What's new

Rear Bench Headrest

HYDRODYNAMIC

Rock Stacker
Member Number
Loc
Lost in the forest
I am going to run a 44" wide rear bench, planning on the classic PRP bench. I want to set it up to fit either 2 adults or 3 kids.
Edit: PRP said they the shortest they set up 3 cutouts or headrests is 47 which is not possible.
I do not want 2 or 3 headrests and I don't think I will be able to install the bench if it has a headrest due to opening size. So the bench would have no headrests. I want either multiple headrests than I can attach to the cage or one extra wide one that I can attach. I have seen the old school round cushion headrests that some used on Werock buggies, but has anyone see an extra long one or daisy chained ones?
Edit: PRP also said they are not doing any custom work and they are 7 weeks out on normal orders. So no headrest from them.

Last edited:
1 wide one would be pretty cool, if PRP won't make you what you need, grab a piece of decent 1/2" plywood, add about 3" of medium or firm foam, wrap it with something tight and staple it down

I am fairly confident I can make a headrest with foam and Cordura covering with some sort of crash safe frame/backing.
The problem now would be taking off the cover and making two extra slots for the seatbelts as PRP will only do a 2 setup. Wasn't going to add the submarine straps or cutouts either way.
Anyone have pictures of a 3 seater?

Why not do head rest pads on the cage?

Why not do head rest pads on the cage?
That is what I am planning on doing. Remote mounted head rest but super super wide.

I had concerns whether 3 kids could fit in a 44" bench. Looks like RZR and CanAms fit 3 kids with no problem. I don't know how wide those benches are tough? Once the boys are bigger and my wife has had enough, she will get the boot and the biggest will move to the front and it will 2 on the rear bench.

I am fairly confident I can make a headrest with foam and Cordura covering with some sort of crash safe frame/backing.
The problem now would be taking off the cover and making two extra slots for the seatbelts as PRP will only do a 2 setup. Wasn't going to add the submarine straps or cutouts either way.

do the sub belts, they will keep them from bouncing around and the harnesses riding up. in the event of a rollover it will keep them from sliding and smashing their heads on stuff.

wife and i have matching scars from a high speed dismount when were dating, if we had sub belts im convinenced we wouldnt have smash our heads on the roof. i have them just ran out of time to install them.

do the sub belts, they will keep them from bouncing around and the harnesses riding up. in the event of a rollover it will keep them from sliding and smashing their heads on stuff.

^^This^^

Sub belt holds the lap belts in place which is what keeps the shoulder harnesses tight.

Another reason for using sub belts is that 99.9% of people don't ever strap themselves in as tight as they should be.

why would you need to make slots in the headrest :confused:

bench seat, some fabric loops to hold the shoulder belts generally in place when not tight, maybe a 3" gap, then the headrest pad thingamadoo.

are you just meaning adding the slots to the bench to make the seat 3 wide?

why would you need to make slots in the headrest :confused:

bench seat, some fabric loops to hold the shoulder belts generally in place when not tight, maybe a 3" gap, then the headrest pad thingamadoo.

are you just meaning adding the slots to the bench to make the seat 3 wide?
Adding slots to just the bottom of the seat.

wife and i have matching scars from a high speed dismount when were dating, if we had sub belts im convinenced we wouldnt have smash our heads on the roof. i have them just ran out of time to install them.

^^This^^

Sub belt holds the lap belts in place which is what keeps the shoulder harnesses tight.

Another reason for using sub belts is that 99.9% of people don't ever strap themselves in as tight as they should be.
I've always ran them so didn't notice what it would feel like without them but that make sense keeping you down and shoulder belts tight.
By the name submarine, I figured it was just for slipping out from under the belts, which would be really hard to do unless the belts were super loose.
I never liked the submarines tight though. I always wanted the hip belts tight enough to keep the shoulder belts tight.

Top Back Refresh