What's new
  • If you don't frequent the chat forum, make sure you read this post regarding land usage. It would be great if we could get everybody to send a comment in before Oct 7th!

Recommend a way to 'clean' a fridge/freezer that had rotten food in it

Lil'John

Former #278
Member Number
Loc
Walking to the Rubicon
Short is the title.

Long: Power was out for about 10 days. Food died in a fridge and a standup freezer. I'm trying to clear the smell out.

I let the freezer air out a full day. Used bleach/water solution. Let it air out another half day to prevent freezing water. Not sure the smell is gone but my nose is going over sensitive so I could be imagining the smell.

I'm trying same theory with the fridge except I pulled out drawers/etc and washed them in the sink.

I'm worried more about the freezer with non-removable shelves since it is relatively new(3-4 years old).

crispins

FJB
Member Number
Loc
Pigeon Forge, TN
I had a renter move out, turn off power, and leave at least 30 lbs of meat in the fridge.

I cleaned it out, just with normal shit, and the fridge was fine again.

I think you might be imagining it or it is too soon

Santa

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
North Pool
Oof. Good luck. When I lost power for 7 days at my sac house at least it was February and stayed cool enough shit didn't get to bad.

I think I made a made a backing soda slurry and wiped down all the interior and scrubbed the drawers with soap and water like 5 times:barf:

Southernfriedcj8

Member Number
I took mine apart and bleached every surface.

Stand up freezer full of deer meat and a breaker tripped, unbeknownst to me.

Lilyota

***erated
Member Number
Loc
Bolivar MO
I lost a small chest freezer full of meat a couple of years ago do to power outage.

Then it sat for who knows how long.

When I realized it had happened I loaded it into the back of the truck with everything in it and took it to the dump.

When I backed into the spot it was to be dumped in the cat driver moved away:lmao:

I cleverly ran a strap through the hinges on the back and proceeded to dump it out of the back of the truck.

From there I took the freezer to the recycle yard and left it sitting there.

Some poor basted probably opens it up and threw up:lmao:

I wanted nothing to do with it.

Still haven't replaced the freezer.

Probably won't.

Splib

Rusty Spoons
Member Number
Loc
Marsh
No. Real true fridge gizim is relentless and a formidable foe. When a wise one gu-rues up the zealots will follow and heep adoration and status. The Peroxide is the best slim chance for a one-wipe and clean.

FJC11

# FJB
Member Number
Short is the title.

Long: Power was out for about 10 days. Food died in a fridge and a standup freezer. I'm trying to clear the smell out.

I let the freezer air out a full day. Used bleach/water solution. Let it air out another half day to prevent freezing water. Not sure the smell is gone but my nose is going over sensitive so I could be imagining the smell.

I'm trying same theory with the fridge except I pulled out drawers/etc and washed them in the sink.

I'm worried more about the freezer with non-removable shelves since it is relatively new(3-4 years old).
Napalm

Wheelin66bronco

Still here
Member Number
Loc
Star Valley, Wyoming
th-2492672604.jpg

Splib

Rusty Spoons
Member Number
Loc
Marsh
Whatever happened to the sentencing of the two guys, the father son duo that blasted the asshole in Texas over the mattress-dumpster ? Entirely on topic

300sniper

Gun Plumber
Member Number
In my early twenties I was renting a house with a roommate. One day my parents were in town and took me to Costco (maybe Price Club back then?) and stocked me up on meat.

One day, after many of not opening the garage fridge/freezer, we opened it to realize it was broken, probably for weeks. Went out to the work truck and grabbed a couple rolls of 2” electric tape, wrapped the shit out of it making sure the doors couldn’t open, and shoved it in the corner of the overgrown backyard.

It was still there when we moved out a year later…

MuntCuffin

Upgrayedded user
Member Number
Loc
Farm lands and horse's asses
Whatever happened to the sentencing of the two guys, the father son duo that blasted the asshole in Texas over the mattress-dumpster ? Entirely on topic
They have retained [email protected]!!!!eleven as their attorney in his uncles snazzy suit.

Be sure to call Mothfukle and Mothfukle for all your law related needs.

