What's new

ranger tcase options

tallan

Member Number
looking at picking up a ranger with a bw1354, just wondering what my doubler options are or if I should look into an atlas? truck will be running 39s

Behemoth I think is the only one supporting the RBV transfer cases. I have one in my Bronco II and have been very happy with it. Just a warning though, a lot of guys have been screwed by Behemoth (although my personal experience wasn't too bad), so proceed at your own risk.

looking at picking up a ranger with a bw1354, just wondering what my doubler options are or if I should look into an atlas? truck will be running 39s

D&D machine used to make a doubler kit for those cases. Not sure of they are in business anymore.

Northwest Fab makes an adapter to go from the 5 bolt RBV case pattern to the more common 6 bolt. It would allow you to run just about any 6 bolt case. They have an option for both 23 and 31 spline spud shafts.

http://www.northwestfab.com/25-Spline-5-Bolt-Ranger-to-6-Bolt-Round-Adapter-Kit_p_2701.html

That is good to know. If you do go that route though, most of the newer chain drive T cases don't fit very well in an RBV frame. Dana 18/20/300 should fit pretty well as well as an NP205. I think the NP208 fits the best out of the full size chain drive cases. I am not sure about how well an NP231 would fit, but it would probably work as well.

The BW1354 is a pretty decent little transfer case though, and I like mine pretty well behind the doubler. That said, If I were starting from scratch again on another RBV, I would run a full size driveline (5.0L, ZF S5-42/47, and a Dana 20/300 or NP205).

A lot of people have put BW1345 and 1356 cases in since they tend to come attached to the 302s out of F150s that people like to swap in. If you clock it up so that the widest point is in the middle of the frame rail it fits but just barely.

If you're starting from scratch the best option is probably to get a 302, M5OD and transfer case out of an F150.

If you adapt it to 6 bolt a 205 fits really nice in there if you're ok with a less than stellar low range. There are guys building 1354 diy doublers though that might be worth looking into, I've never had a problem with a manual shift 1354

Last edited:
its on 4.86 right now with 37s...i could also re-gear down to 5.43s but not sure that will be enough low for technical climbing with 38-39s?

If you adapt it to 6 bolt a 205 fits really nice in there if you're ok with a kids than stellar low range. There are guys building 1354 diy doublers though that might be worth looking into, I've never had a problem with a manual shift 1354

what does a 205 have over a bw1354 though?

Stength and aftermarket, NP205 is an all gear driven case vs, the chain drive 1345. It is a heavy pig though, and the ~2:1 low range is not the best.

In terms of sheer strength and the ability to crush rocks with the case, everything. You give up some low range ratio though.

If you plan on staying with a Ranger engine/trans I'd look into doubling the 1354.

Like the other guys said if you move to fullsize engine/trans the big chain cases don't fit in the frame well, that's why I brought up the 205

I know a guy on FSB who made a doubler out of an np208 to mate to his np208. But ot was full on custom.

Width wise, an np203/205 doubler should fit pretty well. Benefits are a full iron transfer case with 2:1 and 3.98:1 ratios. Kits are widely available to mate the two. Best bet is ford cases, but a dodge NP203 range box and output shaft can Be made to work with a ford NP205.

I have the northwest fab adapter then a 4 speed atlas in my sport trac. I personally went that way because I plan on a 5.0 swap and I can still use my atlas after the swap

Sounds like a doubler is a good idea....unless it is trail only.

Atlas 4 speed is a high bar dollar wise but a wise investment....worthy of insurance inclusion at that. At 3500 dollars it's worth 3 of my trucks.

Assuming it has a solid running 4.0....

the 6 hole adapter into a ecobox into a 205 is justifiable. The rbv frame gets a bit wider as you go back....but this combo fits regardless. If it is a regular cab, a 2-3 in body lift may eliminate floor hackage...but an ext cab will be getting cut if you want a flat belly.

The front dig capacity of the 205 almost justifies it's weight. How there is no lowmax gearset for the 205 ford is puzzling.

If your not driving high miles it's a good way to go with nwf stuff and a 205....later when or if you go to a v8....it will all still work. Whether a Ford small block...gm or dodge. Probably recover 150 to 250 for the 5 to 6 hole adapter as well.

I drive high miles and the 208 has been getting it done. But I don't do heavy rocks regular either. Seen many issues with doublers for hiway use daily that I am too old to care to deal with now....which makes an atlas 4 speed a thousand cheaper for potential aggravation and ease of install. I won't even have to change my drive shafts....just cross joints to get going..

For now run it and see what you think.

Sorry to bring up the past but I wasn't sure if you got any doubler options yet. A good friend of mine in Northern California makes BW1354 Doubler kits and intermediate shafts. There is aluminum welding involved so If that's not something you want to do you can always find a local welder to get that done. Then the rest is bolt on. His name is Michael Steelman and has a few posts on FB and TRS. I can get him in touch with you if its something your still interested in.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh