What's new

Replacing donut gaskets on a 5.4!

dave_dj1

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Jackson NY
I picked up an 05 F350 single wheel 4x4 with the 5.4 in it, I was going to put on a new muffler that came with it but soon found out the Y pipe is just kind of free floating so I assume the donut gaskets are shot. I'm no Ford man so I don't know what to expect. I am going to have a shop do the work. Any ideas on what it might cost? If I had a lift (I actually have a 4 post that is waiting for the new shop to be built...LOL) I would probably tackle it myself.

Manifolds are studded, nuts like to rust away to nothing, flanges could be rusted/busted not sure don’t have a telescope or the clear skies to see from here :flipoff2:

image.jpg

Should look like this minus the plate clamp to replace the busted stud I failed to extract.

So I finally crawled under the bitch to find that there is one nut missing off the flange on the drivers side, someone has cut the cat off the passenger side and then someone tried to cob in a straight piece of pipe in its place. No bueno..
I ordered a new Y pipe with a cat on each side for half a large!

Gonna Have some fun?

image.jpg
image.jpg

I could be screwing cages together, in an air conditioned building :flipoff2:
F3E28FDF-D2E2-4B67-AA5A-F9CC33C43A62.jpeg

It shouldn't be too bad, the threads on the manifolds actually look pretty good, one nut is missing and the other loose on drivers side, passenger side looks like the nuts will come off. I'l find out if it ever stops raining long enough to crawl under it again.
I don't remember having exhaust manifold issues in the 70's, 80's or 90's for that matter, what changed? :beer:

ETA: I'm not changing manifolds, just Y pipe

Higher temps, more salt, less metal? I dunno. I remember plenty of sbc’s with leaking manifolds. We also drive a lot more, 50k used to be high miles, now 100k is low miles.

I’d cut the Y pipe off. Way easier than replacing a broken stud at the dump.

I got three out of the four off, of course the one remaining nut is almost rusted away to nothing except right at the flange. I've got to figure out a way to cut the nut off, or what's left of it.
I don't own torches. Maybe I can find something that will work in the dremel tool?

Air hammer? Cut off wheel? Pass side or driver?

dremel should work albeit slowly.

your replacing the y pipe i’d cut the flange a-la sawzall or whatever you have that you can fit in there.

Spent most of the day fighting the stub of oil dipstick tube stuck in the block. Ford fucks could have put it anywhere but they chose to tuck it behind the oil cooler & filter pedestal :mad3: 1st I got an easy out “stuck” then after hacking up a t handle tap wrench I got it unstuck and the stub loose, but it wouldn’t snake back out the hole :lmao: so after fighting with it for too long I shoved it down into the oil pan and fished it out the drain hole with a magnet.

Ford, my favorite junk.

It's the upper bolt on the drivers side, cat is in the way mostly. Today I am going to sawsall the cat off just below the flange then take a multi tool with a carbide blade and see if I can get the remnants of the nut off. After that I am hoping I can run a 10 x 1.25 die over it to clean the threads enough to get a nut on. Of course doing all this while laying on the ground in a rain storm yesterday just added to the fun!
Speaking of oil tubes, when they stole the passenger side cat the actually cut into the tube but the hack I bought it from installed a new tube at least.
gotta luv werkin on this shit from the northeast rust belt :shocked:

Well a little good news, I haven't got the nut off yet but I did cut the cat off and take it to the scrap yard and got $300 for it! That takes some of the sting out of the cost of the new Y pipe.
I'm about to place an order at McMaster Carr for a carbide burr and a 10x1.25 die to chase the threads

Top Back Refresh