Bacchus

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
N. Texas
Sunlight. Empty it out, clean it as best you can, and leave it in the yard, doors propped open, tilted back a bit to help get direct sunlight all up in there.

Stuck

In Hell
Member Number
Take them outside and spray the fuck out them with clorox cleaner. Let it sit for awhile then scrub the shit out of them then hose them out. Then spray again with the bleach spray. Plug them in and turn the freezer temps up and the refrig down then let them run for a day or two. Unplug and then rinse them out and let them dry. Get a big bag of baking soda and spread it out on big plates or cookie sheets. Fill the fridge and freezer with them. Plug them in and let them run again for several days. I learned that from the guy we by used appliances from for our rentals. It worked the one time I tried it on a funked up fridge.

Stuck

In Hell
Member Number
Sunlight. Empty it out, clean it as best you can, and leave it in the yard, doors propped open, tilted back a bit to help get direct sunlight all up in there.
This will actually help a lot.

IGT

Almost done
Member Number
Loc
Wyoming
Seen them by the thousands just like yours after hurricanes Katrina and Rita on the streets from Lake Charles to Vinton.
Home owners would duct tape them shut and leave them on the curb.

Some of those folks tried to clean them but in a few days their fridge or freezer was back on the curb.

YMMV

When I started reading your post that smell came back to me :flipoff2:

Spit…

Pocahontas

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Whats ibb thoughts on a ozone generator, works for funk on interiors.

Lil'John

Former #278
Member Number
Loc
Walking to the Rubicon
So far, it looks like the fridge "cleaned up" nicely with no smells. The freezer seems to be struggling. It figures that the thing I want fawked up comes through like a champ and the thing I want good is not in good shape:shaking:

I will try another round of bleach and do baking soda in a cookie sheet... then pray.

billdacat

No road...no problem.
Member Number
Loc
Utah or bust!
Take it to the dump.... No way your going to get the smell out. BTDT....:homer::homer::homer::homer:
On the plus side; stuff a dead hooker in it.... :idea:

WLDWUN

in the woods
Member Number
Loc
Pollock Pines CA
TLDR
Dump that bitch and get a new one
Call homeowners ins
and he is not wrong here
check with you homeowners insurance company.

when we were out last year we didn't lose power at all.:confused:
if we did, they would have covered more of the loses from being evacuated.
as I stated earlier, they did even pay for an air purifier as well.

you pay them good money
find out what they will/wont cover
also because of the fire, and a state of emergency was declared, they cannot cancel us for 2 years

Lawless

A turd in the herd
Member Number
Loc
Canuckistan
Take them outside and spray the fuck out them with clorox cleaner. Let it sit for awhile then scrub the shit out of them then hose them out. Then spray again with the bleach spray. Plug them in and turn the freezer temps up and the refrig down then let them run for a day or two. Unplug and then rinse them out and let them dry. Get a big bag of baking soda and spread it out on big plates or cookie sheets. Fill the fridge and freezer with them. Plug them in and let them run again for several days. I learned that from the guy we by used appliances from for our rentals. It worked the one time I tried it on a funked up fridge.
I was gonna post up almost the exact same thing. It worked for me when I had a freezer full of rotten meat.

Lil'John

Former #278
Member Number
Loc
Walking to the Rubicon
if you had just let the house burn down this would not be an issue :flipoff2:

glad you are home and safe and have to deal with the little problems now
If I were "honest", I was kind of hoping it would burn to the ground. Moving 10 grocery bags of clothes and a 68 mustang out of state would be a hell of a lot cheaper than a full house:lmao::homer:

Lee

Guild of Calamitous Intent
Member Number
Loc
The Natural State
Fraternity next door to us in college got in big trouble, lost their charter, and those that didn't get kicked out of school all had to find somewhere else to live.

They had a chest freezer on the patio area by their house on our side. A few months after they were evicted we watched a crew in full hazmat gear clean out the freezer. It was like the scene in E.T. when the government shows up. Kind of eerie.

Those guys threw some kick ass parties, we were a little bummed when they left. Plus they usually caused enough trouble that no one paid any attention to little 'ole us.