What's new

Rear axle unit bearing cups and brakes

Lil'John

Former #278
Member Number
Loc
Walking to the Rubicon
I started this thread to talk about using 2005+ Ford front unit bearings on a rear axle. I'm hoping to get a list of who makes unit bearing cups, shafts(35 and 40), drive slugs, and what brakes are available. And with luck, who makes cups that are compatible with an axle mounted e-brake.

In a quick Duck search for cups, I found two companies carrying cups:
https://www.weaverfabrication.com/product/2005-unit-bearing-cups/
https://craneaxle.com/default/rear-unit-bearing-cups-adapter-pair.html

Who else makes the a unit bearing cups? Who is the best? Who shouldn't be used?

Brakes:
Weaver seems to pawn off brake solution to Ruffstuff in an old vendor thread on the other board. Not a knock on Weaver. Just a statement.

Crane offers a nice lightweight brake solution but didn't have integrated e-brake solution.

Has anyone done an axle integrated e-brake solution? I know there are tcase mounted and line locks but I have no interest in either so lets not degrade this thread that route.

Axle shafts:
It looks like one goes and does a double ended axle shaft.

Drive flanges:
Who is good and who is bad here? Or is it a simple matter of a drive flange is a drive flange and picking the best price/logo?

I have never seen any drive flange break. I know a lot of people do make some, Branik, BKOR, Mark Williams, TMR, etc...

Mark Williams probably make the best unit bearing cups out there. They even integrate a seal in them.

https://www.markwilliams.com/50290.html

I know S&S also makes some but I don't have any link.

As for brakes, Mark Williams also makes a nice lightweight set that is $$$.

https://www.markwilliams.com/off-road-brakes.html

BKOR has their own version of the lightweight ones that look just like everyone elses :

https://bustedknuckleoffroad.com/col...ight-brake-kit

And they make one that uses cast iron rotors (heavier but cheaper):

https://bustedknuckleoffroad.com/pro...sdbrakepackage

I've built a few rear axles using these kits but never had to install some with e-brake calipers.

For axle shafts, RCV will make what you want, but I'd argue that Mark Williams makes the nicest ones out there and the turn around time is much better:

https://www.markwilliams.com/40-spli...ter-axles.html

Last edited:
Thanks Bebop! Here is a little more detail on the Mark Williams floater shafts if you went the route of MW UB cups or should work with any other cups you use as long as you're using a '05+ UB. Here's the UB specific floater shafts: https://www.markwilliams.com/50265.html

502xx.600.jpg

502x5.600.jpg

You can hit up redneckengineered or myself. We worked directly with MW to develop these parts.

i was going to go this route and i already have some nice double 35 spline but im going rear steer for my new car. if anyone needs some shafts i can make them a killer deal on them.

I thought I'd bring this up from the grave.

It seems like most places that offer cups and brake brackets rely upon the unit bearing bolts/studs to secure the brake caliper bracket.

Crane is the exception to this.

Is there any concern over putting additional torque on the unit bearing bolts/studs?

Most dana spindled axles didnt seem to mind the load being shared by the brakes and spindle.

Most d44 are 3/8"
But isn't that usually five or six studs supporting the bracket? Dodge and Chevy d60 are six studs.

The brake brackets for unit bearings I've seen only use two of the bolts\studs.

I'm probably over thinking it and being overly cautious.

Gm/jeep/dodge/ih are 6
Ford are 5 or 6 depending year and specific vehicle. 5 are 7/16"

Ford d60s (kp and bj) are 5 1/2"

This is the 35-spline front unit bearing used in all Currie JK/JL/JT 1-ton frontend applications. This unit bearing features a Jeep compatible tone ring to maintain ABS and ESP functionality. NOTE: this bearing is based on a modified 1999-2006 F-350/F-450 Ford truck unit bearing.

currie has brake tabs on their cups and based on the description would be compatible with off the shelf UB.

also found these

Last edited:
I thought I'd bring this up from the grave.

It seems like most places that offer cups and brake brackets rely upon the unit bearing bolts/studs to secure the brake caliper bracket.

Crane is the exception to this.

Is there any concern over putting additional torque on the unit bearing bolts/studs?

Ever seen a basic ass 14 bolt bolt on disc brake kit? I think your concerns are non issues.

currie has brake tabs on their cups and based on the description would be compatible with off the shelf UB.

also found these

Thanks for the heads up. This style looks like the "earlier" unit bearings (99-04) I'm not sure how different 05+ unit bearings really are.

Ever seen a basic ass 14 bolt bolt on disc brake kit? I think your concerns are non issues.
Yes... which are basically the same as the D60/70 and many other; they are dedicated bolts holding the brake bracket to the housing. Sometimes it is two bolts or three bolts.

