What's new

Radius Arm and Spring Location Question

Toy4rnr

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
WA
So I already know the typical way to setup suspension under a rig, but I am asking this for a friend (haha). My buddy want's to SAS his Ranger and is looking at doing a radius arm setup with coil springs. With the coil buckets he has it is looking like we need to bring them closer together to keep the springs vertical. The problem is the location they will need to be in will prevent us from mounting the radius arm bracket on the inside of the coils. His coil buckets do not have mounts for links or radius arms. Is there any down side to mounting the radius arms outside the springs on the axle?

If the arms are outboard from the springs, will the tires rub the arms at full steering lock?

is it possible to do an XJ/TJ style radius arm with the lower behind/below the spring and put the uppers inboard of the springs?

If the arms are outboard from the springs, will the tires rub the arms at full steering lock?

is it possible to do an XJ/TJ style radius arm with the lower behind/below the spring and put the uppers inboard of the springs?

You bring up a good point, tires could very well contact the arms if they are that far out. I will have to see how mine look once I can steer it.

I am not sure we can inboard any of them due to how narrow his frame is and where the buckets will mount. Maybe we will have to look into options on getting the frame mounted coil buckets mounted further out from the frame. We know of radius arm lower buckets, but I think he has buckets already and is trying not to buy new ones.

I spaced the buckets out from the frame on mine, they are fully boxed now but didn't take many pictures of that part. There aremare pics in my build thread in the Ford section
IMG_20200303_125008869.jpg

I spaced the buckets out from the frame on mine, they are fully boxed now but didn't take many pictures of that part. There aremare pics in my build thread in the Ford section

Sweet deal I checked out your thread. Looks pretty solid. He has the same generation Ranger. Looking like he might bite the bullet and get the radius arm lower buckets but I'll show him that as another option, thanks!

I have a set of stock early bronco radius arms for sale if you are interested. Bay area, ca

I have a set of stock early bronco radius arms for sale if you are interested. Bay area, ca

Thanks for the offer, but we have some old radius arms already. He is going to just buy the lower coil buckets that have the brackets integrated into the already. We looked at my 4runner and the tires would definitely hit the radius arm if mounted at the ends of the axle.

Top Back Refresh