What's new

refried beans - simple and easy

GF made a batch and it was done in time for supper, wow is all I can say. No more store bought for us.

I fried in lard till halfway crispy and dropped it on top of a big pile of Mex rice she makes, covered that in shredded cheddar montery mix and a decent dousing of her salsa.

Nom nom nom.

Tons left over so I'll do the same again tomorrow with some taco meat and fold it into burritos for our lunch.

10 out of 10. This is gonna be put into permanent rotation around here.

I was released on Thurs to go home, looks like I'll live on for a while yet.:flipoff2:

right on. pace yourself and freeze the left overs.

Intestine issues put him in the hospital, gets out and eats a whole mess of beans.

Absolute savage.:lmao:

do you hold back when you get your replacement motor in your rig? NOPE drop the hammer and make sure the fix works

if you want them extra creamy and a fast track to heart disease stir in some manteca aka lard.
C4A1BD1D-458E-49B5-8813-6FAFBAEFA099.jpeg
How much lard?

Just made some of this today.

Tastes great and nice and creamy.

I did not add the lard.

Got six 1 cup bags for the freezer.

I'm glad someone posted this. So much better than a can.

Anyone have a recipe for good Mexican rice? Everything from a box, that I've tried is junk.

I'm glad someone posted this. So much better than a can.

Anyone have a recipe for good Mexican rice? Everything from a box, that I've tried is junk.

let me see if thewife has a recipe. i tried cooking it multiple times based on my mothers instructions but gave up. thewife has perfected it.

I finally got to give these a try, can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

I started with dry beans, soaked them overnight, and used the "low" slow cook setting on my instantpot. After 8 hours I tried a few, and the beans were more grainy than mushy, I figured they might not have cooked long enough, and then realized I was a retard for not just using the instantpot to work bean magic like it's known for. After 30min of pressure cooking, they were marginally better, but not at all soft and smooth like I would expect.

I did some reading and many recipes say not to add salt until after the beans are cooked, as it can mess with how the beans cook. I also was really liberal with the seasonings in the beginning, and the beans tasted as bland as they could be (before the chorizo). Did I screw up the process somehow? Did I just start with nasty old dried beans?

I started with dry beans, soaked them overnight, and used the "low" slow cook setting on my instantpot. After 8 hours I tried a few, and the beans were more grainy than mushy, I figured they might not have cooked long enough, and then realized I was a retard for not just using the instantpot to work bean magic like it's known for. After 30min of pressure cooking, they were marginally better, but not at all soft and smooth like I would expect.

I did some reading and many recipes say not to add salt until after the beans are cooked, as it can mess with how the beans cook. I also was really liberal with the seasonings in the beginning, and the beans tasted as bland as they could be (before the chorizo). Did I screw up the process somehow? Did I just start with nasty old dried beans?

my mom has made beans in the crockpot all my life, recently tried them in an instapot. thankfully she has always been open to feedback with her cooking, so i told her they were nasty (and tasted just like you described). i told but stop with the instapot and go back to the crockpot, not sure what she does when im not around, but when i come over she makes em in the crockpot.

my mom has made beans in the crockpot all my life, recently tried them in an instapot. thankfully she has always been open to feedback with her cooking, so i told her they were nasty (and tasted just like you described). i told but stop with the instapot and go back to the crockpot, not sure what she does when im not around, but when i come over she makes em in the crockpot.
I guess I'll have to dig out the crockpot that I haven't touched since getting the instapot and give it another try!

Chadwick mentioned it earlier, so maybe he could advise.

Derp . , mobil1syn. Not all insta pots have it , however mine has a "Poridge" setting button.. Only button I push once lid has Been twisted shut..... p.s. use some slap ya mama seasoning in as well....:smokin::usa: hopefully this helped. I can take a pic of button layout if need be on insta pot I Have.. never once have I had happen what you described unless. I used it as you have described. Like first time I did ham.n. beans... ended up doing the pressure cook side for 1.5hr afterward and they were correct consistency for what I look forward to in a ham.n bean soup. Once again hope this helped.

Derp . , mobil1syn. Not all insta pots have it , however mine has a "Poridge" setting button.. Only button I push once lid has Been twisted shut.

I tried them again and that did the trick!

The chorizo is definitely the secret ingredient that makes these delicious,

Lightly roasted green chilis.. n beans once again "Poridge" setting... will pull chili's out once finished..and as always . A lil slap ya mama' seasoning in ..:smokin:

Attachments

• 20220404_104259_06.mp4
    3.8 MB
  • 20220404_104204.jpg
    20220404_104204.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
Top Back Refresh