What's new

remodel ideas

Member Number
Loc
socal
This laundry room that has the water heater off the end of the kitchen is going away and will become part of the master bath. I really don't want to just wall off this door, due to looks and also then I will have to do drywall, texture, paint.

original idea was to do an insert with shelves with sliding doors. solid lowers and glass uppers. something that was discussed last night was a small walk in pantry of sorts, would do a pocket door to accommodate that. what is the smallest pantry that would be useful?

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

Any size pantry will be beneficial if you don't have space to store your pantry shit currently:flipoff2:
Honestly though, the size of a closet in s small bedroom would be enough to get a bunch of shelves in. How much space you willing to eat up in your master?

Any size pantry will be beneficial if you don't have space to store your pantry shit currently:flipoff2:
Honestly though, the size of a closet in s small bedroom would be enough to get a bunch of shelves in. How much space you willing to eat up in your master?

' I ' think we have plenty of space.

i have a few sketches on the master layout, but will being taking some advice from folks and will be laying it out with some plywood and stuff when i get the demo complete for a better spacial idea. i suspect a walk in style will take up more space than i want to give up, plus make for awkwardness in the layout.

' I ' think we have plenty of space.

i have a few sketches on the master layout, but will being taking some advice from folks and will be laying it out with some plywood and stuff when i get the demo complete for a better spacial idea. i suspect a walk in style will take up more space than i want to give up, plus make for awkwardness in the layout.

well, if you are arguing this with the misses, it's one argument you will lose, and you should, intentionally. just so down the road when you want something, you can remind her of the pantry :lmao:
I would think shelves in a closet type room is enough. Walk ins are over rated if you don't have the extra room.
Another thing to consider, when you install a pocket door, drywall hanging and mudding is essential.

Are you getting rid of the water heater? You should go to a tankless and gain more room. They even make them outside mountable

Are you getting rid of the water heater? You should go to a tankless and gain more room. They even make them outside mountable

Water heater will be going on the left end of this wall, with the washer dryer going under the window. I really wanted to go tank less, but the few people i talked with said the water quality in the area makes them a high maintenance item.

IMG_0604.jpg

Butler's pantry/liquor cabinet. You've already got the existing plumbing. Put in a sink base and a counter top with a small sink, wall cabinets over it with glass doors or floating shelves. Wine rack under the walls cabinets if you or the wife drink wine. Small beer or wine fridge next to the sink base.

We do a ton similar to this:

home-design.jpg

Seems like you already figured out your laundry and WH, but this is what I'd consider if still looking for other ideas: make room into part of new restroom, but keep laundry inside. Basically do stacking W/D where washer is at now and move WH to corner where dryer is located. Make non walk-in pantry/storage closet where that doorway is at, with hidden access door inside to access WH the few times you'll need to touch it. Probably about 24" deep pantry with full length pull out shelves/drawers and cover with matching cabinet doors. For the restroom part, add toilet where WH was located

the original sketches from when i started pondering this. it was advised the vanity width be more standard and the shower smaller. not 100% sold on the layout as it would require some significant plumbing mods.

wife didnt want stacked laundry, it was discussed when we bought these units about a year ago. as it would have gave up a few options like the one you mentioned.

IMG_3559.jpg

IMG_3558.jpg

If that was mine I would want to take 18” out of the bathroom and give it to the kitchen. I realize then you’re redoing the kitchen too but that bathroom ends up being huge. That shower could easily be 4’ deep and have 3’ between it and the vanity. That window above the vanity is in a shitty spot too. Is walling that in and putting a new window between the vanity and shower an option?

Is that a barn door? Can you put it on the bedroom side and do a full enclosure for the water closet?

Shower is custom i assume? Do you have a reason for that size? 60x60 will be big and feel cold(depending on head locations). On your sketch show where the door is and head/ heads / controls are.
Ours is about 40x60. It's just about right because we have 2 heads, 1 wand, and 3 body sprays. I use both heads and the body sprays every. Single. Shower. And it's great!

If that was mine I would want to take 18” out of the bathroom and give it to the kitchen. I realize then you’re redoing the kitchen too but that bathroom ends up being huge. That shower could easily be 4’ deep and have 3’ between it and the vanity. That window above the vanity is in a shitty spot too. Is walling that in and putting a new window between the vanity and shower an option?

Is that a barn door? Can you put it on the bedroom side and do a full enclosure for the water closet?

barn door is an idea that has been abandoned. cant be on the other side because we have a master bedroom set for a house build in the 2000s in but a house built in the 60s.

after some pondering i like this layout better. i can open the wall up on the bedroom side to give it a larger feel. the pooper will be tuck in the back out of site. turquose would be wall, pink glass to the shower, and green would be open space. may drop down the hieght of the wall on the right side.

heck, i may leave the water heater where it is at saving me some trouble and put some pantry space on the opposite side.

Shower is custom i assume? Do you have a reason for that size? 60x60 will be big and feel cold(depending on head locations). On your sketch show where the door is and head/ heads / controls are.
Ours is about 40x60. It's just about right because we have 2 heads, 1 wand, and 3 body sprays. I use both heads and the body sprays every. Single. Shower. And it's great!

yea shower will be custom. 60x60 is a random number as you mentioned and was mentioned on the other site that is way large. plan is mutliple shower heads, unsure on location because im making all that up as i go and it would depend on where i plan on putting things.

InkedIMG_0606_LI.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

Last edited:
i like the pantry idea, but I'd skip the pocket door... I'd have a custom book-case/storage built-in that also acted as a door... so you could have a somewhat secret storage location... and additional functionality of the shelving in the kitchen.

And you wouldn't have to re-frame for the pocket door. :smokin:

i like the pantry idea, but I'd skip the pocket door... I'd have a custom book-case/storage built-in that also acted as a door... so you could have a somewhat secret storage location... and additional functionality of the shelving in the kitchen.

And you wouldn't have to re-frame for the pocket door. :smokin:

i like the door shelf idea, ill have to explore that more

Top Back Refresh