What's new

Recommend a me .22 for my wife

I have a henry .22 for shooting around the house, I can run shorts or low velocity in it. My wife loves the henry for some reason. I have a 10/22 with a 2-7 scope I personally like the best.

I have an old Remington single shot bolt rifle that takes most of the critters, I’ll stick my Smith & Wesson M&P.22 pistol in my back pocket when I take the trash to the road

The wife has a browning buckmark that she really likes (it has purple grips).

She also likes my Ruger MKIII target hunter with a volquartsen workover, but not as much as her Browning.

For a 22 rifle she doesn't like the bolt actions nearly as much as the semi-autos.
Likes my lighter 10-22more than the heavier target one.
Really likes the Sig 522 with a red dot.

She also really likes shooting the PS90 in 5.7x28mm.

She seems to like the pistols more than the rifles around the property.

Take the wife to the gun store and have her look at whatever she wants and let her pick.

Split the difference. Buckmark Silhouette. Wacked more critters in the 20 years I've had it than anything else. It is hard to go wrong with a 10/22 and/or one of the Ruger Mark? pistols.
20200705_162103.jpg

For a rifle I really like the Ruger 10/22. For pistol I like the Ruger single six for a revolver,

Try a Ruger Wrangler in place of the single six. I just bought one and it is a pretty good little revolver and it's cheap. You can't beat a 10-22 for a rifle in 22 IMO

Last edited:
Went to the gun shop on Friday. Ended up buying a 10/22 and tossed a 1.75 x 4 scope on it. Should be perfect for the wife. She was pissed that I came home empty handed. My background check got delayed ;(. The guys at the counter warned of this because the Extreme gun sales. Hopefully I’ll be able to pick it up this week.

I had to go deep in the safe to pull out a .17hmr golden boy. I won this at a gun raffle. It only has iron sights on it atm. I gave that to her and showed her how to use it. Sat morning I was out in the shop when it sounded like a small war went off in the back yard. Here my wife is running around barefoot and bra less blasting away. She missed but now I got orders to get a scope on that gun also. Lol

Went to the gun shop on Friday. Ended up buying a 10/22 and tossed a 1.75 x 4 scope on it. Should be perfect for the wife. She was pissed that I came home empty handed. My background check got delayed ;(. The guys at the counter warned of this because the Extreme gun sales. Hopefully I’ll be able to pick it up this week.

Man, I was going to grab something for my wife as well, but the line to the store was wrapped around the building. I'm not sure if its them limiting the amount of people inside, or the high demand.

Man, I was going to grab something for my wife as well, but the line to the store was wrapped around the building. I'm not sure if its them limiting the amount of people inside, or the high demand.

The gun store said it’s off the charts for sales. This is a shop in bfe wi. They had 50 guns laying on the floor behind the counter that had the background checks all delayed.

I just bought a G44 for my wife to compliment her G19. For rifles I have a bolt action Savage that I had as a kid (it shoots better than I can) a Savage FFV- ....., 10-22's, S&W 15-22's and a Henry lever action. She likes the lever action the best.

I just bought a G44 for my wife to compliment her G19. For rifles I have a bolt action Savage that I had as a kid (it shoots better than I can) a Savage FFV- ....., 10-22's, S&W 15-22's and a Henry lever action. She likes the lever action the best.

I read terrible reviews on the G22. Did they get that mess sorted out?

edit: Glock in .22LR. The model G44 not G22. Gawd that always fucks me up.

Last edited:
Anybody have a Ruger Single Ten? Like the Six but holds Ten.

it’s on my want list.

it’s on my want list.

Yep the wife has one, great little shooter; I love the high visibility sights and that it holds the same amount of rounds as my Ruger Hunter and Ruger 22/45 Lite. I tend to be more accurate with the Single Ten.

I have a single six and a mk 4 target both are good quick varmint poppers. The single six is really 5 because I keep the hammer down on an empty chamber.

I have a Remington 597. No issues with it other than it doesn't like the 30 round mags I got for it. It's likely the mags.

I'd go 10/22. Everyone has them, huge aftermarket support.

it’s on my want list.

I have a S&W model 617 with a 6" barrel and 10 round capacity that I slapped a red dot on just for fun. It is a heavy gun because 6" barrel with a thick profile and the double action trigger pull is a bit heavy so not sure how good it would be for the ladies. Absolutely no recoil though, which might be a plus. Also a bit expensive for a .22 but it sure is nice.

Picked up the 10/22 today :). I got the synthetic stock as it had the threaded barrel. I’ll maybe get a can for it some day.

4D55555D-EB56-4FAE-BD31-AB2CDA9DF411.jpeg

Shot a bunch and got the scope dialed in. I got 9 of 10 in a 2” dot across the yard. Not too bad for a hollow point bullet lol. I was shooting it pretty fast.

638FE253-97FE-4141-B1A5-178E0B2D4CFE.jpeg

Gave the wife a run down and let her run some rounds through it. Seems to shoot pretty decent.

A lot of people love the 10/22. Looks like a good beater gun.

I'm a sucker for my CZ .22lr. But, I'm also a sucker for a wood stock. For a real beater, I'd buy any older .22lr I could find used. I've had old Marlins that shoot lights out. You can get them on the cheap for $100 or so. If I owned a 10/22 I'd be too tempted to modify it and turn it into a deadly accurate paper killer.

