What's new

Remember when you all helped me sell out of my kid's book? (Update)

Bonanza

Member Number
Pepperidge Farm remembers!

Last year, (pre-rona), and on that other site, Chit-Chat helped me with a good chunk of sales on my self-published book:

Oliver Goes Offroad!

It was a full color board book we did all ourselves: the art, the words, the publishing, registration, etc. etc.

Well, we sold all 500 copies. And I donated about 20% of the proceeds to CORVA to try and keep public lands open. I was going to make a whole new book, but our new artist took the down payment and blocked us on IG. Bummer. I re-did all the art from Book 1, and changed some of the words around. I removed the ticky-tack sponsor stuff and added another page of art. We just received our batch of 500 copies of edition 2.

But best of all-- in one of the pages, I included an easter egg paying homage to this board and everyone that helped get us off the ground. The support here not only bolstered sales in a big way, but gave us a lot of confidence and happiness that we could actually do this. I wanted to once again thank everyone here for helping the cause, and a not-so-shameless plug that if you know anyone that could use a simple, cheap Christmas gift related to offroading, for young kids.... we're back in business!

I hope you guys get a good laugh at the Irate Easter egg! :grinpimp:

https://www.amazon.com/Oliver-goes-...road&qid=1606761582&sr=8-1&tag=91812054244-20

:eek:

Chemical442

Capture.JPG

I missed out the first go around. I ordered one this time!

and x2... post up more on the IG thief.

I missed out the first go around. I ordered one this time!

and x2... post up more on the IG thief.

His name is "KillBill" https://www.instagram.com/killthebillygoat/?hl=en

My partner met with him in person, but for some reason never got his real name. $500 later, he blocked us both on IG and gave us nothing. All we know about him is he lives in San Bernardino County near Redlands. As soon as we get his real name (I think it's William Hernandez) and address, we can serve him with our small claims lawsuit. Kind of one of those "I trust people til I get burned" kind of situations.

If you guys want a small doodle, signed copies, or shout out for your little ones in the books, let me know! Always glad to make a copy special. I do all the shipping so it all goes through me!

His name is "KillBill" https://www.instagram.com/killthebillygoat/?hl=en

My partner met with him in person, but for some reason never got his real name. $500 later, he blocked us both on IG and gave us nothing. All we know about him is he lives in San Bernardino County near Redlands. As soon as we get his real name (I think it's William Hernandez) and address, we can serve him with our small claims lawsuit. Kind of one of those "I trust people til I get burned" kind of situations.

If you guys want a small doodle, signed copies, or shout out for your little ones in the books, let me know! Always glad to make a copy special. I do all the shipping so it all goes through me!

enough got this info, now delete this post and i will delete mine... if you're starting a suit against him, you don't need this to go against you(you know doxxing)

Someone needs to reach out to him and string him along promising a really big $$$$$ deal, say over two weeks time, then during a conversation bring up that during a background check , it was found he was stiffing people then tell him sorry cannot do business with someone with questionable background . :evil::evil:

I will be ordering. We have 13 Grandkids but some are a little old for the book. I will check with the wife before ordering.

So if I order it on Amazon do I just tell you to throw a doodle on it/shoutout to my little girl on here? Figured I'd ask before buying. I probably won't be around the computer again till late tonight but you'll have another order when I do! :smokin:

What’s with the 3 buying options? $10 for new then $40 and $50 for used:confused:

The other two options are people re-selling their used copies. Probably figured they could make bank on them since he sold out of the first production run. Now he's back with a new production run and they are there looking like asses with their used copies. :laughing:

So if I order it on Amazon do I just tell you to throw a doodle on it/shoutout to my little girl on here? Figured I'd ask before buying. I probably won't be around the computer again till late tonight but you'll have another order when I do! :smokin:

You can DM me here or on insta. I can draw in the book, do a side doodle, whatever you want! Anyone can order through me directly as well to avoid Amazon's cut-- they take $1.40 per book!

Yeah I noticed when I updated the store that people were re-selling copies for $40-50! Dang maybe I'm underpricing these....

You can DM me here or on insta. I can draw in the book, do a side doodle, whatever you want! Anyone can order through me directly as well to avoid Amazon's cut-- they take $1.40 per book!

Yeah I noticed when I updated the store that people were re-selling copies for $40-50! Dang maybe I'm underpricing these....

More likely, it's an algorithm of some sort that is ill-suited for low volumes like you have.
If supply is low it bumps the price up until it stops getting orders, then holds there.

Aaron Z

I was going to order 2x I understand the 2x books is 2x the price, but why does the shipping double too?

I'd be happy to buy direct as well.

For future versions change the jeep to bronco,toyota,Suzuki Chevy , dodge ect... hit all the brands to increase sales.

This one is a second edition of the first. I changed a lot, pixel by pixel during my lunch hours. The second whole new book was supposed to be a trip to the Hammers, with Oliver meeting the cartoon version of Sherer, Waggoner, and B Campbell's cars. (they all were excited to be featured) The artist we hired took all of my sketches, the last of our profit, and blocked us. Half a year's work gone. I should've known better and not given my originals, but *sigh*.

The batch of 500 books costs about $3k to print and ship. Amazon charges $40 a month and another $1.40 per unit. We ship at $2.80 media mail but buy our own supplies. Around 25% of profit goes to CORVA as was the original intent, so needless to say the theft hit us hard both in morale and money. I actually had a whole page filled with PBB references and insider jokes, but its now gone.

But all in all, I did this just to have something personal to share with my own kids, and make other people happy along the way. We give away a lot of the profit, and the only money we've taken is to reimburse our own costs. It's just a fun little side project I hope makes other people happy. :)

Still hoping to do the true second book one day!

I was going to order 2x I understand the 2x books is 2x the price, but why does the shipping double too?

I'd be happy to buy direct as well.

I shipped two today in one envelope, so it shouldn't double it. I can sell direct if you'd like to keep the price as low as I can!

Top Back Refresh