What's new

Rear FF14 Bolt Pinion Offset For Equal Length Axle Shafts?

Sean

Member Number
I lucked out when I found my rear Dana 60 with the big spindles capable of taking 1.5" 35 spline shafts and it just happened to have (IIRC) 1.5" pinion offset to the passenger side which gave me equal length shafts. It's nice to only have to carry one spare. On 14B FF rears, is there a pinion offset that gives you equal length axle shafts? I searched this site but came up empty handed. Google showed some results on other offroad forums....but it was all people asking the same question and being told to just build it with the pinion centered and then do custom shafts (usually in 40 spline) and not worry about it.

Anyone know what pinion offset would give you equal length rear shafts on a 10.5" 14B?

Math will splain it.

Have a 3/4 T 14 bolt and will get the axle lengths you should be able to figure it out from that info.

Math will splain it.

Have a 3/4 T 14 bolt and will get the axle lengths you should be able to figure it out from that info.
I have 2 14Bs but I don't have easy access to either to tear them apart...otherwise, I'd just pull the shafts. I was hoping the hive mind might 'know' without anyone having to do any additional work. Please don't go to ANY trouble to get the lengths if it requires any more than taking a tape measure to them (i.e., actually pulling the shafts).

Its in the bible

Screenshot_20240703-033658_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240703-033909_Chrome.jpg

And fwiw, you didnt say which version of the 24b you have, theres about 8-10 full run. This info is for early style, 73 till disc brake.

But basicaly runs down to 6" length difference.

Last edited:
99+ SRW have a 5.5in in difference.
38.5in long, 33in short side

I have a 2007 with the fins that's 70" WMS to WMS and an older smooth one that's a 67" wide. So the newer one is 5.5" and the older one should be 6". Odd that the dimensions changed...you'd think the carriers would be the same though I know the master install kits for the newer 14Bs are different too....so may be some bearing changes as well.

I figured it had something to do with the newer g80 gov-lock.

Just measured my '07 Chevy 2500 HD SRW 14B. Pinion offset appears to be ~1.25" to the passenger side from the center of the housing. If the shafts in the newer 14Bs are 5.5" longer on the long side, and the driver side is 38.5" and the passenger is 33"....then to get equal length shafts, the pinion would have be offset from the center to the driver side 1.5".

* At least that's what I think the math says. *

Top Back Refresh