What's new

Recommend a good battery...

The Freeak

Pro-Crastinator
Member Number
Loc
Pocono Mtns PA
I think we had a thread on auto battery user experiences on that "other" website, so how about we start one here?

I used to swear by Exide's AGM batteries, but currently (ha!) I'm using an older Red Top Optima I bought from some guy for $20. It's 5 years old by the date code and after using some tricks I saw on the worldy widey web, it's been holding a charge in my XJ (it sees nearly daily use)...

What are your experiences?

Interstate. Last 20 years.
The good vatozone ones seem to work well.
I do have a 5 ish + y o optima in the 83 that's still going but it may be a pre china one?

In my business I have found that the only batteries that seem to hold up to my abuse is the batteries right from cat. I destroy them by shaking them to death.

X2 power sold at Batteries plus, made by Northstar, I have two and been very happy with them. 60 month full replacement. but i haven't needed that. going on 4 years now.

No matter what battery you get, put a solar or other type trickle charger on it and it will last a lot longer in my experience. When I bought my Ramcharger in '06, it had a dead Walmart battery in it. It took a charge and with a solar maintainer on it, I didn't have to replace it until the winter of 2015.

I run AcDelco batteries in everything, mostly because I get them at cost but they also have a good warranty that I've never had to use because they've never let me down. If you buy anything but an absolute bargain basement battery, you're pretty set these days IMO.

My last battery was an O'Reilly house brand silver battery. 6 years of Colorado winters, summer, wheeling, winching, complete drains from an electrical draw, and it was still kicking when I sold it for $50 last month with a parts donor car :laughing:

I replaced it with one of the more expensive Walmart batteries. I was happy with them in my old 6.0l.

My new tow rig has a pair of Odyssey Extreme AGM in it but I haven't had them long enough to comment.

I forgot about those, they are supposed to be very good. I remember lots of bickering on another forum about whether you needed to boost your charging system to push 14.4-14.8 volts and keep the Northstar AGM sufficiently charged.

I'm running one in a 3rd gen 4Runner Stock alt. with no issue, and one in a 1st gen with the GM conversion, The 3rd gen is my daily and I've had no issue, in the first gen it may sit disconnected for months and start and take a charge when connected. Both are about 4 years old and have been flawless. but yes I read the debate about chargers and charging systems. so far no issues.

they were expensive, but have been worth it.

Batteries Plus rebrands them as "X2" and adds a year to the full replacement. and sells them slightly cheaper if you use an online discount.
Still more than I ever thought I would pay for a battery.

I run battery usa batterys in the f250 and west marine batterys in my boat and bronco. both made by i belive east penn, they also make napa batterys

Last edited:
In my business I have found that the only batteries that seem to hold up to my abuse is the batteries right from cat. I destroy them by shaking them to death.

Shaking them to death in what? If it's in a crushing plant why couldn't you isolate the batteries by literally not having them on the machine?

I use to know the owner of Odessey batteries. He said his batteries and Optima were the best. He gave me reasons comparing them about even. After awhile, Optima sold out to the Mexicans and he told me that Odessey was far superior. Then he sold out to the Mexicans. Lol. The last time I talked to him, he said "buy Northstar". (He had nothing to do with them.) I've bought one Northstar since and it's been good, but it's only been a few years.

I have a couple Mexican Optimas and they seem pretty good. The one in my DD is a 2012 and it still works. But I'm not in the cold country.

Batteries Plus rebrands them as "X2" and adds a year to the full replacement. and sells them slightly cheaper if you use an online discount.
Still more than I ever thought I would pay for a battery.

My rigs have either the Northstar or X2 batteries. No issues and I recommend them as well. Batteries+ has a store here so I try and support them.

Odyssey or Northstar.

If that's a touch too rich for your blood ..... how about the DEKA Intimidator? At least it's semi-local to you.

I think we had a thread on auto battery user experiences on that "other" website, so how about we start one here?

I used to swear by Exide's AGM batteries, but currently (ha!) I'm using an older Red Top Optima I bought from some guy for $20. It's 5 years old by the date code and after using some tricks I saw on the worldy widey web, it's been holding a charge in my XJ (it sees nearly daily use)...

What are your experiences?

do tell. i have 3 sitting here i cant get to take a charge:mad3:

Napa batteries are still made in the USA by east penn. I believe advance autos agm batteries are too. Looking at the advance battery and the Napa agm, the cases look almost identical

the duracell line is also made in the usa by east penn.

I have one in the kraut wagon.
plus sam's club warranty.

Pretty sure Interstate was the most widely recommended battery from that discussion....because I went out shortly after and replaced most of my batteries on my vehicles with interstates. They were all about the same age and went out about the same time. The old batteries were rebranded yellow tops that were roughly ten years old.

Did I already say, dont remember so if I did you get my opinion again, no charge 2nd time.

Yes I know the mfg has changed dont know if they are worse but I run Optima yeller tops in most of my trucks, and Jeep, wifes car etc.

Have a grey deep cycle in my hyd pump setup on well rig dont remember the brand but it was real expensive and major capacity amp hrs and reserve.

There ya go no charge for 2nd opinion.

do tell. i have 3 sitting here i cant get to take a charge:mad3:

Do you have a "Smart" charger?
If so, hook up the bad battery to a good battery in PARALLEL, and then hook up the charger and let it run. That's how I returned my bad battery to good.

