What's new

Rear Dana 60 vs Dana 80 for towing

Member Number
Loc
ATX
Hello all. Here is my hauler project. It's a 49 Chevy 3800 body sitting on a 2001ish Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 chassis. It has a 5.9 gasser, built 46re, NP241 HD and Dana 60's front and rear. The truck has 4.10 gear and a LSD in the rear. It's sitting on 235/85r16 tires. The most I'm planning on pulling with it right now is my 4000lb turbo C10 race truck + 2000lb car hauler. But I'd like to have as much capability as I can.

The Dana 60 has a problem with the crush sleve or pinion spacers. I haven't torn into it much. I'm about 99% sure it's going to need new gears and a rebuild. Here's a video of what it does. https://youtu.be/K6R7YM-ySfI

I have a line on a free 2nd gen Ram Dana 80, but it would need gears, a LSD/locker and driveshaft mods to get me back to where I am with the 60. Is the Dana 80 worth the parts and time cost for this combo? Or will I be severely limited by the engine/chassis before the Dana 60 becomes the weak point?

IMG_20200628_153324.jpg

IMG_20200628_153324.jpg

Between pick and pull yards, FB marketplace, and CL around here rear axles are really worth about a dime a dozen. Id just look for another axle. I have a few disc brake 8 lug FF rears that I can't give away.

A Dana 60 is plenty for what you are talking about doing. A Dana 80 is just unnecessary weight. As ChiScouter mentioned though, one ton rear ends go for <$200 all day around here and 4.10 is a very common factory ratio, so you could very easily swap another axle in for the same price or less than putting gears in the Dana 60.

If you’re building a tow rig, and the axles free, no reason not to build the 80. A 60 with problems is scrap, an 80 needing a rebuild is the way to go.

go down to wrench-a-part or any other JY and pick up a FF disc rear with 4.10s for <$200.

I have 6 14B's here, with disk brakes and 4.10s, good LSD's. Can't sell them for 200 each.

I'd get a good axle

Dont guy you know either will work fine but with the D80 you get twenty more Danas.

Last edited:
Dana 80 is just like the 14b. "install and forget it" axle. Dodge's D60 & D70 suck, at least on 94-02 2nd gen Rams.

Unbolt & scrap the D60. swap that D80 in and move on & focus on racing lol

Get rear drive shaft from same truck if possible, or look for a 2nd gen 2500 (V-10 or diesel with manual trans) or 3500 (all came with D80, regardless of engine or transmission configurations) with D80 rear axle at least and swap out the rear portion of 2-piece drive shaft.

The 46RE is already the weak point...

Hopefully mine is less so. It's got an upgraded low/reverse servo, oversize accumulator/piston, an upgraded band strut, full fairbanks shift kit and a fresh rebuild. If it gives me any trouble I'll pull it down and build it again with 47/48RE parts. I originally built it for my ZJ to replace a 44RE so at the time I didn't feel the need to increase clutch pack count.

Honestly this 46RE shifts better than the Th400 that's in my turbo c10. I guess we'll see how it holds up.

The consensus seems to be start looking for a good price on a used Dana 80. I've got time. the truck doesn't make any noise and drives fine despite the play in the axle. I'm going to finish my project and watch for a good deal on a 1-ton axle and swap it in when the time is right.

The consensus seems to be start looking for a good price on a used Dana 80. I've got time. the truck doesn't make any noise and drives fine despite the play in the axle. I'm going to finish my project and watch for a good deal on a 1-ton axle and swap it in when the time is right.

If you're going with a bolt in 80, at least grab a 01.5-02 with disc. Every diesel ricer wants one and they demand a premium, along with all the parts more expensive.

Just buy a newer 14B or AAM.

If you're going with a bolt in 80, at least grab a 01.5-02 with disc. Every diesel ricer wants one and they demand a premium, along with all the parts more expensive.

Just buy a newer 14B or AAM.

Got it. I'm sure I can find a 14BFF or AAM easier. I don't know why I was thinking it had to be a Dodge Dana 80.

Top Back Refresh