What's new

Replacement 1985 Toyota Axle Knuckle Ball

Russfest

Member Number
Loc
Vancouver
17F9A988-8074-4E16-80F6-69CE5462B143.jpeg
9F821DE0-8398-4756-A614-D5EADC152D5F.jpeg
I got asked by a friend about an axle he was rebuilding, with a damaged Knuckle Ball. It looks like someone didn’t understand why there was flat parts on the birfield and ground the bearing tabs on the knuckle ball.

Does anyone know of somewhere that sells replacement axle knuckle balls? For an 85 front axle.
I tried looking at Trail Gear and I couldn’t find any. My google skills didn’t find anything elsewhere.

I will admit, I haven’t had one of these apart in 15-20 years. I also used to have spare axles, knuckles etc.

I’m wondering if it would be better for him to swap the whole front axle, after he sources one.

Thanks

17F9A988-8074-4E16-80F6-69CE5462B143.jpeg

9F821DE0-8398-4756-A614-D5EADC152D5F.jpeg

Fukk tg
I think ruff stuff or diamond makes em.
Stand by someone will know who I am thinking on...

I dont think diamond sells their knuckles outright, it's just to showcase that's what they use.

You have to burgle from another housing. I might have one laying around, but I was hoping to keep the housings i have to straighten. If the price is right....

You have to burgle from another housing. I might have one laying around, but I was hoping to keep the housings i have to straighten. If the price is right....

I have 2 bent housings and only saving one. What they going for these days?

That housing looks like it was clearanced for longfields.

That housing looks like it was clearanced for longfields.

You hit the nail on the head I think. He compared to another Birf he had, after he tried to get the cleaned up birfs back in and they would go.
He built up the back of the knuckle with TIG to restrengthen it, then had to trim a bit back off to get the birf in.

He told the 20 year old he was helping do this, to start looking for a spare axle.

Thank you everyone. I did find those ends like was posted, but like you all found, they don't sell just the ends.

I never really bought much from TG. I bought the Marlin seal kit the last time I rebuilt my front axle on my old truck. I mentioned them because they used to have everything.

Looks like my buddy got it back together now, just waiting on brake parts. He was doing it with a neighbour of his to help teach him as he had never done anything like this.

Thank you NOODLES for the offer. You are bit far for me though.. Im north of border in Vancouver. I think I know of someone that has one thats bent, for the reason you kept yours.. The person that got my four spare front axles when I got rid of my truck.
Actually thinking about it, I think you posted a reply to one of my questions on pirate about chevy leafs in the rear, before one of the board crashes. Early 2000's.

Thanks for the help.

You hit the nail on the head I think. He compared to another Birf he had, after he tried to get the cleaned up birfs back in and they would go.
He built up the back of the knuckle with TIG to restrengthen it, then had to trim a bit back off to get the birf in.

He told the 20 year old he was helping do this, to start looking for a spare axle.

Thank you everyone. I did find those ends like was posted, but like you all found, they don't sell just the ends.

I never really bought much from TG. I bought the Marlin seal kit the last time I rebuilt my front axle on my old truck. I mentioned them because they used to have everything.

Looks like my buddy got it back together now, just waiting on brake parts. He was doing it with a neighbour of his to help teach him as he had never done anything like this.

Thank you NOODLES for the offer. You are bit far for me though.. Im north of border in Vancouver. I think I know of someone that has one thats bent, for the reason you kept yours.. The person that got my four spare front axles when I got rid of my truck.
Actually thinking about it, I think you posted a reply to one of my questions on pirate about chevy leafs in the rear, before one of the board crashes. Early 2000's.

Thanks for the help.

I remember having to grind the fuck out of the knuckle balls to get them to clear. That was 2005 I think.

I have 2 bent housings and only saving one. What they going for these days?

I had no idea, But I like ADD's answer. I have only saved them for my own use and have used my spares on my own axle during a +3" install and knuckle rotate.

I would cut them off and toss the housings, but they are both 84/85 housings, and in a pinch, can be straightened at West Coast Frame in West Sacramento.

I had no idea, But I like ADD's answer. I have only saved them for my own use and have used my spares on my own axle during a +3" install and knuckle rotate.

I would cut them off and toss the housings, but they are both 84/85 housings, and in a pinch, can be straightened at West Coast Frame in West Sacramento.

I should take them both there next time I’m at Waantz. They are also one of customers. My boys are wanting to build a rig if I can ever finish mine.

Thanks!

Top Back Refresh