In the case of the unit bearing used in the rear, many brake kits use the bolts/studs holding the unit bearing.

Yes... which are basically the same as the D60/70 and many other; they are dedicated bolts holding the brake bracket to the housing. Sometimes it is two bolts or three bolts.

In the case of the unit bearing used in the rear, many brake kits use the bolts/studs holding the unit bearing.

Yeah, it's 4 massive studs. Again, stop over thinking the issue.

Thanks for the heads up. This style looks like the "earlier" unit bearings (99-04) I'm not sure how different 05+ unit bearings really are.

i am researching a few ideas for my next build and a rear axle solution is on the list. what the cost of a 'decent' f350 unit bearing?

im not married to the parts store replacement, especially for something compact like a UB. so running a spidertrax setup is heavily on the radar, their cups have ears for brakes.

The standard would be the SP940200 which is about $250 from Rock Auto. I personally would not waste money on the Spidertrax setup, it is essentially an unbranded Timken 05+ Ford UB that is rebuildable. But I don't know your application. Hard core Ultra4 racing. Maybe.

This thread that I made might be of some interest in here.

Yeah, it's 4 massive studs. Again, stop over thinking the issue.
I'll be the first to admit to over thinking it:homer: Part of that is because of onroad use.

i am researching a few ideas for my next build and a rear axle solution is on the list. what the cost of a 'decent' f350 unit bearing?

im not married to the parts store replacement, especially for something compact like a UB. so running a spidertrax setup is heavily on the radar, their cups have ears for brakes.
That is part of my research here is what parts work for the rear using the 05+ f350 unit bearing. I'm looking at a single spare solution.

From what I've seen, Timken bearing is ~$200.

This thread that I made might be of some interest in here.

Thanks for pulling that in. I read through it a couple times in the past already.:emb:

Most of my axle parts/methods are already set. I'm just looking for correct setup for unit bearing in the rear.

My rigs aren't racers. I do technical wheeling not 'hold my :beer: and watch'. I drive my rigs to the trail so I get to compromise a bit on "ultimate" offroad.

The standard would be the SP940200 which is about $250 from Rock Auto. I personally would not waste money on the Spidertrax setup, it is essentially an unbranded Timken 05+ Ford UB that is rebuildable. But I don't know your application. Hard core Ultra4 racing. Maybe.

main reason i like them and the currie ultimates is that they remove the drive slug from the equation. my application will be a DD/family dezertexploration rig.

maybe it's just me, but if you are going thru all the work to fab a custom rear, how hard is it to make caliper brakets that mount however you desire? weld on, bolt on, whatever....I will say bustedknuckles brake kit is the best bang for buck....just make a calipe mount to the axle if you arent using it on the front...

maybe it's just me, but if you are going thru all the work to fab a custom rear, how hard is it to make caliper brakets that mount however you desire? weld on, bolt on, whatever....I will say bustedknuckles brake kit is the best bang for buck....just make a calipe mount to the axle if you arent using it on the front...
If a good existing solution doesn't exist, fabbing up something in my fall back plan.

also found these

I think the cost of these is extremely high for what you get. All this to not have a drive flange ? Just get the 05+ setup and a driveflange and you'll have a stronger setup for 1/2 the cost.

Most of my axle parts/methods are already set. I'm just looking for correct setup for unit bearing in the rear.
My rigs aren't racers. I do technical wheeling not 'hold my :beer: and watch'. I drive my rigs to the trail so I get to compromise a bit on "ultimate" offroad.

Just get a MW or Crane cup and start building.

I don't see how driving your rig on the road has anything to do with compromising anything offroad. Especially in the axle department.

I think the cost of these is extremely high for what you get. All this to not have a drive flange ? Just get the 05+ setup and a driveflange and you'll have a stronger setup for 1/2 the cost.
Would you clarify this?

My goal is to have a single trail spare(unit bearing) It has nothing to do with avoiding flanged axle shafts in the rear.

Would you clarify this?

My goal is to have a single trail spare(unit bearing) It has nothing to do with avoiding flanged axle shafts in the rear.

I quoted mobil1syn and was commenting on the Currie UBs he was showing.
Has nothing to do with you.

I even made a separate post to answer you.

how is the 05+ a stronger setup?

how is the 05+ a stronger setup?

05+ unit bearings are about twice the size of the 35/40sp Currie/Spidertrax and other 99-04 based setups.

The new 56sp Spidertrax ProSeries are based on the 05+ platform if that gives you an idea.

05+ unit bearings are about twice the size of the 35/40sp Currie/Spidertrax and other 99-04 based setups.

The new 56sp Spidertrax ProSeries are based on the 05+ platform if that gives you an idea.

i need 5x5.5 which no one makes for the 05+

Top Back Refresh