I did some legwork on Wal-Mart batteries

they have 3 tiers of flooded, and then an agm

I specifically looked at group 65

the "korean" or any " 'Stan. " battery is junk, it may or may not have the red/green electrolyte eye

the "made in Mexico " batteries, group 65, are identical weight, identical case markings, are stamped 650 700cca depending on "grade"

Using the midtronics super duper computer analyzer, all three of these batteries put out 880-900cca. Consistently. These batteries also have "jcha" in the serial number. I've tested maybe a dozen of these batteries, bought 5 myself, and am confident that this is a top shelf Johnson Controls battery being sold with 3 different warranties for 3 different prices.

$55, 75, 94

Now, if you get mathy about it, and keep the vehicle for three long haul, and warranty the $94 battery at the end of its free replacement period, you will get the most months per dollar.

But, if you need your 7.3 to start now, and don't want to play warranty games, you can get the same battery for $55

*I verified that the $55 korean battery, on the same shelf, with the same sticker, barely made rated capacity

Next up the "platinum " "gel " battery, in group 24, also appears to be the top shelf Johnson controls that is sold under a hundred different labels. I didn't crawl as far down that rabbit hole, just enough to satisfy my curiosity and get one for my DD so i don't worry about corroded cables. I got spoiled with the AGMs in my tow rig

*attached is a picture of the readout on a $55 group 65

photo17165.jpg

2013 I bought a made in Mexico yellowtop at vatozone.
It shit the bed, replaced under warranty with 2015 yellowtop.
It shit the bed, replaced with 2018 yellowtop under warranty.
Today 2018 yellowtop shit the bed.
Autozone would not replace replacement, policy. $309 before tax. nope.

Today, Oreilly's "Optima no longer made in Mexico."
New Yellowtop out the door, $260 with a Military discount.

I need an agm cause I tend to flopalot.

https://www.greencarcongress.com/201...2-clarios.html
Johnson Controls Power Solutions relaunches as Clarios

02 May 2019

Clarios, formerly Johnson Controls Power Solutions, launches as a new entity and world leader in advanced energy storage solutions. Clarios was acquired by Brookfield Business Partners and operates as a global energy storage business generating $8 billion in revenues with more than 16,000 employees, 56 facilities worldwide and 130 years of expertise.

Clarios’ product portfolio includes absorbent glass mat batteries (AGM); low-voltage Li-ion batteries; enhanced flooded batteries; and standard lead-acid batteries. Its brands include Varta, Optima, LTH, Heliar, Delkor and Baterías Mac.

Clarios will build on its leading position in vehicle battery technologies—producing one-third of the automotive industry’s total output per year—while more aggressively exploring ways to meet the fast-growing energy storage needs of tomorrow.
As a global leader with a product used in virtually every vehicle from conventional to fully electric, we are well positioned to capitalize on market trends, including a move toward more electrified and autonomous vehicles which are elevating the critical role of the battery and accelerating the need for more advanced batteries. Under Brookfield’s ownership, we can better capitalize on these growing trends and operate with more focus and efficiency.

—Joe Walicki, president, Clarios

Clarios will build on decades of leadership in the circular economy where it designs, builds, recovers and recycles batteries to help create a more efficient and sustainable approach to energy storage. Clarios batteries are designed and made so up to 99% of the materials can be recovered and reused in the new batteries it makes. Through innovative collaboration with the company’s customers and partners, Clarios has pioneered a closed-loop collection system that is a model for the circular economy that it continues to share across the globe.

The company will maintain its current global manufacturing and operations footprint, including its corporate headquarters in Glendale, Wisconsin.

Posted on 02 May 2019 in Batteries | Permalink | Comments (1)

Comments

12-50si.gif

Good news for future recyclable storage batteries for future electrified vehicles.
Johnson Controls Power Solutions relaunches as Clarios

02 May 2019

Last edited:
2013 I bought a made in Mexico yellowtop at vatozone.
It shit the bed, replaced under warranty with 2015 yellowtop.
It shit the bed, replaced with 2018 yellowtop under warranty.
Today 2018 yellowtop shit the bed.
Autozone would not replace replacement, policy. $309 before tax. nope.

Today, Oreilly's "Optima no longer made in Mexico."
New Yellowtop out the door, $260 with a Military discount.

I need an agm cause I tend to flopalot.

Surprised you were willing to trust Optima just because "it's no longer made in Mexico."

Esp that they changed hands to what appears to be a holding company. <shrug> Best of luck. I'll continue staying away and not recommending them for the time being.

Surprised you were willing to trust Optima just because "it's no longer made in Mexico."
Esp that they changed hands to what appears to be a holding company. <shrug> Best of luck. I'll continue staying away and not recommending them for the time being.

Please recommend a 12 volt battery that will run a winch, 2 small amps, vhf, 6 rock lights, and not leak acid on me when I do something dumb, less than $300 bucks and I need to be able to replace it in all the tiny podunk towns I travel through.
Thanks.

The less than 300 is the hard part. But you can check out Odyssey & Northstar. And I don't know Deka's full line up ... but they offer a similar battery too. The Intimidator is their AGM battery ... but I believe they have a few others in the industrial line up (could be wrong). Doubt they have the size variety that O & N have ... as Deka manufactures traditional batteries still.

If you're spending the extra money to get an even better battery the first time .... I would like to think you're not going to need replacements as you drive thru South Two Toe or East Bumblefuck.

Swapped over to Autozone AGM a few years back. No failures on 4 different trucks and 2 trailer batteries.

Top Back Refresh