Hard to go wrong with a 10/22. I'm late to the party but if the need for a pistol arises later I'm absolutely in love with my Kel-tec cp33. And that's coming from someone you couldn't have paid to own a Kel-tec before this little guy came out.

And it's insanely quiet suppressed!
IMG_20200218_122301996.jpg

Since you wound up with a 10/22, I am going to strongly recommend 2 mods.

First is the bolt stop pin. Every time you shoot it, the bolt slams the pin, and will eventually oval out the hole in the aluminum receiver. There’s several places that make something. I’ve tried Kidd, volquartsen, and another that looks and feels just like the volquartsen but a different color, they all work the same. Personally I think the Kidd one is the best but it’s a simple part so whatever. If you want to be cheap, get a plastic bolt for a toilet, 1/4 inch I believe but measure yourself and cut to length. This’ll will kinda take that “clack” out of it when the bolt hits the pin, but mainly you are trying to not oval out the aluminum. The plastic bolt is louder than the others but 100% functional.

The other is the bolt release. If you lock the bolt in the rearward position, you have to mess with the bolt release to get it back forward. Mod the bolt release and all you have to do is pull the charging handle back and it releases. Way simpler. Again, several places that make this, I don’t think any one is better than another. I think Kidd or volquartsen make them in 2 colors, where the other only had 1. You can also grab a Dremel and mod it yourself.

Past that, throw a 50-80ish $ red dot on and call it good for now.

Pics are not mine. No idea why it says add a weld.

C6D8B320-9672-4580-8B99-E3E3753FCFCD.jpeg

5A228075-C48F-42E3-B746-A9EB211A4EE3.jpeg

17FD8157-6F9E-475F-8491-BB10B4CD04FD.jpeg

Since you wound up with a 10/22, I am going to strongly recommend 2 mods.

First is the bolt stop pin. Every time you shoot it, the bolt slams the pin, and will eventually oval out the hole in the aluminum receiver. There’s several places that make something. I’ve tried Kidd, volquartsen, and another that looks and feels just like the volquartsen but a different color, they all work the same. Personally I think the Kidd one is the best but it’s a simple part so whatever. If you want to be cheap, get a plastic bolt for a toilet, 1/4 inch I believe but measure yourself and cut to length. This’ll will kinda take that “clack” out of it when the bolt hits the pin, but mainly you are trying to not oval out the aluminum. The plastic bolt is louder than the others but 100% functional.

The other is the bolt release. If you lock the bolt in the rearward position, you have to mess with the bolt release to get it back forward. Mod the bolt release and all you have to do is pull the charging handle back and it releases. Way simpler. Again, several places that make this, I don’t think any one is better than another. I think Kidd or volquartsen make them in 2 colors, where the other only had 1. You can also grab a Dremel and mod it yourself.

Past that, throw a 50-80ish $ red dot on and call it good for now.

Pics are not mine. No idea why it says add a weld.

Will definitely do the mods. That bolt release blows, I had to fiddle fuck way too much to get it to charge.

I got a scope for it but may put a red dot on and try that. It will be used in the back yard for pest control so he range will be 40yds or less.

If that works I’ll move the scope to the .17hmr golden boy. That one has a little more heat to it.

Another vote for a 10/22. I have two of the break-down models. Replaced so many parts with the original one I actually had enough to put the original back together using OEM parts. lol

Not one part on this one is made by Ruger (well.. ok, magazine is). I call it the Un-Ruger 10/22. Magpul X-22 Backpacker stock and QD mounts, Volquartzen trigger, Kidd bolt, buffer bolt and charging handle, Tac-Sol barrel and compensator, and a Holosun C510 optic.
IMG_1147.jpg

OE and custom. OE has an optic on it now, added a picatiny rail to it and a Sig Romeo 4DR optic.

IMG_1040.jpg

Another vote for a 10/22. I have two of the break-down models. Replaced so many parts with the original one I actually had enough to put the original back together using OEM parts. lol

Not one part on this one is made by Ruger (well.. ok, magazine is). I call it the Un-Ruger 10/22. Magpul X-22 Backpacker stock and QD mounts, Volquartzen trigger, Kidd bolt, buffer bolt and charging handle, Tac-Sol barrel and compensator, and a Holosun C510 optic.

OE and custom. OE has an optic on it now, added a picatiny rail to it and a Sig Romeo 4DR optic.

How do you like that red dot? Can you smoke a rabbit or squirrel at 30 yds with it? Any other good red dots to take a look at?

I like it. It's got a 2 MOA dot and a 60 MOA ring (actually both of them do) and you can select what you want to see. I like the Holosun better though, it's FOV is larger. Oh and its the HS510C, not C510.

Copy-of-Aimpoint-Pro-2moa-dot-1.png

What's the feeback on that Thompson TCR22 (churched up 10/22 clone) been like?

s1200_tc22.jpg

Another vote on for the rugers. I ke
20200718_094111.jpg
ep a mark3 in my pickup because I always see rabbits leaving and getting home. I dont want to waste my carry ammo on buggs. There is a 10/22 leaned in the corner by the front door for the same work. You cant beat them for the price and effectiveness.

What's the feeback on that Thompson TCR22 (churched up 10/22 clone) been like?

s1200_tc22.jpg

I got the first version when it came out - - won it as a door prize. I really like it, but never use it. Fit and finish is pretty great, feels great, shoots great. Mag availability was a problem, don't know if it still is.

Top Back Refresh