What's new

Range 570 rebuild

Tmackcj5

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
TX
So I'm new to SxS's but picked up a fixer upper 2015 Ranger 570 crew. This was a craiglist special that a friend found for me. I was heading out of town when he found it, so I haven't even seen it in person. It was cheap enough that i bought it sight unseen :homer:.

The story was that the guy bought the Ranger as part of an equipment lot at auction. It ran but had no power. The guy scoped the cylinder and said it was all scored up. He decided it was more of a project than he wanted so onto Craiglist it went.

It sounds like it will need a new top end (jug and piston). Some quick searches online turn up top end kits for cheap. Anyone see issues going with a kit like this vs going to Polaris. KIT.

It is missing the front hood, facia, and headlights. Any recommendations on parts sources? I'm sure it will need more once I get to look it over.

Pic

Attachments

• 121FDE85-51F4-475A-907D-83E84C498E4C.jpeg
    121FDE85-51F4-475A-907D-83E84C498E4C.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 27
I don't see a problem with it.
If you had time you might be able to have it re-plated and save a little but a complete kit would be nice.

Well, got it home and tore it apart last night. Looks like I’m in for a full rebuild. Found metal shavings/scoring on cam journals, broken piston, and the rod flips around on the crank like a limp dick.

F2CF4187-0178-4941-BF72-6E082197A13B.jpeg
FFBC3108-9893-4B61-961B-0A601722F688.jpeg
0A2D546F-6E00-4202-8D39-DAD69A9AF23C.jpeg

I'm going to look around at reman vs used vs full rebuild (myself).

Anyone ever heard of/used REV6 for engine rebuilds or parts? REV6 link

He said no issues with his.

The oddity he did incur is that the cylinder had "a crack" that could be welded, they docked him a few $$$ off the core charge.
I asked if he knew it was his engine or not in the pictures and he did not know but assumed they wouldn't fake the issue.

He ran his out of oil.
He opted for the 3 year no questions warranty.

Nice! I shop for a project like this. I need a 4 seater

Yeah, me too. I would love to find another one to flip and fund this one.

I haven't done much yet besides pull the engine. It sure is nice being able to just reach in and pick up the engine :lmao:. The thing couldn't have weighed 50 lbs.

After talking to some builders and getting youtube certified, my plan is to "polish" the cam and cam journals of my head and rebuild the engine myself. So far everything about these things have been super simple, so saving money by rebuilding this thing myself seems like a no brainer.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the REV6 Complete engine rebuild KIT. Seems like a good kit. It comes with a "upgraded" moly coated piston. I'm debating buying a Wiseco instead. Thoughts?

It’s just a 570, I don’t think I’d spring for the wiseco in it.

They are easy to work on. My FIL has a 570 trail 2 seater that I’ve had to work on. It came with tight valves. We had to change the valve cups at like 500 miles. I’d fix it as cheap as I can and put it to use. Your not going to get any more performance out of it being a big 4 seater.

Yeah, I'm not looking to get more performance out of it, so much as I just want longevity.

8094C6D9-E74B-4DD2-9039-EC7F9EC37438.jpeg
Had great weather this weekend so I spent some time outside working. I pulled all the panels off and gave it a much needed bath.

Took the chance to wire wheel rust and through some spray paint on the chassis.

Attachments

• A5FF6371-FC66-474B-A69F-2031BD01D7CA.jpeg
    A5FF6371-FC66-474B-A69F-2031BD01D7CA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
F195246E-6D85-4305-948B-F65C4B98FEC4.jpeg
Tips on bringing products for cleaning/shining/ bringing back faded plastics?

I tested out some products:

Left = meguires tire shine gel. This worked very well but left a slippery residue.

Left center = washed with water

Center= Mother’s back to black

Right= WD:40

I always used Mothers "back to black" on faded trip pieces and it seemed to work well. You not happy with it?

It worked okay I already have it, so it is likely what I will stick with. It just didn't make to dramatic of an improvement once it dried.

For new OEM parts I've used Rock Mountain rockymountainatvmc.com

For used parts, I had luck joining a SXS facebook page and putting up a wanted ad. A few salvage places hit me up and I was able to buy a used bed for reasonable cost.

PSN has a lot of used parts and decent prices compared to some of my local places. I have a 570 single and it it was a crew I would definitively look at a Gillman tune to the ecm. I did it on mine and even at $400 it was worth it.

Well, I still haven't got this thing put back together.

I ran into a snag when trying to replace one of the front CV boots. I spent 2 weeks trying to get CV shafts removed from the front housing. I threw everything I had at them but in the end I had to cut them to pieces to get them separated from the housing then I replaced the side gears.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

While messing around with the front end I noticed a previous owner had replaced one of the lower control arm frame mounts. The whole thing looked like shit so I cut off all of their bugger welds.

4.jpg

After that picture I went ahead and removed the frame plate they installed to so I could just start from scratch. Under that plate it looked as if they torched off the old mount by cutting out the frame all around it :homer:.

My free weekends have been spent hunting, so I haven't made any progress besides collecting more parts.

5.jpg

Damn what a bitch that is.
Mine were so worn out I was worried they were going to strip out.

8094C6D9-E74B-4DD2-9039-EC7F9EC37438.jpeg
Had great weather this weekend so I spent some time outside working. I pulled all the panels off and gave it a much needed bath.

Took the chance to wire wheel rust and through some spray paint on the chassis.
why is there a box of dirt in your garage? was that what was under the panels lol

why is there a box of dirt in your garage? was that what was under the panels lol
Yes, that’s what I cleaned out from under panels and inside those little Chanel’s supporting the rockers. That box is only the bulky parts. Plenty got blown out of the garage door.

Wrapped up the engine rebuild.

The rebuild itself was pretty easy. I was a bit frustrated that the “complete” master engine rebuild kit was not really complete.

I was using a kit from Rev6. They don’t include the balance shaft bearings. I called and talked to their teck support guys and was told they don’t include the bearings in the kit because they don’t think they need to be replaced and don’t replace them when they rebuild engines. I’m not sure how they came to the determination. The bearings are inside the crank case sitting 1” from the crank bearing. If your engine is trashed, those bearings are full of glitter. For the small cost of two bearings, I feel replacement was cheap pease of mind.
Also, they don’t include a new oil pick up/screen. Again, who in their right mind is doing a complete rebuild without replacing the pickup screen? It is going to be packed full of shit after an engine failure.
4B433A7A-E687-41F9-966B-28D8E9BE630B.jpeg

Reinstall went smooth.

C01C99F5-1937-44D6-B30B-07508A994668.jpeg

I got everything hooked up but couldn’t get it to fire up.
A little troubleshooting led me to the fuel pump. It wasn’t doing anything. When I bought the Ranger, the fuel pump was supposedly newly replaced. I bought a cheap replacement pump/sender assembly on Amazon and it fired right up. It ran great in the driveway. I made it about 100 yards before it died. It would restart (barely) but die immediately. Checked the pump and it there was very little pressure. Chocked it up to a cheap pump so I tried another. I got it swapped out and has been running for about a month now.

4925BCC9-FB83-4ECB-8C3D-F04472E34742.jpeg

I still have a small list of things to work on but for now it's "done" enough to run around to the fishing ponds.

I've got a replacement master cylinder sitting on the bench. I can't get the front brakes to firm up. It seems like only the rear brakes get pressure, so that is high on the to do list.

Top Back Refresh