What's new

Recommend a me .22 for my wife

ThePanzerFuhrer

The Rock Breaker God
Member Number
Loc
Wi
My wife wants a .22 to take care of the varmints in the yard. Looking for a decent gun for her. Something that can take a beating and still shoot decent. What do you guys suggest? I will prolly have to build a holster for what ever I buy for the riding lawn mower. That is when she sees all the critters lol.

For a rifle I really like the Ruger 10/22. For pistol I like the Ruger single six for a revolver, and the Sig mosquito for an auto.

Either or both lol

Wife asked me to buy her a gun. If I can stretch it into two guns I’m gonna lol. I have quite a few guns but no .22’s for some reason ;(

Personally, It's up to ergonomics.

I was a fan of the P22 until i got my hands on a SR22. I'm the least tacticool person out there and cant stand the popular buckmark.

Just to make people irate, the ruger 10/22 is overblown. Good, but not the end all be all folks make it. I have a Remington 597, thats been through tens of thousands of rounds and ive never even cleaned it. Factory mags sucked and had no issues with aftermarket.

The 10/22 is fun because you can play barbie doll with it and dress it up. Why not something simple like a savage MKII bolt action or an old steel lever action .22?

I like lever actions, I have a winchester .22mag lever action with a cheap-ish scope (all from the late 70's I think).

It's quite accurate, and to be honest the only cleaning I've ever done on it is running a snake through the bore every now and then. Never had to take the action apart or anything. To me it's the perfect plinking rifle, I think it would work fantastic for varmints.

For a pistol my wife likes her Browning Buckmark Camper, I did a tactical solutions barrel and grips. it's been dependable

Hard to beat a 10/22 it's a great recommendation, though carrying it on a mower, would make me want something shorter.

I've got a MKIV 22/45 lite I stuck a little Bushnell red dot on, that's a lot of fun, 10 rounds go quick. I shot an acquaintance's MKIII hunter (I think) whatever the heavy barrel version is called. I'm a lot better shot with the heavy barrel pistol than I am my own "lite" version. If you go this route, stick with the MKIV line over the previous generations just for ease of break down and cleaning.

A 10/22 Charger would probably be the perfect, solution for riding around on a mower. Stick a folding pistol brace on it, maybe a little scabbard on the mower to stick it in.
images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRWuw2BYN6rHYl6yunsRywmFcXh3oXNQg8SwA&usqp=CAU.jpg

Another vote for the 10/22 for a rifle. My "takes a beating but keeps on working" .22 pistol is a Heritage Rough Rider. The Heritage is my trapping gun. It takes a lot of abuse and is a sub $200 pistol. It's not exactly a long range tack driver though.
Also as far as rifles go, I have a couple Marlin Model 60's and have had great luck with them.

Kel-Tec CMR-30 might be worth looking at too. It's a little hotter, and more expensive to feed, being a .22 WMR, but is compact, comes with a collapsible stock, and has 30 rounds on queue.

Just to make people irate, the ruger 10/22 is overblown. Good, but not the end all be all folks make it. I have a Remington 597, thats been through tens of thousands of rounds and ive never even cleaned it. Factory mags sucked and had no issues with aftermarket.

Just to be clear, I don't even own a 10/22. Two Brownings, a Winchester lever, a Marlin LTR, and a S&W M&P 15/22 Performance center, but no 10/22's.

Ever seen one of these. A BAR styled 22, I've only ever seen one other out in the wild.

wm_485254.JPG

she wants to shoot varmints in the yard and everyone is gung-ho on a semi-auto 10/22? come on guys.

Savage Fv-SS-letternumbercombowhatever... will need a scope, but they can be had with threaded barrels. i have decent enough 22lr scopes that i can pass along.

any mossberg bolt action made before the 1970s. model 44, 42m, 46b, 144, etc.

CZ 452/455

Browning Tbolt is good too. stay out of the salt era guns of the 60s.

there's a bunch of different good ones, Anschutz makes a few "lower" end options, just depends on what you want to spend.

but id make sure it was a bolt action.

For a pistol my wife likes her Browning Buckmark Camper, I did a tactical solutions barrel and grips. it's been dependable

I have this.... and a 10/22. The buckmark is a really handy pistol and, at least for me, just works. Like others above have said it will boil down to ergonomics and what fits you, and your needs.

I have had my little 10/22 for almost 30 years. It's still plugging away.

Texas97 There's a lot of ways to skin this cat. 10/22 is ubiquitous, cheap, reliable, and fairly accurate.

That said, I've taken a lot more varmints & pests with a Winchester 290 than anything else, because that's what dad had, and that's what I grew up shooting.

Chasing critters from a mower, I'd still pick a semi auto over a bolt.

I've got numerous rimfires bolt and semi, various calibers, Marlin 60, Marlin 795, Remington 597, a couple different Remington 10/22s, Henry, Savage bolt action, A17, etc. If I had to pick one "do it all" it'd be one of the 10/22s with the 597 coming in second.

Henry Lever action, and it shoots everything. Long Rifle, shorts, long, CB cap

(I like a 10/22, but sometimes I like to shoot shorts)

Henry Lever action, and it shoots everything. Long Rifle, shorts, long, CB cap

(I like a 10/22, but sometimes I like to shoot shorts)

I have a henry .22 for shooting around the house, I can run shorts or low velocity in it. My wife loves the henry for some reason. I have a 10/22 with a 2-7 scope I personally like the best.

Marlin tube mag semi rifle.
Marlin-99.jpg

Ruger lcr 8 shot wheel gun in a pistol.

4.jpg

My vote is for a 10/22. My wife loves hers, I won't take more than one box of ammo anymore because she will go thru it way to fast

Texas97 There's a lot of ways to skin this cat. 10/22 is ubiquitous, cheap, reliable, and fairly accurate.

That said, I've taken a lot more varmints & pests with a Winchester 290 than anything else, because that's what dad had, and that's what I grew up shooting.

Chasing critters from a mower, I'd still pick a semi auto over a bolt.

I've got numerous rimfires bolt and semi, various calibers, Marlin 60, Marlin 795, Remington 597, a couple different Remington 10/22s, Henry, Savage bolt action, A17, etc. If I had to pick one "do it all" it'd be one of the 10/22s with the 597 coming in second.

I bet them Remington 10/22s are of extra shitty quality :flipoff2:

I bet them Remington 10/22s are of extra shitty quality :flipoff2:

Damn, too many R word for my pea brain to process. :homer:

Though, speaking of Remington's "10/22" the 597, I don't know why they never caught on quite like the 10/22? They've got some aftermarket support, but nothing like the 10/22. I've got one of the last .22 WMR 597 they made, heavy barrel & laminate stock. It's a shooter! Bought the father-in-law one just like it, when I got mine, they're like 12 serial numbers apart, it's his go-to coyote gun. Stuck with stock capacity mags though, no one makes higher cap mags for the WMR.

So you own one of those? That one on Guns America is beautiful. I'm happy to see that it is sold!

Yes, it's at the back of my safe in a sock, so pulled a pic from GB. Dad bought it in a pawn shop in Vegas sometime in the 70's, it's cool as hell.

Top Back Refresh