What's new

really basic cooking info thread

Honky Lips

Welcome to the shit show.
Member Number
Loc
Omaha, Ne “ish”
so, I've got a couple things I've never looked into, and don't know what the right way is, I've always just cooked stuff.... but sometimes the basics are things people don't know. So

when cooking in a pan on the oven, or on a griddle, how hot do you cook? avoiding burning the seasoning, spattering everywhere and making a mess of the pan (stainless steel, gets the brown spatter grossness to it)

cooking with stainless steel pots and pans, what's the trick, how shouldn't you cook with them?

list some other basic how to stuff if you can think of anything someone might benefit from.

I don’t have much experience with stainless cookware, I’ve always use nonstick or cast iron.

I prefer to cook at a medium heat on the stove, unless I’m heating oil for deep frying.

We had a thread on the subject once before, but I think cooking meat correctly is a skill every one should learn.

A good meat thermometer (one of the instant type) and the touch test are beneficial to make sure you don’t ruin a nice (and now expensive) cut of meat.

807A705A-496E-42A9-AF95-150028468981.jpeg

Post #2 nails best advice, get a 1/2 decent instajab thermotempthang pretty much don't swallow shit less than 140 er sumthin. Echo the not a stainless fan, but the type have their uses for quick cooking shit like eggs n stuff. Gunna toss it in yer oven? No alternative to the superiority of the mighty cast iron, yer oven can't get hot enough to fawk it before yer vittles combust anyhows . Ain't a hole bunch needa be cooked above medhigh neether, cept fer searing shit but who gotsa time fer that shit might as well fire up the fawkn grille on the deck.

when cooking in a pan on the oven, or on a griddle, how hot do you cook? avoiding burning the seasoning, spattering everywhere and making a mess of the pan (stainless steel, gets the brown spatter grossness to it)

cooking with stainless steel pots and pans, what's the trick, how shouldn't you cook with them?
hard to answer those. We only use our griddle for non spatter stuff like pancakes. If it’s going to be messy, we move outside to the flatiron. On the flatiron, the heat is medium to high, BUT we cook things that are usually marinated that has juices and such. Even veggies we use some olive oil and the veggies make the rest of the juice. It splatters, but it doesn’t matter.

not sure how to keep seasoning from blackening. I like mine a little blackened. Maybe use olive oil to coat the pan more before putting the food on.

For some basic stuff, use avacado oil instead of canola and olive oil for general purpose cooking. Really olive oil should only be used for flavor. As for burning the seasoning, I season at the end of cooking as I generally cook meat on high heat and fast. Get a good ducth oven, they come in handy for all kinds of stuff. I have an older green pan dutch oven that is my go to when I can't use a cast iron skillet or one of my dishwasher safe non stick pans. I hate stainless steel for cooking, I can't figure it out it seems.

If you like cooking Asian food, especially sticky rice, look into how to use rice wine vinegar in you cooking. It's great in sauces and drizzled over rice it's awesome!!

Last edited:
I cook a lot, here are few things ive picked up.

Season cast iron with grapeseed oil. It breaks down at the highest temperature of common oils so when you cook meat it will hold up past the point that the fat in the meat breaks down.

When you are cooking rice in a pot put oil in the water. When all the water is cooked off leave the lid on and let the rice rest for 10 min.

When cooking pasta, salt the water and put in some olive oil. When the pasta is very el dente strain and run under cold water to stop the cooking. Drizzle with more olive oil. To finish cooking place pasta in the pan with sauce and cook until desired texture is reached.

Cast iron, season it. I've used lard, flax seed oil, and who knows whatever else. If you get a NEW cast iron pan use a DA sander to make it baby's ass smooth, then season.

An instant pot makes good rice at 1:1 rice to water. Wash your rice first, it's less sticky.

so, I've got a couple things I've never looked into, and don't know what the right way is, I've always just cooked stuff.... but sometimes the basics are things people don't know. So

list some other basic how to stuff if you can think of anything someone might benefit from.
I'll chime in about not being a fan of SST but if thats all you have...keep the heat down, SST is good of heat retention and burning stuff.
Pony up and get a set from Costco of the italian non sticks. They also sell other stuff online which was handy as I got a griddle and a LARGE fryer and lid that way. Might also consider getting a cast dutch oven, does pot roast real nice among other things plus its handy for camping.

Cast Dutch oven is the bomb. :smokin: Soup, stew, chili, corn bread, cobbler, you name it. Put it all in and wait x amount of time for it to be done. Start a camp fire, put it in the coals, then scoop the extra coals on top and bam.

Cast Dutch oven is the bomb. :smokin: Soup, stew, chili, corn bread, cobbler, you name it. Put it all in and wait x amount of time for it to be done. Start a camp fire, put it in the coals, then scoop the extra coals on top and bam.
Mine serves both at home and camp. Camp its abused as its for doing dishes in along with obligatory cooking duties. Chili, cajun taters and stew mostly for camps...

If you're like me and have a stable of 15 or so recipes that you cook often, premake the spices you'll need for each dish. It saves a ton of time while cooking and if you plan a shopping list for dinner at work like I do it doesn't leave you questioning if you have a specific spice. I got tired of second guessing myself and buying something I already had.

I buy the little Tupperware containers, mix up 10x what the recipe calls for and then add up the total tbs/cup and write it on the lid.
It doesn't seem like much, but avoiding fumblefucking around in the cupboard trying to find the 10 different spices you need gets old and wastes time.

I also have a little dry erase board on a cabinet. When I'm low on something I write it down, because I sure as hell won't remember a week later at the store or making a grocery list.

Someone mentioned precooking mushrooms when making stuffed mushrooms, dries them a bit. It's been a while since I've made them but I will do this going forward.

Someone mentioned precooking mushrooms when making stuffed mushrooms, dries them a bit. It's been a while since I've made them but I will do this going forward.
same thing with fried tater rounds
you cut them up raw, nuke them until they're cooked then you fry them until they're crispy
otherwise its hard to get them cooked through without burning them, and if you do something like steaming them in the pan with water and a lid before frying them they don't get as crispy

Top Back Refresh