What's new

Rebuilding Yanmar 4cyl Diesel yay or nay?

Projectjunkie

Whatever
Member Number
Loc
Tucson Az
Found a decent looking machine, going to look at hopefully today, it builds high crankcase pressure and knocks to some degree

It's cheap enough, that it would be worth spending 2k to rebuild the engine

machine has 2500 hours, I assume the engine was neglected, seller says he had to replace injectors when he got it, he thinks previous owner was using ether, probably too much

anyways, rebuild kit with liners is $700, I should be able to get crank turned for $200-250

am i in for any surprises here? Expensive absolutely necessary tooling?

the end goal is to have a better machine for less money than going and buying another used one, so I'm not looking for the cheapest sandpaper rebuild, but not $6500 crate engine either

Found a decent looking machine, going to look at hopefully today, it builds high crankcase pressure and knocks to some degree

It's cheap enough, that it would be worth spending 2k to rebuild the engine

machine has 2500 hours, I assume the engine was neglected, seller says he had to replace injectors when he got it, he thinks previous owner was using ether, probably too much

anyways, rebuild kit with liners is $700, I should be able to get crank turned for $200-250

am i in for any surprises here? Expensive absolutely necessary tooling?

the end goal is to have a better machine for less money than going and buying another used one, so I'm not looking for the cheapest sandpaper rebuild, but not $6500 crate engine either

Should be generic mechanical diesel rebuild. See if you can find a shop manual.

I have a Yanmar 4LH in my boat. I found a manual online that is impressive to say the least. Its probably complete enough to teach a diesel engine class. Anyways, I love mine. I wouldn't hesitate to rebuild if I had to. I wouldn’t say that about some of the JD diesels I have worked on.

what sort of power and RPM are you needing? A Kubota 2.2 4cyl (mine is model V2203) can be had for less than 2k. They seem to run forever. RPM is 3000 Max.

2500 hours seems pretty fucking low for a rebuild. something is wrong.

Last edited:
Well, this engine is rated 47-49hp, and seems to run well enough that I'll probably just fix it. If the rebuild doesn't hold up, I'd certainly consider a repower.

2 big, here's a night shot, she's missing the bucket too, hoping the machine is enough of a project to scare everybody else away.

I need a summer project that'll fit in my garage Click image for larger version  Name:	20200614_210535.jpg Views:	0 Size:	219.4 KB ID:	39950

Last edited:
id jump on it. i did a in frame on my isuzu in my tl140 not to bad of a job. get the liner installer if it calls out for one.

Yanmar makes the smaller John Deere tractors, they are generally pretty good engines. It should not be too hard to get parts, but you might have to find a diesel shop that deals in ag and generators.

Top Back Refresh