What's new

Rear leaf spring replacement

DynamicBrad

Member Number
Loc
Santa Cruz, CA
My 2001 tacoma is in need of rear leaf springs. Put new fox 2.0 shocks on the truck and while doing the rear, I realized the rear is arced backwards and don’t have much uptravel. Just doing the shocks in the front brought up the front quite a bit and now have the bro runner lean going on. I know the front will settle but its currently 1.75” higher.

My question is, what aftermarket leaf springs are out there?

Don’t really want any lift and want to keep the stock mounting points but would be interested in a softer ride and more travel if thats a thing. May be asking for too much and the reality is that this is a DD but I do take it down some dirt roads and sand a few times a year. If I can improve ride quality, why not?
the truck is a 2001 4 door prerunner with the 3rz and 2wd.
fox 2.0 shocks and spc upper control arms.

I’ll keep doing research and will probably find something but figured a post here wouldn’t hurt… if I’m an idiot and missed a post about this topic already, send me in that direction and I’ll delete this haha.

Thanks

My .02
Pick one...
Softer ride, more travel, it may be a tough ask here to get both..

Questions
Street brawler or mild dd/trail rig?
Prerunner is the 4x4 street clone, yes?
How/why are the springs sagged, constant load ( work rig) playing stupid games old age @ 11 years seems less likley to me buuuut.

Post some pictures of what's going on. Rear leafs are tough because there are so many factors like how much weight you typically carry out there, what do you do with the truck offroad wise etc....

DD and taking it down some dirt roads and on some sand is a broad term with a wide range of definitions LOL!!

deaver f67s, 9” shackle under the frame or if you want all the performance 12” on top of the frame with heltons magic number. 33x10.5s and a bolt in front coilover. bought the springs used so they were more along the lines of an f55.

4ABBDB80-EFE1-4475-841D-1894D776CAB7.jpeg

there is nothing that uses the factory mounts that is worth the hassle/money

Last edited:
Ome is the best answer for mild lift with as good, or likely better ride than stock.

hanger mount/shackle elevation on tacomas is garbage hence the inverted spring from the factory. all spring over options suck as a result because they have to make them stiff to compensate for the lack of free arch.

hanger mount/shackle elevation on tacomas is garbage hence the inverted spring from the factory. all spring over options suck as a result because they have to make them stiff to compensate for the lack of free arch.

You, I and most on here have no problems cutting everything off, frenching hangers, spua, ect. To gain whatever we can.

My point is that if you want bolt on, ome is almost always the best bet.

deaver f67s, 9” shackle under the frame or if you want all the performance 12” on top of the frame with heltons magic number. 33x10.5s and a bolt in front coilover. bought the springs used so they were more along the lines of an f55.

The what?

Hey everyone thanks for the reply. Somehow missed this so, apologize for the delay. I wilol take pictures if the springs this afternoon once i get it back from an alignment shop (just installed SPC and new tie rods)

the leaf springs are arced backwards now. In reality its a daily. I live in the mountains and it gets used for driving to work. Almost never a load on it and if it does make it to the dirt its just mild playing around. Actually own and am building a designamed off-road rig (01 4runner) and have a duramax for heavy hauling and the tow rig.

Clb about it being a prerunner, yes It’s a 2wd but the 6 lug. The spindles are eve the same as the 4x4. Just as a plate in place of where the CV would go. The truck has seen a few dirt bikes and a few loads of dirt before i had the truck.

I’ll check out the OME springs. How much lift do the give?

Maybe theyer fine and I’m over reacting but arcing backwards seems wrong to me. I’ll have to crawl under and compare some other trucks, I guess.

thats how they rolled off the assembly line
Interesting. This truck has been around for 6 years. I guess I’ve never paid that close attention. Ha. Just drove it.
So now i ask, do I waste my time trying to get leafs with a 1.5 lift or just get blocks to fix the cali lean?

another question. If I do end up lifting the rear, how will that affect my front alignment that i just got? Wounding that affect caster angle? Or is the caster angled compared to frame. If I just opened a whole new can of worms, my bad ha.

Interesting. This truck has been around for 6 years. I guess I’ve never paid that close attention. Ha. Just drove it.
So now i ask, do I waste my time trying to get leafs with a 1.5 lift or just get blocks to fix the cali lean?

another question. If I do end up lifting the rear, how will that affect my front alignment that i just got? Wounding that affect caster angle? Or is the caster angled compared to frame. If I just opened a whole new can of worms, my bad ha.

thats up to you, i like spending money so id be going spring under with deavers and a bunch of total chaos bits.

thats up to you, i like spending money so id be going spring under with deavers and a bunch of total chaos bits.
oooh thats always fun. I plan to build out my 4runner so the big money goes towards that. Hmm I’m in a pickle now. Guess ill just keep researching.

Looks like you might just need some short leafs to get the stack height you are looking for, adding top ones will stiffen the ride on a normal spring, or (gasp) use a lift block.. I'll defer to the new tech guys on the inverted shit

The what?

Link to some reading material on this? Getting ready to red do the entire back half of my Tacoma.

basically the frame has more of a kick on the rear of a tacoma than a minitruck so the spring cant have much arch. getting a decent ride in mini or tacoma can not be achieve with the stock spring and shackle hanger locations.

Top Back Refresh