What's new

Rear duals touching?

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
On another forum I am on a member posted pics of his brand new Ram dually with 37x12.50x20. Says he has custom offset rims and it's no problem but in the pic it looks like the sidewalls are touching unloaded. He's also running SRW front wheels since he said he doesn't like the dually front wheel look. uh what? :confused:

I was always told and it made sense that you need an air gap between duals to allow for tire flex when loaded so the sidewalls down touch and generate heat? What say the mighty IBB? I have seen brodozers locally that have the duals touching but I always figured it was NBD since they were driving a 6 wheeled grocery getter.

Yeahhhh, I'm sure that tires rubbing on each other isn't a big deal...

:stirthepot:

Personally I like to standardize when it comes to tire size from square body Chevys to my more modern 07 chevy Silverados, the common size for the CUCV'S I own are 235/85/16 I run that size on my 07 chevy Silverado classics as well but use a small 1/4" spacer between the duals on those.

The key is as long as the lug nuts have a specific number of turns before they bottom out.

That was my question. for people that will actually use it as a truck the duals touching is a no go. Brodozers can get away with it

I spent $500 on my last dually to get steel spacers to keep my duals apart when I went to 35s. Why did I go to 35s? Because I was tired of getting stuck in the sand with my toy hauler. Yeah, you can air down but airing down 6 tires after hours of driving can suck it. :flipoff2:

Does it have a welder in/on the bed? I feel like it has a welder on the bed.

All of the brodozer dually welding rigs run some sort of spacers or custom off set rims on the trucks I’ve seen. At least their tires aren’t touching.

DOT says no, not at all ever.
On a light truck tire I can't imagine the sidewall will handle the scuffing and heat for too long
DOT is full of the kind of assholes who'd be running around a sinking ship writing up people for ditching their PPE before they jump in the water.

Everything they say tends to have some finer points that get ignored in the name of making the rules simple enough that pigs with a kindergarten reading level can enforce them on steering wheel holders who don't read the language the rules are in.

That said, I completely agree that a road speed tire is not gonna tolerate rubbing. Ag/industrial tires with a molded on sidewall guard would probably take it just fine though.

No duals touching if you actually have weight in the bed. Brodozers it probably doesn't matter.

I spent $500 on my last dually to get steel spacers to keep my duals apart when I went to 35s. Why did I go to 35s? Because I was tired of getting stuck in the sand with my toy hauler. Yeah, you can air down but airing down 6 tires after hours of driving can suck it. :flipoff2:

:flipoff2:

The duals on my motorhome are only 1/8' apart, so I know they have to touch while going down the road.
10k miles on it so far, no issue.

There is a reason tires are derated for weight in a dually application :shaking:
Ok dumb question time, why do they get derated in dually application? Is it to provide some safety cushion if you lose one tire of a dual setup and have to run on the other to get to a safe spot to stop? Does it have anything to do with the two getting treated and scrubbed like one really wide tire when not going straight?

I'm genuinely have no idea and have always wondered.

I look at duals touching the same as boobs touching each other, it doesnt matter that much unless carrying a load.

Ok dumb question time, why do they get derated in dually application? Is it to provide some safety cushion if you lose one tire of a dual setup and have to run on the other to get to a safe spot to stop? Does it have anything to do with the two getting treated and scrubbed like one really wide tire when not going straight?

I would guess (in no particular order):
1. Differences in tire diameter causing one tire to carry more load (one having a little more wear or different tire pressures)
2. Differences in road surface height (ie: dropping one wheel into a pothole or pulling up onto a sloped curb)
3. Rubbing between the two tires, less space for the tire to "bulge" out before it starts rubbing
4. Scrubbing when turning sharply
5. The likelihood that it will be overloaded

Aaron Z

Basically heat....does not get the airflow and will heat up much higher...heat cannot dissipate due to tires running next to each other....having them touch if there loaded just makes it that much worse

The answer for at least 3500 series trucks is a wheel with more offset ?

I've done a short study with 3500 series auction trucks and most chevys seem to be a 215/85/16 for the 2001-2007 or so.

Put stock tires back on my 2000 c3500. Damn things rubbed. I'm at #10,500 ride weight. I wore them tires out. rotated them when I thought about it. Tread started getting down I put tires back size that was on it when I bought it

Top Back Refresh