What's new

Removing old telephone pole

PAE

🚨 King of the Who ?🚨
Member Number
Loc
🚨
Would this work, its about 4-5 feet out of the ground.

Dont know how long its been there, guessing at least 30-40 years maybe more.

Would this way work with holes drilled 90° to length within a foot of it going into the ground.

There is math involved so not for the weak (reminder for me, I detest math)

So if the post is say 8 ft tall total in and out of ground what dia wheel / tire or just wheel for chain or cable to ride in.

Pulling post out of ground with a truck, chain, wheel and tire.
https://imgur.com/gallery/5aIe4I0

Maybe would work. Take a long big drill bit and drill a few holes down into it at ground level. Dump some diesel in the holes and light it. Let it go for a few hours.

Could chainsaw most of it off first, them burn it like a stump.

I'd try a taller tire but it might work. If you could wiggle it first to loosen it up also note that in the video the ground is wet.

Last edited:
No way...

Need it gone not a burning stump.

Hitting that with a plow blade would ruin ones day.

Pulling It out is the only option.

I've pulled a few similar poles (not telephone, but still sunk deep) by chaining my high-lift jack to the base and jacking them up. You'll have to put a 4x4 or similar under the jack base to keep from sinking into the soil. I 'chain' them because the links of chain dig into the pole, and get good bite. Typically wrap around two or three times, then hook into the jack and start levering them up.

video doesn't load for me
choker your chain at the base, then run your chain over top of a 4-5' long section of 6-8" dia log that is in the ground at a 45 degree angle, base away from the post in direction of pull, top vertical from the post
pull the chain with truck or winch and the section of log will translate the horizontal pull to vertical pull

to get the log to stand with the chain on it, just dig a 1' deep or so hole to set the bottom into

Depends on the ground and how deep. I’ve pulled many power poles out with the backhoe. some you just have to bump back forth side to side then the pull out easy others you keep hitting them and pulling and they still won’t give up and you wind up having to dig. Worth a try though. Video for posterity.

I've pulled a few similar poles (not telephone, but still sunk deep) by chaining my high-lift jack to the base and jacking them up. You'll have to put a 4x4 or similar under the jack base to keep from sinking into the soil. I 'chain' them because the links of chain dig into the pole, and get good bite. Typically wrap around two or three times, then hook into the jack and start levering them up.

pretty similar to the tool that actually pulls it...instead of high lift its a hydraulic ram with a foot

edit heres a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFk7bRVyylY

Planning on plowing the field its in so unless burning would get it all fosho not worth the risk of hitting it with the tractor or plow.

Should have pulled it when I had a neabour excavator.

Ground has been pretty soft where its at as its a path of run off.

But we havent had the rain in the past 3 or so years that we did 10-15 years past.

Ive done more recent poles with a chunk of 1 inch round bar stock and two hydraulic floor jacks.

Cut it off to a manage able height.

Drill holes in ground with auger. Fill holes with water.

49" tractor rims should be pretty easy to find in the farm areas.

A car going 70 will shear it right at the base.

I saw this happen. The truck took a pole out mid roll.
IMG950332.jpg

Not my 4 cylinder, 5 speed camry. 65 tops. Why don't you let the climate change burn it out? Really though,don't know anyone with a backhoe?

A 1989 Lincoln Towncar will shear it off about 50 if you hit it just right...pole will even throw you back on the road!

Poles are buried at 10% of their height plus 2', so not terribly deep. It should have a round tag slightly recessed a couple feet off the ground that will tell you the height. You could probably give it a couple wraps with a chain and use a highlift to work it out easily. Old pole butts usually pop out without much effort.

Yes, the wheel with a chain over it to transition horizontal force to verticals force will work. No need to drill a rod into it. Wrap it With a chain at the ground line a couple times and pull. If it isn’t all the way out and you can’t wiggle it up, re-grip and pull again. I did bust the internals of 3 point in an 8N Tractor trying to lift a post out of the ground, so I don’t advise that method. Your tractor should give you all the pull you need.

Would this work, its about 4-5 feet out of the ground.

Dont know how long its been there, guessing at least 30-40 years maybe more.

Would this way work with holes drilled 90° to length within a foot of it going into the ground.

There is math involved so not for the weak (reminder for me, I detest math)

So if the post is say 8 ft tall total in and out of ground what dia wheel / tire or just wheel for chain or cable to ride in.

Pulling post out of ground with a truck, chain, wheel and tire.
https://imgur.com/gallery/5aIe4I0

Done that with many a fence post and hedge stump using the tire on a tractor. Just chain through the rim. It's a good way to wreck a fender though if you aren't careful.

Wouldn’t it have been just as easy to try it and find out for your self:confused:

Use the wheel and chain technique. It’s a really neat method for pulling big shit out of the ground with small underpowered vehicles.

One ton dually 4wd chevy is small and under powered or are you just assuming ?

Because it really sounds like you are assuming!@!

Use the wheel and chain technique. It’s a really neat method for pulling big shit out of the ground with small underpowered vehicles.

Top Back Refresh