What's new

Race truck 4653

Do it! We can share a garage in Hammertown and setup adjacent pits. I welcome you the Trail Rig Racing team...we can redesign the logo to include another rig! ;)

Working on a deal as we speak.. So did you notice or feel any shock fade during the race?

Representing down here in NC
IMG_20210219_173904541.jpg

Yet you're still running steel wheels :flipoff2:​​​​​​

Keep an eye out for some 15" aluminum beadlocks. They go super cheap used since every one wants 17s.

Is there much of an advantage in a race environment though? Of course the U4 cars run Al because its slightly lighter and the top teams have a dozen sitting in the pits. Personally I'd rather have a wheel I can beat back into shape in 4600. I know my walkers are heavier than any weld on beadlock I've built.

Is there much of an advantage in a race environment though? Of course the U4 cars run Al because its slightly lighter and the top teams have a dozen sitting in the pits. Personally I'd rather have a wheel I can beat back into shape in 4600. I know my walkers are heavier than any weld on beadlock I've built.

I think rotating mass is a bigger deal than people realize, especially with little engines.

No way a walker evans is heavier than a weld on beadlock :laughing:

These are some of the reasons I stuck with the steel wheels, price was also a factor. These beadlocks are a lot lighter than the DIY kits I have put together.

I think rotating mass is a bigger deal than people realize, especially with little engines.

No way a walker evans is heavier than a weld on beadlock :laughing:

They absolutely are. I have a cnc plasma and build plenty of wheels for friends. Walkers are nearly 40, weld ons depending on wheel brand are high 20s to low 30s plus rings and hardware. They may only be a pound or two lighter but unless the rings are gigantic they usually are.

Have you driven it yet? I always noticed tire and wheel weight more than diameter.

I swear my samurai was faster on super bald 39 Iroks and 15x8 steelies than it was on 33x14.5 boggers on 15x12 Street locks :laughing:

I haven't driven it yet, I am still waiting on tcase parts. Once its back together I will be doing a wheeling trip to test them out.

They absolutely are. I have a cnc plasma and build plenty of wheels for friends. Walkers are nearly 40, weld ons depending on wheel brand are high 20s to low 30s plus rings and hardware. They may only be a pound or two lighter but unless the rings are gigantic they usually are.

My walkers weighed 38.. I can look for the pic. I had some steel bead locks before that were much heavier. A steel wheel that light doesn’t sound very strong.

Aluminum doesn’t always mean lighter. Case in point I bought 17” creeper locks and 37” Nitto trail grapplers. Creepers are 48 lbs😳 and the nittos are 85! I now feel like I’m pulling a trailer compared to my old combo. Added about 35-40 lbs. per tire. Wheels awesome but slower than a fat boy on bicycle on the highway.

Last edited:
I got my new TG dual cases today. Big thanks to Austin from Irate4x4 for the killer deal and quick shipping! My co driver got the old dual cases back together as a spare. In an effort to cut more weight I will be switching to disc brakes in the rear.
50998090303_d57b2a9818_b.jpg - Click image for larger version Name:	50998090303_d57b2a9818_b.jpg Views:	32 Size:	227.8 KB ID:	330043

50998960097_8a74b6df6a_b.jpg - Click image for larger version Name:	50998960097_8a74b6df6a_b.jpg Views:	32 Size:	248.4 KB ID:	330044

50998908232_f2f271c9c2_b.jpg - Click image for larger version Name:	50998908232_f2f271c9c2_b.jpg Views:	32 Size:	234.4 KB ID:	330045

50998090268_f320251d98_b.jpg - Click image for larger version Name:	50998090268_f320251d98_b.jpg Views:	32 Size:	282.3 KB ID:	330046

Last edited:
is there any plans to go to 9.5 land cruiser axles, like you a tore up a 8 inch ring gear doing something simple, actually 2. if the coin is it would be bad ass to do a ruff stuff or diamond or S&S Fab or any one of them with hell fire knuckles and 9.5 ring and pinion. again just talking not bashing in any way.

cheers

is there any plans to go to 9.5 land cruiser axles, like you a tore up a 8 inch ring gear doing something simple, actually 2. if the coin is it would be bad ass to do a ruff stuff or diamond or S&S Fab or any one of them with hell fire knuckles and 9.5 ring and pinion. again just talking not bashing in any way.

cheers

No plans to go away from the 8" axle stuff at this time. If I do change axles it will be a non Toyota bases axle.

Aluminum doesn’t always mean lighter. Case in point I bought 17” creeper locks and 37” Nitto trail grapplers. Creepers are 48 lbs😳 and the nittos are 85! I now feel like I’m pulling a trailer compared to my old combo. Added about 35-40 lbs. per tire. Wheels awesome but slower than a fat boy on bicycle on the highway.

Apples to apples, aluminum will be lighter.

You're comparing tire and wheel to tire and wheel, and most likely 15s to 17s. Probably even non bead lock to beadlock:laughing: makes no sense

No plans to go away from the 8" axle stuff at this time. If I do change axles it will be a non Toyota bases axle.

Good call, 9" stuff would be cheaper than high zoot toyota stuff. Plus you'd have the ability to run 6.xx or 7.xx gears.

Apples to apples, aluminum will be lighter.

You're comparing tire and wheel to tire and wheel, and most likely 15s to 17s. Probably even non bead lock to beadlock:laughing: makes no sense

Good call, 9" stuff would be cheaper than high zoot toyota stuff. Plus you'd have the ability to run 6.xx or 7.xx gears.

Busted..:lmao:

Awesome!

One little EMC race wont keep Team Trail Rig down..

BTW, the Kevlars on my rig have gone through living hell, and survived with just a sidewall patch. Great choice.

Agree on the wheel\tire weights. any reduction in rolling weight will increase your acceleration. (And shock performance)

For discs on my small crawler buggy project (not yet unveiled) I use a super light disc like this

(I fabricated my own rotor hat.. my disc.. is inboard :) Bet you dont see that everyday)

You will need a Prop valve, and a residual valve, a 2 PSI for disk. LINK

Going to install a driveline br
ake?
I use a ball valve inline with the rear brakes, and just stand on them when I need to park on a hill.
Its not as safe as a real parking brake, but it weighs nothing.

And, isnt that Austin guy swell n stuff, cuttin us killer deals on crawler parts..... :)

Keep up the killer work; each journey starts with one small step..

Awesome!

One little EMC race wont keep Team Trail Rig down..

BTW, the Kevlars on my rig have gone through living hell, and survived with just a sidewall patch. Great choice.

Agree on the wheel\tire weights. any reduction in rolling weight will increase your acceleration. (And shock performance)

For discs on my small crawler buggy project (not yet unveiled) I use a super light disc like this

(I fabricated my own rotor hat.. my disc.. is inboard :) Bet you dont see that everyday)

You will need a Prop valve, and a residual valve, a 2 PSI for disk. LINK

Going to install a driveline br
ake?
I use a ball valve inline with the rear brakes, and just stand on them when I need to park on a hill.
Its not as safe as a real parking brake, but it weighs nothing.

And, isnt that Austin guy swell n stuff, cuttin us killer deals on crawler parts..... :)

Keep up the killer work; each journey starts with one small step..

That's some good info Elvis. I raced on Kevlars back in the day. They didnt work well in east coast mud so I switched to BFG and never looked back.
afarm9-staticflickr-com_8690_17094011659_3c358036ea_c-jpg.186481.jpg

Top Back Refresh