What's new

Red dot up front

plym49.2

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Can a red dot be mounted in the middle of the handguard or even just behind the front sight? Will be an offset mount. Sub2000 problems.

VG SERE

Member Number
Yep, on my AK. Freaking love it. Now that I think about it same on my KS7. Although it's a bullpup, so :confused:

plym49.2

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Yep, on my AK. Freaking love it. Now that I think about it same on my KS7. Although it's a bullpup, so :confused:
How far forward? Because of the short stock I will likely need to mount it at the first maglock slot up front. Otherwise I can't get a sight picture.

TrikeKid

Junk Hoarder
Member Number
Loc
Auburn, WA
I've never personally handled a sub2000 but looking at where you're talking about mounting, it doesn't appear much different from the UltimAK gas tube optic mounts that have been around forever for AKs that people love. I wouldn't hesitate to mount one that far out.

Stuck

But not in TX
Member Number
As long as the mounting point is stable to the barrel its fine. I carried my m4 with my optic further forward. I think its faster to aquire the sight picture.

aron82

Member Number
Loc
Casper, Wyoming
Lots of people do that with their sub2ks, or aks with gas tube mounts. There are even scout mounts for bolt action rifles.
Red dots have infinite eye relief, so you just look through them and don't have to worry about the eye box.
Midwest industries makes a great mount for the sub2k that rotates out of the way so you can still fold it.

Weasel

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Black Hills, SoDak
I run a dot about that far up on my PAP, can't go further forward as I run out of barrel. And agree I love having sighs that far forward. It's super fast on my hunting rifle.

plym49.2

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Lots of people do that with their sub2ks, or aks with gas tube mounts. There are even scout mounts for bolt action rifles.
Red dots have infinite eye relief, so you just look through them and don't have to worry about the eye box.
Midwest industries makes a great mount for the sub2k that rotates out of the way so you can still fold it.
I saw that. I am first going to try offsetting to one side or the other since fewer moving parts and could still fold it. Because the rifle is so tiny, I might have to hold it sideways (ejection port up). Everything up in the air at this point; I first wanted to check if a forward mounting is OK.

Appreciate the responses.