What's new

RECALL HF 3-6 ton jack stands

Stingray

Toyota Junkie
CAL4
Member Number
Loc
So. Cal.
published on 03/31/2020Harbor Freight recalls Pittsburgh Automotive 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands

The jack stands may fail

james-limbach_head_shot_micro.png

James LimbachReporter

Pittsburgh_Automotive_6_Ton_Heavy_Duty_Steel_Jack_Stand_Harbor_Freight_medium.jpg
Photo source: Harbor FreightHarbor Freight Tools is recalling 454,000 Pittsburgh Automotive 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands, part number 61197.

The ratchet teeth on the jack stands may not sufficiently engage the pawl to a sufficient depth, possibly causing the stand to fail under load.

If the stand fails, it can suddenly drop, increasing the risk of injury to anyone nearby or under the lifted vehicle.
What to do

Harbor Freight will notify owners, and dealers will provide a gift card equal to the shelf price of the jack stands free of charge.

The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Harbor Freight customer service at (800) 444-3353.

Good thing I don't have Harbor Freight jackstands. But what about my made in china looks just like them jackstands? :eek:

yeah, no doubt. I have 3 different varieties of small jackstands from different vendors. All seem to be Chinesium.

Good thing I don't have Harbor Freight jackstands. But what about my made in china looks just like them jackstands? :eek:

This. Pretty sure 95% of them are all the same regardless of where you bought them... I have a set of 4 blue and yellow ones from a Cummins tool sale (traveling tool sale) that I've been using for ever now. I guarantee they're the same design too.

YotaAtieToo i bought some 12 tons strictly for the height for my front axle swap. I can actually get full droop with them. Now I need a Jack that goes higher so I can stop stacking 2x4s high enough to lift it OFF the Jack stands.

I did notice the new 6 ton ones have the same pin safety thing the 12 tons have. Must be because they failed so many times.

Harbor freight is selling new jackstands under the Daytona brand.

The 12 tons are $150.

My bigger ones that I got from Sams club years ago have the same little feet welded on the legs. I still put plywood under them if using them on dirt. Orbviously haven't killed me yet.

YotaAtieToo i bought some 12 tons strictly for the height for my front axle swap. I can actually get full droop with them. Now I need a Jack that goes higher so I can stop stacking 2x4s high enough to lift it OFF the Jack stands.

I did notice the new 6 ton ones have the same pin safety thing the 12 tons have. Must be because they failed so many times.

Pull the pad of your floor jack and build a taller one.

Some jacks are a clear pass through. Great for trailer balls too.

Some have the pivot shank go through the middle of the hole, dumb as shit.

Let's get some pics of our junk sitting on recalled jackstands going! I'll start.
I got 5 these days. Beat that suckers!:flipoff2:

Attachments

• 16631385944978929703986801334020.jpg
    16631385944978929703986801334020.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 16631386398032905510876381499993.jpg
    16631386398032905510876381499993.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
Harbor freight just released the new 12 ton Jack Stands with similar features to the 3 and 6 tons. Essentially you return your older 12 ton stands for a 1 for 1 swap for the new 12 tons.

1663169546623.png

I've got a ching chong floor jack from either Sams or Pace which was before Costco and it came with 2 saddles, one had a 6" riser under it. I don't even know where it is now because I never use it and I always have small blocks of wood laying around.:homer::laughing:

Since this thread has derailed.....

What did you use to build this? My jack has just a drop in plug holding the top piece on. No threads or pins.
Scrap impact socket for the spud sticking down into the jack, scrap of 2x2 square tube, 2 round scraps of 3/16", and 4 strips of 3/16".

1663180085900.png

Is that a pin on, or bolt on saddle?

Aaron Z

It's just like a big-ass Lego, and I can't guarantee it won't kill me or the proverbial busload of nuns.

It was an "I need this now, and need to make it all out of scraps" project :laughing:

Top Back Refresh