What's new

Replace 6.0 head gaskets in an E series van?

DMG

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Has anyone here done it? It is an ambulance so I don’t think I can lift the body. Can it be done in-vehicle or do I have to pull the motor?

Pull the engine and do everything at once, bed plates, head gaskets, oil cooler, etc. That's what Ford techs do with bodies that can't be removed.

Pull the engine and do everything at once, bed plates, head gaskets, oil cooler, etc. That's what Ford techs do with bodies that can't be removed.

I know in the SD chassis you had to remove 1 or both motor mounts to be able to remove the heads. Even if it's possible to do it in place pulling it and having space to work around stuff sounds so much easier

You have to disassemble the entire accessory drive, pull the intake, fuel system and turbo. Then pull the trans back, bolt a special hoist to the front of the block and lift it out the front of the van with the entire bumper, grill, headlight assembly, core support, intercooler and radiator removed.

I own an 09 cut away with a 6.0 and have looked into it. It looks like a t-total bitch.

You can do gaskets without pulling the engine but you can't do studs.

I would gladly pay the $3k for the dealer to go back with OEM parts and give a warranty on the job. :laughing:

Last edited:
I did one of these once. I did head gaskets, oil cooler, egr cooler, stand pipes, dummy plugs, etc., etc., etc.,.
Even studs @actionfab

OP, your best solution is fire. A van is doable. A cutaway is a whole bucket of nopes.

I know someone in Southern California all he does is ford diesel vans almost exclusively. Most of them 6.0 as he works for an ambulance company. Solid guy but he won’t travel.

I know someone in Southern California all he does is ford diesel vans almost exclusively. Most of them 6.0 as he works for an ambulance company. Solid guy but he won’t travel.

I wouldn’t travel to do this job, either.

What does he charge to do HGs/studs/ear delete?

Yea i did it on a bus. rad and intercooler out. accesory drive off. Pull all the obviou shit...then pull motor mount and loosen trans mount and rotate engine over on its side in the chassis, do one side then rotate it over on the other side

Yea i did it on a bus. rad and intercooler out. accesory drive off. Pull all the obviou shit...then pull motor mount and loosen trans mount and rotate engine over on its side in the chassis, do one side then rotate it over on the other side

Jesus. How long did it take?

Jesus. How long did it take?

Well i was doing injectors which is 1 step above a head gasket

52 hours all labor.

I do have the book on a 06 e350 if i get off my dead ass in a bit i can post the steps...more like take photos with my phone from the book

Well i was doing injectors which is 1 step above a head gasket

52 hours all labor.

I do have the book on a 06 e350 if i get off my dead ass in a bit i can post the steps...more like take photos with my phone from the book

That’s ok, I have alldata.

book time is 31 hours for head gaskets. First step is remove motor.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh