What's new

Refinishing a wall after water damage.

Will12785

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Syracuse, NY
I had a pipe blow up on me while I wasn't home and run for a solid hour before coming home to a soaking wet basement. Thankfully its not too too bad.

The house is a split level with a finished basement and the pipe that broke was basically at landing level.

My plan is to rip out all the sheet rock on around the landing and on the wall going down the side of the house that its on. Then I will hit everything with killz, then paint with foundation sealer, and frame the new wall with metal studs.

Ive never used metal studs before, but I think they will do better up against the foundation block.

Does this seem like the correct course of action?

20200614_154516.jpg

20200615_205213.jpg

20200614_194624.jpg

g90 studs against any concrete block
or a layer of peel and stick between the block and g60 or lessor galvanized grade studs.
otherwise your course of action is correct.
add some ridgid insulation as well.

g90 studs against any concrete block
or a layer of peel and stick between the block and g60 or lessor galvanized grade studs.
otherwise your course of action is correct.
add some ridgid insulation as well.

Thanks. Would the peel and stick stick be the sealer? Or would I put it on over the sealer?

Put some fans or a dehumidifier in there for 2x what feels like the necessary length and throw sheet rock back over those studs if they have never given you problems before

As cheap and easy as that would be, I tend to go overboard on everything.

Put some fans or a dehumidifier in there for 2x what feels like the necessary length and throw sheet rock back over those studs if they have never given you problems before

^this, if you do not have constant moisture problems it will be fine once dry. kilz will not help anything in that situation. Just dry it well for about a month.

i'm not sure why you would rip out the existing wood studs unless they have rot. no reason to put in new studs or metal studs. dry it with fans for a week, seal it with killz, put in new drywall and finish it out to match.

If there is no rot, leave the studs. Buy a moisture meter, run the dehumidifier and use the moisture meter to check levels in the area until they are normalized with the rest of the house. Then reassemble as it was before.

If there is no rot, leave the studs. Buy a moisture meter, run the dehumidifier and use the moisture meter to check levels in the area until they are normalized with the rest of the house. Then reassemble as it was before.

this x4 or whatever.

Top Back Refresh