in camper

east_beast

Member Number
0/10, would not fucking recommend. This is a pain in the ass. It being hotter than the devil's taint is not helping
IMG_20200719_094807.jpg

At least it's only the front four feet not the whole thing. It's a toy hauler pop-up and the previous owner rarely used it and left it stored tongue high. That allowed water the pool up and seep in where the cargo deck meets the camper box. Of course, that front four feet is where you're forced to deal with the power box, water heater and furnace.

what he said^^^
Lid and walls go first.....

edit
how is "the front 4feet" possible???
Pics ?

0/10, would not fucking recommend. This is a pain in the ass. It being hotter than the devil's taint is not helping
Yep, been there. Don't have fond memories, accept I did it in the winter.
FYI, don't mix bleach and vinegar to kill the mold. Had no idea I'd made chlorine gas :homer:. Kinda hurts the lungs.

Lid and walls are super solid. The leak was the base of the box up against the cargo deck. We pulled the diamond plate off the front of the box to check it.

Yep, been there. Don't have fond memories, accept I did it in the winter.
FYI, don't mix bleach and vinegar to kill the mold. Had no idea I'd made chlorine gas :homer:. Kinda hurts the lungs.

Oof. 🤣

Fortunately there's going to be nothing left to kill. We're able to cut well back into good wood going four feet back.

These things leak one second after they leave the factory. Been there, done that too.

Make it gud, and hope your wife doesn't want an upgrade. First sign: sell it.

:laughing:

Meh, with the tools available today it would be a piece of cake. Could probably do it all with a cordless multi tool, saws all and a circular saw, a few screws and done :) I've done a boat floor and that was a beotch!

Well, the part I was most concerned about is successfully done. Floor rebuilt and the lift mechanism reinstalled and tested to work. Sent the wife to Lowe's to pick out the flooring of her choice so that when she starts bitching about not liking the flooring in a year or two I'll remind her that it was 100% her choice at the which point it'll be 100% my fault for not helping her choose. I'm well aware that's a no win situation so I'll just sit here and drink beer in the AC knowing something about this flooring choice will be my fault at some point in the future and one option would have me at Lowe's looking at shit I don't care about and the other option has me sitting here drinking beer. I choose B.

Last edited:
Well, the part I was most concerned about is successfully done. Floor rebuilt and the lift mechanism reinstalled and tested to work. Sent the wife to Lowe's to pick out the flooring of her choice so that when she starts bitching about not liking the flooring in a year or two I'll remind her that it was 100% her choice at the which point it'll be 100% my fault for not helping her choose. I'm well aware that's a no win situation so I'll just sit here and drink beer in the AC knowing something about this flooring choice will be my fault at some point in the future and one option would have me at Lowe's looking at shit I don't care about and the other option has me sitting here drinking beer. I choose B.

Most excellent non choice. :laughing:

Meh, with the tools available today it would be a piece of cake. Could probably do it all with a cordless multi tool, saws all and a circular saw, a few screws and done :) I've done a boat floor and that was a beotch!

Fein saw, skil saw, impact driver, hand tools. Took I think 5 evenings to get it apart, fixed, and reassembled.

Love it. This is the kind of stuff you'll hear from an old man with a white beard that sits on top of a mountain that you had to climb for 4 days to get a bit of his wisdom.

Top Back Refresh