What's new

RemArms

Aisin

Grumpy old fuck
Member Number
I have a pre Freedom Group Remington 870. I bought it approximately 21 years ago. It was produced during the 3 years that Remington was not date code stamping the barrels. I emailed RemArms about a week ago inquiring as to when my shotgun was built. When they transitioned to the new owners I was told that they did not acquire the serial number data base. ALL of that information on record is now long gone unfortunately. So much for finding out when it was built.

Foo
Phawkin
Bar
How is that possible?
I would want date proof for court at minimum if I was buying that kinda liability (I live in the prk) not to mention customer care aspects....:shaking:

One would hope the serial number database would simply disappear but I bet teh goverment already has it.

ran into that with other products in the past, it can be a good thing, and it can be a bad thing.

Gun collectors I bet have a way of finding out.

They know the rough serial number ranges ran during those years so it can at least be narrowed down to that. Until a database of known production dates versus serial numbers is put together, there might not be a way to know the month.

Does it matter all that much if the design hasn’t changed and all parts work in it?

I can see it being a huge PITA if there were 3 different magazine springs, etc depending on when it was built.

I wouldn’t be surprised if somebody on the shotgun world forum knows dates based on serial numbers. All it takes is enough contributors.

I have a 870 20ga from 2000 is, I got it when I was 10.
Are you just trying to find out what 3 years weren't stamped?

I was just curious. Im not going to lose any sleep over it. The only thing that matters is that it is an actual Remington. I held a new 870 in my hands today. It did not feel the same as mine.

I have a 870 20ga from 2000 is, I got it when I was 10.
Are you just trying to find out what 3 years weren't stamped?
I know what years weren’t stamped. Just was curious about it’s born date

I think like 1100s, the sn on the receiver dated it? Or similar system?

Ask I can say is I had an 870 20g youth express I got when I was young (8-10), that got stolen when our storage unit complex got broken into when I was 17+-, not one 870 in any variety has fit like mine did. Not new, used, 12g, 20, youth/ non youth.

To the point, I haven't found a shotgun with that natural engrained fit and it still sours me. Tried a few older 1100s too

Gonna drop her off at Vang Comp to get the full treatment. Cutting the barrel down to 14 inches and the bore worked over. They are 3 miles from my house.

There's no need for the date.

The newest ones are actually smoother than freedom group.

At some point they put a divot in the magazine tube. So the later ones you have to drill it out to add a mag extension.

I have an old one. For the $450 they want now, I'd buy the Benelli.

Top Back Refresh